• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clarks Desert Boots

Brian Itzaina

Reaction score

Noob question, but what kind of socks do you wear with dbs?

I typically wear medium hiking smart wool socks when they're clean. Otherwise whatever's clean. Once they're broken in they feel like a comfy shoe more than anything. I wear a 10 in vans and a nine in Clark's with plenty room. I even bought a second pair in 8.5 on accident, wore them for a week until I found my old shoe box realizing I wore 9's.

NorthernTiger

Reaction score

Does anyone know where I can get these style soles or something similar? I have grown out of the "heeled look" on my DB's and want something a little more low profile. These are Clarks Desert Drifts. I tried emailing them but they didn't answer.
You could probably take them to a cobbler with that picture and see what he says. I recall other users saying that they just got their Clark's DBs resoled with something like that after they got tired of the crepe sole/wore it out.

Last edited:

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

K2793

Reaction score
Picked up beeswax bushacres and love em. What would be the next color I should pick up that's very versatile? I wear lots of khaki/grey chinos and dark indigo denim.

trevorplease

Reaction score

Does anyone know where I can get these style soles or something similar? I have grown out of the "heeled look" on my DB's and want something a little more low profile. These are Clarks Desert Drifts. I tried emailing them but they didn't answer.
these are nice... why don't you just buy em?

K2793

Reaction score
So I sno sealed my beeswax, let them dry for about 6 hours then put them on to go out. Idk if it takes longer to dry but the creases on them look pretty bad. I guess I was expecting a cleaner finish after the sno seal. Maybe I applied it poorly but the creases stick out from the darker leather of the sno seal. Will post a picture.

What should I do? Would more sno seal on the cracks help or will it just happen again when I walk in them?

Cognitive

Reaction score
Just picked up a pair in beeswax from amazon this weekend. They showed up today, and I tried them on. Something that seems a bit odd to me, but may be normal occurred (I've never owned leather shoes before): the color immediately faded from the flex points as a I walked. This is normal, right?

Reading over this thread, it looks like I should pick up some mink oil to keep them in good shape. Any recommendations on brands?

lwkeung

Reaction score
Ignore the creases, discoloration and changes in color. They will be there, and you can't do anything about them.
No use crying over spilled milk.

Cognitive

Reaction score

Ignore the creases, discoloration and changes in color. They will be there, and you can't do anything about them.
No use crying over spilled milk.

As long as it isn't a defect, I'm happy with it. I imagine that it will age beautifully.

K2793

Reaction score
Should there be a break in period? The left boot really hurts the back of my ankle. Can't exactly figure out why, the right one isn't that bad. I have them tied about the same pressure and whatnot. Perhaps I sized down .5 too much. Actually hurts a bit to walk at times. Granted I've only worn them two days.

Brian Itzaina

Reaction score
Should there be a break in period? The left boot really hurts the back of my ankle. Can't exactly figure out why, the right one isn't that bad. I have them tied about the same pressure and whatnot. Perhaps I sized down .5 too much. Actually hurts a bit to walk at times. Granted I've only worn them two days.
Thats it. I wear 9's and accedently purchased a second pair in 8.5. Wore them for about 10 hours straight then realising my feet were wore. Took them off and found i purchased a 8.5 instead. Totally could have kept them and they wouldve broken in just enough to still wear comfortably.

K2793

Reaction score
Well I don't mind suffering a little longer if they will break in. Bottom inside of my right foot was rubbing walking home and that was irritating. No blister but close. And back of ankles are still annoying. Is the leather just going to soften up?

If I size up I feel like I'd still feel the ankle. My toes do have a tiny bit of room so it's not horrible but I would probably size up anyways on my next pair. How many more days of wear should I expect until these get more comfy? They are bushacres I should mention

tm1210

Reaction score
I bought a size 10 a few weeks a go and they're too big. Thing is I have to order from the US so no chance of trying them on. I don't know if I should size down 1/2 or 1 full size. I usually take a 9 1/2 in the suede models but these seem to fit bigger.

Is there much a a difference in size as you go down in half's? There's about 2cm space at the front of the boot from my toe.

obeserabbit

Reaction score
looking into the "red oak" color - how versatile are these with raw denim?

or should i just go with beeswax (i feel like everyone wears beewax though..)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads