• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Club Monaco: Adventures in decent clothing and horrible marketing

zxcvbn

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up on the sale; picked up what seemed like the last pair of the burgundy wool-cashmere MIUSA pants :)

xxxamazexxx

Reaction score
I'm guessing CM didn't do too well in 2013. The store in Pentagon CIty is closing the end of this month as well. All sale items are 70% off as well. I went in there the other day and I was informed that everything in store will eventually go on sale in the next few weeks. I did notice on my receipt that all sales are final.

That's so sad. I think I spent more money on CM than any other brand in 2013. Some of my friends are getting into it too.

But it's true that CM caters to a very narrow niche (slim-built fashion-forward urban chic 20-30something with money) and their reach is nowhere as far as J.Crew.

Last edited:

pokpok

Reaction score

FYI, this year's peacoat fits extra extra slim. Very trim, even at arm holes
I'm a true xs, at 5'7 135ibs
Ordered charcoal and navy in extra small, and I feel restriction in mvmnt everywhere. I advise you to def size up on these, if any of you plan on layering anything more than a tee on your usual size.

Just received my medium peacoat and it was slim fitting in the body and too tight in the arms even with a tshirt on.

Medium being returned and I have a large coming in tomorrow.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are holding up good for me. I have a pair in hopsack though where there is too much abrasion where the inseams meet, but I hear that is par for the course if the material has any kind of texture to it. I would like them even better if they had a higher rise. I find that low rise pants are not great for me. I may have posted a few pictures back in this thread when i got them too.

xxxamazexxx

Reaction score
Did CM have an extended holiday return window for Christmas? Bought some stuff December 19 and need to return some of them...

jlittlew

Reaction score
I'd love some help/advice on fit. I'm looking at the "Grant" wool trousers -- both the normal "wool" and the "Italian wool". I'm looking for a slim a fit as possible (I'm 5' 10" and about 135lbs) but I couldn't find additional measurements on these trousers. Any comments on the rise or how slim they are through the thigh and leg?

I'm also interested in the Made in USA Cotton Blazer in 36R, but again, wondering how boxy it will be. Any advice? Thanks!

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd love some help/advice on fit. I'm looking at the "Grant" wool trousers -- both the normal "wool" and the "Italian wool". I'm looking for a slim a fit as possible (I'm 5' 10" and about 135lbs) but I couldn't find additional measurements on these trousers. Any comments on the rise or how slim they are through the thigh and leg?

I'm also interested in the Made in USA Cotton Blazer in 36R, but again, wondering how boxy it will be. Any advice? Thanks!

Well I'm 5'9 and a bit and I"m 145. When I tried on the grant dress pant it was slim but the waist even at 28 was still about an inch big. CM as you know is vanity sized.

Grant is the slim fit and the wright is the more relaxed fit. I can't tell you exact measurements though, just it was slim. Your best bet is to try it on in store.

Buy on sale only unless you have deep pockets.

I'm going to buy some dress pants in the coming future so I can update this thread accordingly

goldenbear

Reaction score
I bought two slim plaid flannel type shirts in Winter 2011 and they look terrific. I regret not buying four. I would gladly pay double (I got them on Black Friday sale 2 for $100) for the same styles in a heavier fabric w/ better materials--although the shirts have held up well and I often receive compliments when I wear them. They will be part of my line-up again next Winter. I also bought two linen shirts at the end of the Summer 2011 or 12 (don't recall) and they have also held up and still look great. I'll wear again this Summer. That said, I looked around this Winter and was disappointed. The shirts feel thinner and shoddier and I didn't care at all for the styles. I don't know if they have hired new designers or what. Club Monaco used to be the best of the mall brands, but I wasn't impressed with my visit this year.

Last edited:

jlittlew

Reaction score
Well I'm 5'9 and a bit and I"m 145. When I tried on the grant dress pant it was slim but the waist even at 28 was still about an inch big. CM as you know is vanity sized.

Grant is the slim fit and the wright is the more relaxed fit. I can't tell you exact measurements though, just it was slim. Your best bet is to try it on in store.

Buy on sale only unless you have deep pockets.

I'm going to buy some dress pants in the coming future so I can update this thread accordingly

Thanks for the response, appreciate it. The Grant had a pretty decent fit -- but still not quite as slim as I would like. I didn't like the fabric color in person, so returned it.

The Made in USA navy cotton blazer I'm keeping -- it is slim and almost-too-short, but OK. Button stance is a little high, but I think I can live. The fabric is seersucker (which was news to me -- I don't think was specified on the website) but has some cool texture to it. Doesn't have maker label, but the UNITE HERE label inside is nice. Cheesy plastic buttons -- any thoughts on what to replace them with? They are just boring cheap-looking black plastic.

Overall, not too bad for $150, feels like I'll get a lot of wear out of it as a pretty casual spring/summer option. Major upgrade from the $70 Uniqlo cotton blazer that's for sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads