• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Matt,
Would you elaborate on this?

I think Carrara is the only one that is available uncoated. All the others are only coated in satin or gloss.

Thanks.

Oh I dunno. I haven’t looked in many, many years. But back then, many of the marble tops were available uncoated. I think.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Should I kop?

0BE54DA7-BD93-4F16-94B8-E82F5FF900CA.jpeg

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matt,
Would you elaborate on this?

I think Carrara is the only one that is available uncoated. All the others are only coated in satin or gloss.

Thanks.

Yes, that is, to the general public (though I believe calacatta comes uncoated too, no?). However, there is a certain retail executive manager who could assist you in the NY area. This is, of course, if you're absolutely serious, and have a marble in mind you want, and will buy when a fine uncoated example has been presented to you. This is not a window shopping route, as he is a man of uncommon sensibilities and discernment, and cannot have his time wasted. Let me know if you are ready to embark on this journey, and I will make the proper arrangements.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, that is, to the general public (though I believe calacatta comes uncoated too, no?). However, there is a certain retail executive manager who could assist you in the NY area. This is, of course, if you're absolutely serious, and have a marble in mind you want, and will buy when a fine uncoated example has been presented to you. This is not a window shopping route, as he is a man of uncommon sensibilities and discernment, and cannot have his time wasted. Let me know if you are ready to embark on this journey, and I will make the proper arrangements.
At 40% of retail?

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At 40% of retail?

Even if you're not slick enough to get the trade discount, my boy can usually take some off the top. But this is if you can "work with him," take something that he needs to move, be patient, etc. If you're going in for a special request, no such luck. Better have dat trade discount or wait for the 15% off. IMHO most contemporary Knoll is way overpriced for what you're getting: MDF and so-so build quality with countless little tricks.

@Van Veen -- Where do you live again? I think it would be a great forum project to get you a real Knoll credenza (made in the golden age of production for the ritzy European business magnates, or the very sturdy early examples). Nobody ever takes my recs or follows my advice and not being an influencer is hurting my self-esteem.

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
Looking for oval dining table recommendations. Basically, I'm trying to see if there's a better option than a very good condition vintage 78'' Saarinen tulip table. I have some obscure options in mind, and I'll put some of my cards down if it looks like we can figure this out. Otherwise, I'm not giving bloggers any more free info.

I was eyeing this last year when we hadn’t decided if we wanted oval or rectangular after moving house. We went rectangle in the end, but this is still nice in a variety of sizes and finishes

TMoxleyFTW

Reaction score
I recently purchased 2 PK22's in black grace leather secondhand. For the first few months the chairs were lovely, until one day I noticed the dye had begun transferring onto my clothes. Spoke with Fritz Hansen about the problem, they told me they didn't recognize the issue, and mentioned that I could always purchase new leather covers. Is it worth (or even possible) to try and fix this problem on my own, or should I just bite the bullet?
Sorry in advance for the rant

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ did your seller apply a product to touch up or ?

i wonder if a light cleanup might not resolve fugitive transfer and also reveal some old patina i might consider hitting it with a neutral dubbin or something reasonable and gentle.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The nightstands have arrived. View attachment 1580675
Our kids, ages 5 and 8, say they're jealous and want me to order them some. We might! But prob something else first (dresser, sideboard...). Thanks @SkinnyGoomba!

What I am about to tell you is flame. Pay it no mind:

It seemeth to me that those nightstands do not serve a bed w/ a metal/non-wood frame w/o a headboard very well. I think very light woodworky nightstands call for a matching woodworky bed w/ headboard. Also, the lightness of the oak also clashes with the carpet, the color of the walls and even perhaps the floors (but this is very difficult to tell from the photo). I think you've put yourself in the position where you now need a matching oak bed from SG (wouldn't be surprised if this wily eye-talian had this planned out all along).

Alas, though I love wood, one can easily begin to run into such problems. Wood can box you in, create a coffin for you. Maybe it is not a pine coffin, but a coffin nevertheless. The room needs to be lightened up considerably IMHO if those nightstands are going to make it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads