• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic shoe

fiftyfour

Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions for a classic/iconic shoe. Something that I will mostly wear with jeans or chinos and a polo or button down shirt. I don't mind spending money for quality. I have been wearing a Sperry penny loafer in this role, but want to upgrade. I don't like boots. I prefer brown. Not sure if I should look at a loafer, a wingtip? I want something classic and timeless, like a Rolex watch, Levis 501s or a Barbour Beaufort. I would like to buy a brand that has been around for a while, a shoe that was being sold 40 years ago and will still be sold 40 from now, but is stylish in a classic way. I am 38 years old and live in San Francisco Bay area. Things are really casual here.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden shell cordovan longwing, either whiskey, cigar or #8. You'll never look back. If you are interested in some brand history, check out this video that Epaulet in Brooklyn did on them. That's mine in whiskey below, there are pictures all over this forum in various colors, just search.
DSC_0071-1.jpg
DSC_0075-1.jpg
DSC_0069-1.jpg
Check Alden of Caramel and Leather Soul or Alden of NY

fiftyfour

Reaction score
That is a beautiful shoe!! I'm scared to ask how much money I am looking at. Would really like to hear some more options too. What is the feeling on a Gucci Loafer? Bass?

dsgNYC

Reaction score
If you want a classic shoe that will last, it's not going to come cheap. In all honesty, $550 for the shoe above isn't that bad, especially since it'll last you forever.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A cheap substitute for the Alden Longwing would be the vintage Florsheim Imperial Longwing. Granted it's a poor comparison, but the closest in my opinion. You can usually find them on ebay between $40-$100. Keep in mind they will be used, but you can always get the soles and footbed replaced and it will still be cheaper than a pair of new Aldens.

Also, keep your eye on the B&S forum, sometimes you can find a pair of Aldens for cheap.

fiftyfour

Reaction score
I really like the Alden shoe, but not sure I can spend quite that much. I was looking at the Florsheim website. They have some really nice looking similar shoes for half the price. Any reason I would look for a vintage Florsheim as opposed to a new pair?

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes ... construction, quality of leather -- many reasons.

If you're tempted by the Alden's consider spending deeply and wisely. An epic pair of shoes will last you long enough to get your money out of them, even at the cost of new shell Alden's.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
Yes ... construction, quality of leather -- many reasons.

If you're tempted by the Alden's consider spending deeply and wisely. An epic pair of shoes will last you long enough to get your money out of them, even at the cost of new shell Alden's.

+1. I'd stay away from new Florsheim.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmoody15
DrZRM - What type of jeans are those? I like the color and cut.

KMW 1950s. Great jean.

emmanuel, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I've been wearing American longwing gunboats since I thrifted my first pair of Florsheims in high school, and fell in love with pre-Prada Church's wingtips in college. These whiskey Aldens are by far my favorite shoes that I own, and I can't think of anything I don't own I'd trade them in for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads