• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cognac shoes query

kpfxc

Reaction score
What's the general feeling of cognac shoes (on the darker end of the cognac spectrum, but decidedly lighter than standard "brown") paired with a conservative charcoal grey suit? Is this acceptable work dress at a bank in NY?

I've black shoes, as well, but I much prefer the cognac pair. Let me know if I'm being realistic or just delving into some wishful thinking.

Thanks

BGW

Reaction score
These questions of acceptability are always tricky. The standard reply is, as you are probably aware, that if you have to ask, it is probably at least borderline.

Keep in mind that the final answer may hinge upon details you have not provided, such as your position within the firm, the general attitude you attempt to portray through your choice of dress, the peculiarities of your particular co-workers.

Ultimately the most important issue is this: Will you feel comfortable in them in such an environment? If the answer is no, then even if your co-workers are accepting, the self-doubt you will have created with regard to the shoes is fatal.

My personal answer is that the shoes are acceptable. I would pair them with an otherwise conservative outfit, especially at first. The pairing you suggest is timelessly elegant, and so I susect that your apparently daring color choice will not be so shocking to the conscious as to endanger your professional career. Go for it.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I'd agree with BGW.

My response would depend on details that you have not provided.  Would conac shoes be my choice at an interview for an entry level position?  When making a presentation to the Board of Directors?  When apologizing to an influential client for a costly mistake I made?  Probably not.

On the other hand, I think that the lighter in color the shoe is, the more refined the leather and styling should be. If your cognac shoes are obviously expensive, and extremely well cared for, I think they would work on days when you don't have an interview, don't make presentations to the board, and don't have to apologize to influential clients.

The fact that you have asked the question suggests that you might feel uncomfortable in them, or that  your experience in your office environment tells you that the combination would be out of place.  Perhaps that is your best guide and you should listen to it.  I know that I have made quite a few purchases, but never gotten the gumption to wear them in the office.

Just my two cents....

Bic

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Bic. The lighter the shoe, the more a high quality antiquing or some other mark of great leather is important. A cheap pair of cognac leather would simply ruin the effect for me. That said, I have become more partial to shades of brown shoes every passing day.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rafaelpallma