• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cocktails in Canada

Marshdrifter

Reaction score
I've been invited to have cocktails at a friend's place for NYE and have been considering what I'm going to wear. Generally, this is going to be casual, so I'm planning on wearing some red cords and a nordic sweater. I've thought about wearing an odd jacket or something but this is in Canada and a jacket without shoes seems unbalanced to me.

For context, in Canada it's customary to remove one's footwear when entering a home.

So here's my question for all of the Canadians: What do you wear to events in someone's home when the occasion calls for cocktail attire or something more formal? Do you just rock the socks? Do you bring some form of house shoe?

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been invited to have cocktails at a friend's place for NYE and have been considering what I'm going to wear. Generally, this is going to be casual, so I'm planning on wearing some red cords and a nordic sweater. I've thought about wearing an odd jacket or something but this is in Canada and a jacket without shoes seems unbalanced to me.

For context, in Canada it's customary to remove one's footwear when entering a home.

So here's my question for all of the Canadians: What do you wear to events in someone's home when the occasion calls for cocktail attire or something more formal? Do you just rock the socks? Do you bring some form of house shoe?

This is a styleforum answer! I know us Canadian are not the best dressed but this is what you should be wearing as a SF member!! We are extremely classy here!!!

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not Canadian, but it's hard for me to fathom a cocktail party anywhere, where taking your shoes off is required. Shoeless is not cocktail attire.
I'd most likely turn around at the door.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not Canadian, but it's hard for me to fathom a cocktail party anywhere, where taking your shoes off is required. Shoeless is not cocktail attire.
I'd most likely turn around at the door.
Yes you are definitely not Canadian!! 9 out of 10 gatherings here are most likely going to ask you politely to take your shoes out prior to entering here.

Marshdrifter

Reaction score

Marshdrifter

Reaction score
Shoeless is not cocktail attire.
Which is the reason I'm asking. So what would you do, assuming that you don't want to get turned away at the door?

I hadn't thought of it until after I posted the original post, but I imagine that it might be similar in Japan.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which is the reason I'm asking. So what would you do, assuming that you don't want to get turned away at the door?

I hadn't thought of it until after I posted the original post, but I imagine that it might be similar in Japan.
Japan is what came first to mind as well, and I have no idea lol.
If I was in your situation, and committed to going in, I'd go with hand carrying some kind of velvet house shoe. Make a big deal of the transition while the host is watching.......eh

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Japan is what came first to mind as well, and I have no idea lol.
If I was in your situation, and committed to going in, I'd go with hand carrying some kind of velvet house shoe. Make a big deal of the transition while the host is watching.......eh
We don’t really say eh here!! 🤣🤣 just like when I was living in Houston Texas not many used howdy lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics