• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clever ways to make extra money on the side

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work a 9-5 but I'd like to explore ways to make a little money on the side. I've considered freelancing and will probably look down that road in the future, but I'm looking for something fairly creative to do with my spare time that I can make a little money on and tuck away in savings.

I recently got a dining room set at a thrift store that I am in the process of restoring. While I am intending to keep this one, I was thinking that restoring and flipping thrift store furniture might be something I could do. The set I got was $70 and I was thinking fully restored I might be able to sell it on CL for $200-300.

Any other feasible ways to make some cash on the side?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unless you've got the skills for poker or have some unique set of skills that are conducive towards making money, i'd just focus that free time on improving the skills that are relevant to your career so that you get promoted/higher salary, etc. Maybe that means some sort project management course or something else entirely...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
I work a 9-5 but I'd like to explore ways to make a little money on the side. I've considered freelancing and will probably look down that road in the future, but I'm looking for something fairly creative to do with my spare time that I can make a little money on and tuck away in savings.

I recently got a dining room set at a thrift store that I am in the process of restoring. While I am intending to keep this one, I was thinking that restoring and flipping thrift store furniture might be something I could do. The set I got was $70 and I was thinking fully restored I might be able to sell it on CL for $200-300.

Any other feasible ways to make some cash on the side?

How many hours will it take you to do that and how much in materials? Say even $30 in materials, so $100 in costs. Say you take 10 hours to refinish it, takes a two hours to shop and buy the table you want (gas but getting to detailed probably) and take two hours to sell it. Any advertising or going to a flea market or something? So say $20 for gas to shop and flea market, or gas to shop and advertisement in penny saver or something. So $120 cost plus say 14 hours into it. Sell for $250 and that leaves net of $130 for 14 hours worth of time, or about $9.28 an hour.

Every time I used to think about a side line, that's how I would examine it.

I would do something that either takes in more or costs less in both input materials and time.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
How many hours will it take you to do that and how much in materials? Say even $30 in materials, so $100 in costs. Say you take 10 hours to refinish it, takes a two hours to shop and buy the table you want (gas but getting to detailed probably) and take two hours to sell it. Any advertising or going to a flea market or something? So say $20 for gas to shop and flea market, or gas to shop and advertisement in penny saver or something. So $120 cost plus say 14 hours into it. Sell for $250 and that leaves net of $130 for 14 hours worth of time, or about $9.28 an hour.

I would do something that either takes in more or costs less in both input materials and time.

How old were you when you discovered that?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
How old were you when you discovered that?

Early 20s, when someone wanted to sell me beer making equipment so I could re-sell it.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Early 20s, when someone wanted to sell me beer making equipment so I could re-sell it.

Some people don't realize that until their 40's... or even never. It was late 20's for me.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand your post Piobare and have considered that. If it was something I enjoyed doing for fun I wouldn't mind spending my free time on it. This was just an example I had thought of. I might look at taking a part time job to make a little extra money. I'll be going back to school in the fall, so that will probably keep me busy too.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I understand your post Piobare and have considered that. If it was something I enjoyed doing for fun I wouldn't mind spending my free time on it. This was just an example I had thought of. I might look at taking a part time job to make a little extra money. I'll be going back to school in the fall, so that will probably keep me busy too.

If you can make any money off doing something you enjoy, you're ahead of the game.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Making money - look at: Skills you have that others don't. Essentially someone will pay you because you can do something they don't know how to do, EXPERTISE. Think about some sort of package deal. Ie, you know about clothes, be a wardrobe consultant. I have a 10 step process, the cost is X, etc You are willing to do something others aren't, ie CONVENIENCE. Is there some task you like and are good at that others find difficult and could do but just don't want to. Let's say you love gardening/lanscaping. The average joe could dig a hole and plant a tree but they just don't want to. SUPPLY - Take an inventory of what resources you have available that other don't. Maybe something that had a high capital expenditure that others would jsut want to use once. Say you have a flatbed truck. CL people might want you to move stuff for them. Or Pio has a smoker machine. approach some charter fishing boat company and offer their customers the option to use your smoker on weekends DEMAND - see if you can pinpoint a concentration point of people with similar characteristics. so say you're a respected member of an online fashion board with men who like to buy clothes. Approach your friends and tell them you'll sell their stuff for them for a commission fee. Compare the "free" or "for sale " list at Craigs and then the "Wanted" list. your job is making the connection, buy one, move it to the other. pure arbitrage. line up 2+ buyers for every seller just incase. hope that's a start. i'm curious to hear what others have

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do catering gigs as a server. You get free food and you meet plenty of drunk sluts.

sfaith

Reaction score
If you are interested in finance, you can learn and get into Forex. It might not be for you if you hate numbers and going technical.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do catering gigs as a server. You get free food and you meet plenty of drunk sluts.

This. Easy as hell and they usually pay relatively well for the lack of work and skill you need. Try high end country clubs. I would do womens lunches and all you had to do was refill tea.

If you can make any money off doing something you enjoy, you're ahead of the game.

True. I always look at the time vs. money thing. At this point I have more free time than I do expendable income, but if there was something I could get paid to do that I like then I do it. Unfortuantely I don't really have any hobbies, skills or education, so Im stuck.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. I did this in Atlanta and usual pay was min wage plus a minimum $200 cash "tip" for the night. Bartending would add upwards of $100 in cash tips from drinkers, more if it was open bar.

Drunk sluts rarely pan out though, by the time you clean and pack up they have run off with some immediately available dude.

K

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just learned a life's lesson. Thank you Piobaire!

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just too much of a troll these days, but it stupefies me that nobody has yet suggested, or posted pictures of, ****** prostitution.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeKirk