• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conan to TBS (wtf?)

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DNW
I don't have hard data to back it up, but I would suspect that the Fox News demographics carry over to Fox. If anything, they're showing support for the Fox corporate network against the other liberal networks.

I don't have hard data either, but I would be very surprised if this were true.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DNW
You can't name either of them without the word Fox!

I hate to side with the goddamned republicans on this one but, the Simpsons espouses (and takes pride in) their overtly liberal agenda and Murdoch lets them stay on the air. Despite the fact that they constantly make fun of conservatives and Fox.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At first I thought this was a cone-boneheaded move to TBS with Lopez after Conan; I feel their demographics, while both on the young side, are still quite different.

I then realized that TBS is planning on using Family Guy and The Office to lead into Conan's nightly show, which is essentially a perfect match. They also are going to use a lot of air time during the MLB playoffs this fall to push Conan hard along with "the most. I know I'll be tuning into TBS to watch Conan along with a LOT of his followers.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
I hate to side with the goddamned republicans on this one but, the Simpsons espouses (and takes pride in) their overtly liberal agenda and Murdoch lets them stay on the air. Despite the fact that they constantly make fun of conservatives and Fox.

Murdoch is a very smart dude, which makes him even more dangerous. The Simpsons is also cash cow, and nobody wants to shoot a cash cow.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The way the deal with TBS broke down and the reasons for it.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/cona...akes-tbs-deal/

Fox just issued this statement: "Conan is a great talent and we wish him every success." Sources tell us that Fox's senior executive team which had been in discussions with Team Conan told O'Brien's representatives last week that it didn't look like a deal could happen imminently because of all the clearances necessary to launch a late-night show. Many of Fox's O&O and affiliate stations were locked into long-term syndication deals for the time slot following their local late night news. "They couldn't unwind the long-term syndication deals with 30 Rock and The Office," a source tells us. Insiders stress that Fox still wanted Conan despite the structural issues.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to his live show tonight! W0000t!

CrocsRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duff_Man
I get TBS on Rogers in Toronto and London, ON

Lucky bugger. We get that stupid Peachtree network instead out here. I'm just hoping a Canadian channel will get the rights to broadcast him.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea going to TBS. As stated Fox would've been a bit more restrictive and Fox has money to make. I doubt he'd get free reign and would probably still have a leash on him like at NBC. Ratings and money expectations would be very high to where execs would probably want their say and to stick their nose in.

TBS is in a situation where they have a younger audience, not to mention that 16-25 year olds aren't "loyal" to networks the way people 40+ are who grew up with less networks around. The younger generation is more loyal to specific people, hype, buzz and whatever is considered cool. I think it'd be tough to drag leno/letterman viewers away to fox while the goal would still be to do so so i think he'd be destined to not fail, but not beat the big 2. Not sure exactly who Kimmel's main audience is (though i like him as a person this isn't a dig at him) so conan will probably be able to do killer (for TBS at least).

He probably will have a lot more freedom on TBS since TBS really doesn't have anything to lose just letting him cut loose. Conan can probably just develop his own voice and just do his thing (whether you like his thing or not). I bet the leash is much longer and the ratings pressure isn't as high.

Also, i heard george lopez actually was pretty excited about conan coming. Probably the best thing that could happen to him. Because chances are at least some of the conan viewers will stick around to at least watch some of Lopez Tonight. George Lopez if he steps his game up could garner some new youthful fans rather than just hispanic people (maybe racist but i just assume most his ratings is hispanics which isn't bad considering the ever growing hispanic population). Not to mention that conan will probably benefit from some hispanic lopez viewership.

Mauby

Reaction score
Conan has already been on TBS more times than I care to count.

conan.jpg

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So wait... reruns of The Office will be both his lead-in and his competition?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Lucky!

There was a guy who looked like Conne in the audience tonight. I couldn't help but keep staring at him, he must've thought I was fay or something.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, Conan's team tried very hard to work a deal with Fox. However, Fox had an insurmountable obstactle - unlike NBC, CBS and ABC, Fox has a looser network affiliation with its stations, e.g. unlike the other networks, Fox does not offer a nightly newscast and its weekly broadcast schedule ends at 10:00 p.m. Eastern rather than 11:00 p.m. Eastern.

Moreover, many of Fox's affilates have already programmed the late night hours with lucrative (and cheap reruns) and Fox was unable to force its affiliates to run a late night O'Brien show. Thus, while Fox was willing to pay Conan a boatload of money, it realized that it couldn't generate enough revenue (e.g. advertising dollars) because not enough affilates were interested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads