• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

comments/questions on these c&j ?

james48

Reaction score
just picked these up (c&j leeds) - since im relatively new to "expensive" shoes, i havent really paid attention much in the past to shoe styles. Question is, would these be considered relatively conservative? meaning will i look like a shmuck wearing these in 5 years, or no? also, can anybody recommend a shoe tree that fits these (337 last i believe). I tried brooks brothers which practically fits without pushing against the spring at all, and AE trees which almost push the spring to the max. Thanks

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are very, very nice shoes and definitely represent a pretty basic and longstanding style--the 5-eyelet Norwegian-toe blucher. These appear to perhaps have hand-stitching around the apron, which, if true, would make them even nicer! They are C&J Handgrades, which makes them a very high-quality shoe (I think most on this forum would agree with that). The only thing about that model that is just ever-so-slightly unusual for such a shoe is the last. Norwegian-toe bluchers are much more commonly made on less tapered, sleek, and slightly square-toe lasts than the C&J 337. However, you should have absolutely no fears about them looking dated or wrong in the future. As for trees, any of the Woodlore, Rochester, A-E, etc., cedar models with the fatter heel piece and split front should work fine. Perhaps the A-E one you tried is one size too large for the shoes. These can be regularly found for great prices (somewhere around $14) on eBay.

Strokeman

Reaction score
It depends on what conservative means to you. In most law firms, probably not. On "casual Fridays" or those with business casual policies, then they'll be fine, but then ex hypothesi "conservative" isn't necessarily the touchstone...

james48

Reaction score
roger, thanks - the apron is hand stitched, the sales lady mentioned that a few times. The AE tree's are a small, maybe they do fit right just feels like they are too tight. Strokeman- i didnt mean conservitive in that sense, i meant in the sense that they will last a few years without looking dated.

Strokeman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by james48
roger, thanks - the apron is hand stitched, the sales lady mentioned that a few times. The AE tree's are a small, maybe they do fit right just feels like they are too tight. Strokeman- i didnt mean conservitive in that sense, i meant in the sense that they will last a few years without looking dated.

Sorry, I should have read your post more carefully! I think you should be fine, even though trends in "fashion" may have moved onto the next thing. Congratulations on your acquisition.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads