• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clarks Desert Boots

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a 9 in Converse Chuck Taylor and got a 9 in the sand suede desert boot and it fits me like a glove.

obsessis

Reaction score
I think I wear and 11 in desert boots and desert treks and 10.5 in wallabees. I need to get the larger size for the extra width since they don't make wide sizes. Anyone with wide feet might want to take that into consideration.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Picked up some of these in the grey, really nice. For reference I'm a 12 in Adidas/Nike and an 11 fit me perfectly.

Lovegasoline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JDJ
Anyone know if the Banana Republic 'Sahara' boot runs a little big like the Clark's?
Yes, both are pretty much the same size lengthwise and run big. I got both at home to try on. There are some subtle differences between the two boots. The Sahara boot is a little narrower in width (which fit my foot better) and the eyelets for the lacing start a little lower on the boot (closer to the toe) which contributes to a snugger fit. I generally wear a size 9 and I settled with a size 8 in the Sahara. Other minor differences are the eyelets on the Sahara are plain while the Clarks have brass eyelets. The Sahara is slightly more 'fitted' and anatomy following at the heel/ankle in both fit and profile vs. a slightly more anti-fit with the Clarks. The Clarks has only two rows of eyelets vs the Sahara's three, and the Clarks also has a sharper 'corner' where the slope of the front meets the top...both of which IMHO give the Clark boot a slightly more designy edgy looking profile. The Sahara boot in Beeswax is also a shade darker in tone than the Clarks Beeswax, and the Clarks is a slightly warmer brown hue. I bought the Sahara based on one primary consideration, simply because it fit me better (although I liked the color tone and profile of the Clarks better and it is cheaper to boot [to shoe? working through a bad pun here]). I put an insole in it to take up some volume (I have a narrow foot). Frankly, if you are accustomed to ULTRA-KUSH sneakers and are on your feet allot (i.e. walking all over the city's cement vs. the Sahara's fine grain sand) they are not the most comfortable shoe, even with an added thin insole (then again, shitheaps of shoes, including Chucks seem to neglect 21st century innovations in foot comfort). They are attractive.

Lovegasoline

Reaction score
BTW, can anyone share their experience with protecting the BEESWAX boot? Are you using anything...for example, wax (if yes, what kind...does it contain silicone?) ....or oil? I wonder if the stock finish is really a true beeswax finish(?). I'm an artist and have blocks of both bleached and unbleached beeswax (unbleached is a little 'stickier/softer'). I could always heat a little beeswax and rub it on a warm boot, then buff the excess off. Something tells me though that in modern times, manufacturers use silicon and other ingredients rather than, or in place of, just beeswax.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually have 4 pairs of the Banana Republic Sahara boots, and I prefer them to Clark's. they are narrower, and because there are three rows of eyelets, its a snugger fit. Plus, on sale they were 44 bucks each.

Pangolin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lovegasoline
BTW, can anyone share their experience with protecting the BEESWAX boot? Are you using anything...for example, wax (if yes, what kind...does it contain silicone?) ....or oil? I wonder if the stock finish is really a true beeswax finish(?). I'm an artist and have blocks of both bleached and unbleached beeswax (unbleached is a little 'stickier/softer'). I could always heat a little beeswax and rub it on a warm boot, then buff the excess off. Something tells me though that in modern times, manufacturers use silicon and other ingredients rather than, or in place of, just beeswax.

I use Pecards leather dressing on mine and it works fine.

truestorytravis

Reaction score
lovegasoline, it sounds like your plan would work fine. i've used beeswax and obenaufs on my beeswax clarks. i prefer the beeswax because the obenauf's seems to make stuff stick to the leather, and they get dirtier faster. i've never had much luck with kiwi on them. the beeswax i had was by havana joe, i think.

dual

Reaction score
What's a good price for Clark DB's? I looked at my local shop and they have prices ranging from $120 to $160 depending on the colour. They also have a pair on sale for around $80 but it's not really the colour I was looking for. Is $120-$160 overpriced? I see ~$95 on Zappos.

I've also looked at the ones at Banana and right now they have their 'Sahara' boot on sale for $70. I don't like how the Sahara looks though despite the similarities between that and the DB.

postnobills

Reaction score
So, I just ordered a pair of the beeswax leather.

First of all, would it be good for me to buy something to put on these shoes for protection?

Secondly, if yes, what should I get?

Thirdly, how do I apply such...liquids/solutions?

That's all. I just want my boots to be as best as they can be. Yay.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a US 6E in dress shoes (Florsheim) and 6.5 in my Chucks. Should I get a 6 or 6.5 in Clarks?

Comrade Lenin

Reaction score
Damn, Zappos always seems to have every size in but mine. I want that grey leather
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member