• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The stuff is pretty amazing in person. I saw it at the National Museum in Taipei and thought it was the most interesting stuff in the museum, perhaps tied with the huge landscape paintings with small people that I also love. I have some plant pots that were clearly inspired by them (shape, colors, crackling), bought years before I visited Taiwan or had any idea what they were based on.

Yes, hard to describe in words. Must be seen to get it.

Anyway, it’s not like people these days suddenly decided Ru porcelain is worth paying attention to. It has been admired as the finest porcelain ever made in China for many, many centuries.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I think I noted earlier, it is a particularly beautiful celadon glaze. The real stuff—whether the original imperial pieces from the Song dynasty or high-quality contemporary pieces made in the same way—has a very special depth and luster. The top surface of the glaze is glass-smooth and glossy while the bottom is matte and milky. Plus, because the glaze is applied so thinly, the underlying grey porcelain peeks through at the edges and adds a greyish undertone throughout.

The aggregate effect is very unique and very difficult to achieve.

Then there is the fact that the beauty of the glaze inspired the use of simple and unadorned forms. This reflects a purposeful and modern honesty toward material and design that would not take hold in the West for nearly a millenium.

What more do you want?

a reasonable point, particularly viewed within the breadth of celadon traditions, but that would hold up better had the development of the type continued past a few decades.

i would disagree that sublimating form for the sake of color/surface is particularly purposeful or honest, especially so against the vastness of folk wares. for my money beauty emerges from function.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
a reasonable point, particularly viewed within the breadth of celadon traditions, but that would hold up better had the development of the type continued past a few decades.

i would disagree that sublimating form for the sake of color/surface is particularly purposeful or honest, especially so against the vastness of folk wares. for my money beauty emerges from function.

Not sure I understand. Why does the fact that original Ru was only produced for a few decades negatively impact its cultural significance? If anything, quite the opposite. Subsequent dynasties repeatedly tried and failed to match Song-era Ru Yao. It wasn’t until the late 20th century that modern technology allowed researchers to figure out the methodology.

Ru Yao really shouldn’t be thought of as “folk ware.” Individual pieces were considered artworks unto themselves and were commissioned by the emperor.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe somebody on here who is good with wood can help me out. I have this old Stickly desk and whenever anything wet gets on it, this white crust appears. I can scrape it off with my nail, or if I use alcohol it will come off. It is rather annoying. The desk is from the 20s and the finish isn’t consistent across it. Does this have something to do with the finish or is it something else?

View attachment 1396737
This looks like it could potentially be an original Basquiat. Maybe you shouldn't clean it.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Anyone know where one might find Schottlander's Mantis BS1 B floor lamp? I really like it, but DWR wants $1400 for a reproduction made in China which I feel is absurd. The B is important because I prefer the round base/

1590969648905.png

brokencycle

Reaction score
This is the fruit of a one minute google search:

A much better price to be sure thanks. I've seen other EU websites selling it for 800-900 EUR but then have 100 in shipping. Still made in China makes me ask: why not by the cheap Chinese knockoff that is probably made by the same factory for $300-400.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A much better price to be sure thanks. I've seen other EU websites selling it for 800-900 EUR but then have 100 in shipping. Still made in China makes me ask: why not by the cheap Chinese knockoff that is probably made by the same factory for $300-400.

Do you have a link for the knockoff?

To cite a well-worn SF adage: 'just because something is made in the same factory doesn't mean it is the same quality.'

For whatever reason, manufacturers are exceptionally bad at knocking off lighting. I mostly prefer antique lighting because I find the old stuff is more beautiful and I don't like LEDs. But if I were to buy new lighting, I'd almost certainly be concerned about brand.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Made in China is fundamentally no worse than made in Italy. It really comes down to QC. Plus, I would not be surprised if the Chinese factories have better equipment and machinery.

I’ve owned and experienced too many Italian-made things (including my fill of furniture) to have any special reverence for things made in Italy.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made in China is fundamentally no worse than made in Italy. It really comes down to QC. Plus, I would not be surprised if the Chinese factories have better equipment and machinery.

I’ve owned and experienced too many Italian-made things (including my fill of furniture) to have any special reverence for things made in Italy.

A lot of 'made in Italy' isn't really 'made in Italy' anymore. Luciano Barbera famously led a doomed crusade last decade against Versace over this matter. There's too many loopholes to the law that was on the books, and the one that Santo Versace got passed in Parliament in 2010 was purposefully meant to throw everything into further confusion (it was in conflict with EU law, and Barbera pointed this out):

There was a threak in which @Big A talked about how some Chinese factories are subsidized by the gov't: they are designed to operate at a loss in order to drive out competition. Anybody have any sources on this?

In my experience, when something fashion or decor related is really made in Italy, it will usually beat out China. However, I'd like to be proven wrong here. I'm curious if any SF members have any examples in the fashion or decor realm where made in China comes out the winner in terms of quality.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In my experience, when something fashion or decor related is really made in Italy, it will usually beat out China.
I mean, FIAT does a lot to undermine your point about Italian manufacturing excellence...

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I said fashion and decor made in Italy. I never liked Italian cars with the exception of some vintage Ferraris. But even those don't compare favorably with the beauty of some English cars or the marvels of German engineering.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads