• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

classic cars as semi-regular driver

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really, I couldn't stop looking at this 911: http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars...d=120AB903F583 For all of you in the US, the Australian car market is quite a different beast. Mustangs are far, far less common and in general, collectible older cars are more expensive than in the US. I would absolutely hate to think of how much any sort of Shelby-associated Mustang would sell for here, but I suspect that it would be an absurdly high price (although recent economic conditions might have knocked the market about a bit). I like older Mustangs, but I love older Porsches. Typically, pre-1973/74 911s will command higher prices than those from 73/74 onwards as they are more collectible and better-looking. From 1974 onwards, the cars gained ugly rubber bumpers, increasingly flared rear arches and most had large "tea tray" or whale-tail spoilers. Interior seating and ergonomics lacked the retro-charm of the interiors of the 1960s and 70s 911s, too. I've seen a 1969 911 with Recaro seats with black leather edging but full-on burnt orange, light-green and black striped inserts made from velour running down the middle of the seats. Curiously attractive in a retro way.

jase12

Reaction score
lovely 911. not usually a fan of the T top but that is a lovely example. not a bad price either

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Safety is definately a concern...you won't have airbags and you wan't have ABS.

Also, some of these cars are harder to drive (physically) than modern drivers are used to. The only 911 I have driven is a little newer than what is discussed here but still in the vintage realm and the clutch/shift process took a lot more muscle than on a modern car.

Also, non-power steering takes extra strength to make the turns...

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jase12
im tossing up between a mid 60's mustang or a mid 70's porsche 911. any thoughts?

My brother has had, and sold, both. A 66 stang and not sure what age 911. The Stang was cheap to keep running, the Porsche, no. But he did live in a small town a long ways from anybody who new what they were doing with 911's.

He always keeps one or two vintage beaters/DD's around for warm weather.

jase12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc

Also, some of these cars are harder to drive (physically) than modern drivers are used to. The only 911 I have driven is a little newer than what is discussed here but still in the vintage realm and the clutch/shift process took a lot more muscle than on a modern car.

as i said i ride a motorbike 3 or 4 times a week, which doesnt have abs or airbags (although i would try and aim for some bushes if i came off
laugh.gif
) my first car was a 1965 EH Holden. column shift manual with no power steering and about as much horsepower as my ride on mower, so i'm used to the extra effort of driving an old car!

really great advice and input from everyone, thanks

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Were they actual Hertzes or just the paint job with the mods?
NVM

....the car I saw was a 67' with Hertz Shelby add-ons, so pricing wouldn't accurate when comparable to a fully restored model with matching numbers. The Hertz were a rare rental version of the GT350's, which were most often used by some to track race over the weekends.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
NVM

....the car I saw was a 67' with Hertz Shelby add-ons, so pricing wouldn't accurate when comparable to a fully restored model with matching numbers. The Hertz were a rare rental version of the GT350's, which were most often used by some to track race over the weekends.

Yeah to be honest with you, I don't know why someone would buy a kit hertz. Well...I don't get why they created an Eleanor either but whatever. I like concourse restorations if you couldn't tell.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jase12
im tossing up between a mid 60's mustang or a mid 70's porsche 911. any thoughts?

My every day driver for the last 3 years was a '79 Porsche 911SC. It is by far the most reliable car I have ever owned. My dad bought it new in '79 and according to my dad it has never not started.

My commute to work is 45min in traffic and while I will admit it is not as comfortable as the Jag I drive now it was comfortable enough. It has a pretty heavy clutch which is something that you will get used to. They are really fun to drive and there is not a lot to go wrong as it has almost no equipment.

The only reason that I am not driving the car now is that I live in California and it does not have air conditioning.

The 911SC is definitely a good every day driver in my opinion.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirWilliam
My every day driver for the last 3 years was a '79 Porsche 911SC. It is by far the most reliable car I have ever owned. My dad bought it new in '79 and according to my dad it has never not started.

My commute to work is 45min in traffic and while I will admit it is not as comfortable as the Jag I drive now it was comfortable enough. It has a pretty heavy clutch which is something that you will get used to. They are really fun to drive and there is not a lot to go wrong as it has almost no equipment.

The only reason that I am not driving the car now is that I live in California and it does not have air conditioning.

The 911SC is definitely a good every day driver in my opinion.

Pics?

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Yeah to be honest with you, I don't know why someone would buy a kit hertz. Well...I don't get why they created an Eleanor either but whatever. I like concourse restorations if you couldn't tell.
lol....I'm the same way.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc

Yes your leg will probably get tired in the beginning because of the heavy clutch but you will get used to it. Parallel parking is probably the most difficult thing you will do because they do not have power steering...I always looked at it as a great workout for your pecks.

Yes these old cars really are not very safe... My Porsche does not have ABS and I admit I have locked up the brakes a couple times before. The trick though in stopping fast without ABS is one quick hard jab to the brake pedal and then pulse the pedal as quickly as possible.

Another safety issue would be the unusual handling characteristics. Because the engine hangs over the back wheels the weight distribution is really poor. It is really easy to get the tail out and if you are not careful you will go ass backwards into something. The best solution is to go to a PCA Autocross which costs next to nothing to participate in and you will get free instruction on how to drive you car.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads