• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clarks Desert Boots

skaya

Reaction score
Hey, i'm new here, i've read lot of post in this thread and i have a question for those who bought the sand suede ones

i think i never saw them in real and i would want to know the exact color like this one : http://www.kittehscupcakes.nl/2013/08/ootd-and-we-build-up-castles-in-the-sky-and-in-the-sand/

or like that : http://www.asos.fr/Lee-Cain-Jean-sk...Rml0LUVhc3ktUmluc2UvUHJvZC8.&WT.ac=rec_viewed

i saw this link on amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007MFX08/ref=twister_B0007MCUTK
the sole looks more yellow

sorry for my english and thanks !

jhwendland

Reaction score
Since no one else is speaking up, I can offer an educated guess. I'd imagine in person they look more like the pictures on Amazon and the blog. Over time, they might darken and look more like the pair on ASOS, which have definitely been worn in a bit. A suede protector might have been applied to the ASOS pair as well.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I was thinking about this the other day. With regular wear, say, even once or twice a week, my Clarks give out after about 2-3 years. At 100 a shot, I'm wondering if it's worth buying these again. On the other hand, Red Wing Heritage has some great looking chukkas, and I know those would be a much longer-lasting shoe, maybe even a lifetime shoe. More expensive initial at over $200, but worth it.

skaya

Reaction score
thanks for your answer, and for the pic

it looks close with oakwood, i'm hesitating beetween both of them.

sand suede looks better worn than brand new..

jhwendland

Reaction score
I was thinking about this the other day. With regular wear, say, even once or twice a week, my Clarks give out after about 2-3 years. At 100 a shot, I'm wondering if it's worth buying these again. On the other hand, Red Wing Heritage has some great looking chukkas, and I know those would be a much longer-lasting shoe, maybe even a lifetime shoe. More expensive initial at over $200, but worth it.
I don't see anything wrong with spending $100 on a pair of shoes that lasts you two to three years. That said, I've been looking for a more luxe chukka too. I prefer a chukka in suede, so I'm not sure Red Wing is the answer. Plus, their offerings sell at well over $200 (the Beckman Chukka is sold almost universally at $350 online).

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I don't see anything wrong with spending $100 on a pair of shoes that lasts you two to three years.  That said, I've been looking for a more luxe chukka too.  I prefer a chukka in suede, so I'm not sure Red Wing is the answer.  Plus, their offerings sell at well over $200 (the Beckman Chukka is sold almost universally at $350 online).

If I'm not mistaken, I think RW Heritage does make a suede chukka. I'll have to check their site again but I could swear I saw one there.

Here we go: http://www.redwingheritage.com/boot.../3138-red-wing-heritage-mens-chukka-boot-gray

I guess it might not be technically suede. They call it rough and tough.

But yeah, in the scheme of things, I guess 100 isn't bad for a stylish shoe that will take me through 2-3 years.

I do like the RW stuff, though. Quite a lot.

Last edited:

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a size check....

AE - 9
Wolverine 1k - 9
8UK for standard shoes.

Does 9D make sense for CDB in beeswax?

They're about $50 right now on Amzn.

AAJJLLPP

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, I think RW Heritage does make a suede chukka. I'll have to check their site again but I could swear I saw one there.

Here we go: http://www.redwingheritage.com/boot.../3138-red-wing-heritage-mens-chukka-boot-gray

I guess it might not be technically suede. They call it rough and tough.

But yeah, in the scheme of things, I guess 100 isn't bad for a stylish shoe that will take me through 2-3 years.

I do like the RW stuff, though. Quite a lot.
Rough and tough is not suede. It is their distressed full grain leather. However they do make suede chukkas, such as the 3144, 3147, and 3149.

masshi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking for a size check....

AE - 9
Wolverine 1k - 9
8UK for standard shoes.

Does 9D make sense for CDB in beeswax?

They're about $50 right now on Amzn.

does Amazon not have free returns in the uk?

otherwise just order multiple pairs (unless they're only $50 in a specific size)

dreamsburndown

Reaction score
I have Red Wing Iron Rangers in "Amber Harness" and they're definitely well made. They look good even when they get dirty and they're easy to clean, and with proper care they can last for ages. I really love the work chukka in "Briar Oil Slick" but I got my Red Wings to withstand the horrible winters where I live, so I didn't want to get anything with a crepe sole that might get jaundiced by dirt and salt. My biggest issue with Clarks is that the suede is too hard to protect. My desert boots look like **** after a year and a half, but I'm feeling the Wallabees more lately anyway. Wu-Tang and Walter White convinced me that it's an ill vibe. Do you know of a good suede protector? I sprayed two coats of "Pedag" on my Wallabee boots but I'm not sure it works that well. The sand is my favourite colour but clearly the hardest to keep clean.

Last edited:

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
To me Clarks look good when they get roughed in a bit. I don't think of them as a dress shoe, although I do try to keep my chocolate brown ones nice looking. But I don't obsess over it. I just wear them and let what happens happen.

I think you are the only person I've heard say they run small. They are notorious for a fitting big.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics