• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's WTF!?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what does "how they hold up" have to do with anything? The leather, the cloth lining, and the stitched tongue aren't magically going to change the longer you wear them.

why don't you just return them? and then delete this thread

rathebaindc

Reaction score
You bought corrected grain shoes for $500. You're worried about the tongue being stitched to the upper. If there was ever a time I would use one of those awful emoticons, this would be it.

JDMills

Reaction score
You should have noticed they were corrected grain the second you picked them up and tried them on its kind of obvious. But apparently Church uses a higher end CG and I've seen some old Church that are CG that don't look so bad. Why dont you call a shop near where you live or call Church directly and ask if you can return them?

SirWilliam

Reaction score
I walked out of the store in them because was I late for a party and Cathy Pacific lost one of my bags. So they are worn but also for the most part all sales are final in Hong Kong. At least they were on sale.

Leather man

Reaction score
Sewing one side of the tongue to the upper is a sign of a quality shoe not otherwise - Edward Green, John Lobb Paris , Gaziano and Girling etc etc do it.

Linen linings were once used by all good shoemakers - some bespoke makers still regard them as being superior to full leather linings.

Corrected Grain - are these from the cheaper "City" line or are they Custom Grade - if the latter they will look good and last you for many years.

Like one other poster I'm wondering if you work for a competitor of Church's?

SirWilliam

Reaction score
They are the city line and no I do not work for a competitor I work for a large accounting firm. So you can get the "polished binder" CG in the custom grade? I have a pair of really beautiful custom grades which cost around $1k...hard to believe that CG leather would be in that same line.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
People are getting ridiculous. Church's polished binder comes on all grades of their shoes. Just because a leather is corrected doesn't mean it is crap. It depends on the quality of the tanning. It is just the look they are going for. The leather isn't the same as a pair of Kenneth Cole shoes, it is tanned well and corrected for a sleek look, that is all.

The sewn tongue to the top of the shoe is normal for high quality shoes.

The fabric lining at the vamp of the shoes is linen. It has water wicking properties and keeps the shoe lighter. Just make sure that you use shoes trees after each wear and don't wear them two days in a row and you will be ok.

Don't feel bad about your purchase. It may not be your favorite shoe, but it is a very good shoe nonetheless.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been noted on multiple occasions that the quality has gone down since the buyout of the brand by Prada. Wear them sparingly, take good care of them and they will last.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
It's been noted on multiple occasions that the quality has gone down since the buyout of the brand by Prada. Wear them sparingly, take good care of them and they will last.

Prove it. Nothing has changed except some things stylistically.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
People are getting ridiculous. Church's polished binder comes on all grades of their shoes. Just because a leather is corrected doesn't mean it is crap. It depends on the quality of the tanning. It is just the look they are going for. The leather isn't the same as a pair of Kenneth Cole shoes, it is tanned well and corrected for a sleek look, that is all.

Yeah. Personally I don't much like CG so I would probably still avoid them, but CG can be made from good leather just as it can be made from cheap leather; although the process is often used to cover up imperfections it does not in itself mean the leather must be cheap.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeKirk