• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clarks Desert Boots

vince24L

Reaction score
Oh wow. My boots like exactly like your before, and I want them to look exactly like your after. Can you tell me what kind of beeswax you used?

I literally used the cheapest 100 percent beeswax off ebay.. It was like 3 bucks. Mink oil will wear down the threading over time. Stick to beeswax.

Reaction score

Just found out that the heel on my vintage brown leather desert boots began to tear, and is now showing a hole that is uncomfortable when walking. What bugs me is that the boots arent even 1 year old. And i havent worn them everyday or abused them. Here is a picture. I sent an email to clarks but they didnt even bothered to respond... poor quality, made in vietnam boots, thats all i can say. I hope the beeswax pair i bought doesnt suffer from this. Anyone has the same problem?
That's just the lining - mine also wore through within 6 months, probably because mine are slightly too big. It's ok, the actual leather upper is incredibly tough and isn't a problem.I honestly couldn't tell the difference unless I looked; it felt just as comfortable for me. Also, for $70, it's still a damn good shoe.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So what is the consensus of the desert boot vs the bushacre? They seem the same to me except the sole. 
crepe soles feel better

tm1210

Reaction score
Just bought a new pair if DBs in Beeswax and they're kind of tight at the front pushing my little toes inwards. I've had to wrap them in plasters which has helped. I remember having this problem with a pair of Redwing Chukkas and they never did stretch.

I was wondering if these stretch over time? The fit probably doesn't suit my feet but they're just too good looking on. I'd like to push trough the pain if possible.

Last edited:

elduderino

Reaction score
Sure they'll stretch a bit, but if it's that tight it hurts, I'd look for another pair of wider chukkas. You could maybe try and let a professional stretch them, but the risk of them losing their shape is one I wouldn't take. There's a broad variety of different chukkas and dbs since the clarks became so iconic over the last years, so you'll probably find something similar with more comfort for your wide forefoot.

vadansky

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting the beeswax desert boots, but I'm worried what'll happen come winter with all the snow. Should I get the vinyl ones? (They are on sale for $84 as well). Or should I just get the beeswax and save them for summer and spring?

jhwendland

Reaction score
With their crepe soles, these shoes don't offer much traction in precipitation (rain or snow), but that shouldn't come as much of a surprise given that they are called desert boots. I wouldn't worry about how well they'll hold up. Although all the whining in this thread might have you believe otherwise, the Clark's desert boots are remarkably durable.

mojserkis

Reaction score
So what is the consensus of the desert boot vs the bushacre? They seem the same to me except the sole.

It's kind of a toss up. The colors can vary slightly between the models. I like the look of the sand suede bushacres much more than the sand suede DBs. I think the difference in comfort is negligible.

xxxamazexxx

Reaction score
Then what kind of construction is used in the shoes? I'm assuming they're not glued because of the visible stitching.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads