• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clarks Desert Boots

acinod

Reaction score
I've never seen snow in my life but will be spending a week walking around NYC streets during Christmas.

Will I survive with a pair of Clarks Desert Boots in Beeswax Leather or should I buy a pair of Red Wings?

Last edited:

bazh

Reaction score
I have my Desert Boots worn for over a year now, it's Oakwood suede and now so dirty, what can I do :(

elimmie

Reaction score
Desert Boots and snow are not a good combination. And neither are temperatures below 5°C . You should consider buying the Red Wings!

AAJJLLPP

Reaction score

I have my Desert Boots worn for over a year now, it's Oakwood suede and now so dirty, what can I do :(

To clean suede you usually use either a specific suede brush(basically just a really rough brush, sometime made of metal wires) or a suede eraser (which is a rubbery peice that works well). You should be able to find both of these at a local shoe store.

Flyinglion

Reaction score
So just recently my laces snapped. I emailed Clarks about getting a free replacement, but so far there's been no reply telling me I'll be getting anything.

Does anyone know of a place where I could get a similar pair of replacement laces? I've got the original beeswax desert boots.

jmaudi0

Reaction score
They will do free lace replacements. I've done it twice. Give them a few days to respond.

chocobo

Reaction score
I recently bought some Clarks Bushacres from Amazon. I bought them in the same size as my old CDBs and that was a mistake, Bushacres do not run nearly as large as CDBs, so I exchanged them for my correct size.
The new ones arrived today and I'm not sure if I'm happy with them. Here are two photos I took:
http://imgur.com/gvmrWUF,gaIAB3O#1 The white material is supposed to run in a line around the base of the shoe. On the inner part of the left shoe, there isn't any.
http://imgur.com/gvmrWUF,gaIAB3O#0 A thin line of sticky glue had dribbled onto the side of this shoe. I pulled the glue up, which left a line with uncolored leather underneath. I'm pretty sure I can fix this by rubbing the nearby material and smoothing it over, since it's such a thin line.
It's mostly the missing white material that I care about. Would you bother to return these or just keep them? If it was from a local store it would be an easy fix, but I'd have to re-order from Amazon and send these back. It doesn't cost anything, but I'd have to bother with returning them and placing a new order and waiting a week etc., all just for part of a white line.... still, I like my brand new products to look new and not have flaws in them.
I know this is pretty unimportant but I'd appreciate some input on what you would do if you received these. Thanks.

killingtime15

Reaction score
I'd say return 'em. Even when clarks get beat up n dirty, the white line remains visible. So long as you're not in a rush to wear em.

AAJJLLPP

Reaction score
I think the burgundy looks too shiny and formal for how casual clarks are. I think the beeswax looks better, and besides, the soles wear out before the leather does. And its not really worth resoling. The leather quality might not be that good on the beeswax ones, but they do age nicely.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts on the new Horween models?  http://www.onlineshoes.com/Mens-clarks-desert-boot-burgundy-horween-leather-p_id303411?adtrack=tpart

On the one hand, the fact that they're actually making them out of reasonably decent leather now (optionally) has me considering buying a pair.  On the other hand, they come only in green and purple.

I bought the burgundy instead of an Alden Chukka in #8. So much cheaper and pretty comprable looks. The leather is definitely not first rate as there are lots of visible scars, but it's full grain.

Buy it if it's the look you want. The quality is pretty darn good for the $120 I paid; IMO.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads