• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
I have one pair of Church's. They are suede with a moulded rubber sole. Almost straight away the stitching at the top of the eyelets sprung. Disgraceful quality - which is why I only have one pair.

aDrummingDude

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts DrummingDude (i'm a guitar player by the way). Speaking of Ferragamo, I had a beat up pair that I thought were gone, but as as last ditch effort I took them to a shoe repair place near where I work and they did a magical job on them. I've had them over 12 years with heavy use and they've shined up with their repair work as if they're just a year or two old. I've also got two pairs of Church's (a Ryder III and their Darwin loafer) which I do like a lot. I could use a brogue like the Chetwynd though. Great opening to your post by the way.. I was laughing. Cheers...
IG

Yeah, Ferragamo (especially at the high end) builds a great shoe, but I think they're ultimately too "fashiony" to garner much respect on this board, which leans towards traditional and stodgy. My Tramezza constructed Ferragamo's I'd put against any other shoe available at any price point...they're that good. At that level they are certainly superior to Church's though.

Last edited:

letsgofire

Reaction score
I just want to say that I've been in the market for shoes lately, doing my research and such. I don't understand the bashing that Church's gets on this forum generally. I've checked out a number of the high end shoes on Jermyn Street (and around Bank Tube station) and I'm liking what Church's has on offer. I particularly like the Chetwynd in Walnut Nevada calf. Does anyone on checking this thread on Church's have any experience with this model?

IG
I have this exact style and it's great. Really happy with it.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Giannis .. I was surprised how heavy they are compared to my other Italian boots. Finger crossed I didn't buy the version with a problematic Dainite sole. The choice was either these or Crockett Jones Chiltern, but the more rounded shape of toe was on Church's side.

Giannis

Reaction score
Thanks @Giannis .. I was surprised how heavy they are compared to my other Italian boots. Finger crossed I didn't buy the version with a problematic Dainite sole. The choice was either these or Crockett Jones Chiltern, but the more rounded shape of toe was on Church's side.
I also saw the chiltern but prefered something more rounded to be more casual. I was between the Ryder, the Loake kempton/ Loake Pimlico, and the one from Cheaney which looks a lot like the Ryder.

DrNik

Reaction score
Keep an eye on that welt. See my earlier posts for common fault, which was rectified gracefully by Church's but then recurred within weeks of being repaired. I have since returned them again to Church's via Herring Shoes, who provided outstanding customer service all round and were able to to negotiate a refund on my behalf. Chiltern's are looking a lot more appealing; but first I think I'll replace my Islay!

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello

I have been reading the thread, frankly I don't understand why people dislike Church's so much, is my favorite brand. Well I understand, is a matter of perception and preference, not everybody has to like the things I like.

I own C&J, AS, AE, Loake, Cobbler Union, Sanders, Cheaney and Grenson, so I can talk a bit about Church's. I don't own Edward Green (Dover in my bucket list).

My favorite shoes are the Church's Grafton in walnut calf and the Consul in brown, both in the 173 last. Church´s is a well made, simple design and good looking shoe. My brother who is a bike rider and car racer who doesn't give a dime on what he is wearing (not every body is worried abot the size of the double monk's buckle) always compliments my Church's. He says "those looke like the Mercedes of shoes".

I love strudy shoes, the 173 last is the best for my feet, maybe is the round toe. I am wondering where I could find a pair of Lancaster in 10.5UK in mahogany. I make my purchases from Herring's, lovely people to deal with, leaving in Peru, is quite hard buying shoes in the internet, I have never had a problem with them.

aDrummingDude

Reaction score
Hello

I have been reading the thread, frankly I don't understand why people dislike Church's so much, is my favorite brand. Well I understand, is a matter of perception and preference, not everybody has to like the things I like.

I own C&J, AS, AE, Loake, Cobbler Union, Sanders, Cheaney and Grenson, so I can talk a bit about Church's. I don't own Edward Green (Dover in my bucket list).

My favorite shoes are the Church's Grafton in walnut calf and the Consul in brown, both in the 173 last. Church´s is a well made, simple design and good looking shoe. My brother who is a bike rider and car racer who doesn't give a dime on what he is wearing (not every body is worried abot the size of the double monk's buckle) always compliments my Church's. He says "those looke like the Mercedes of shoes".

I love strudy shoes, the 173 last is the best for my feet, maybe is the round toe. I am wondering where I could find a pair of Lancaster in 10.5UK in mahogany. I make my purchases from Herring's, lovely people to deal with, leaving in Peru, is quite hard buying shoes in the internet, I have never had a problem with them.

I think people like to hate on them because Church's have had inconsistent quality, allegedly since the Prada takeover (a brand loathed on styleforum). I only have one pair of Church's, but look forward to trying the Grafton as long as they can be had in non-corrected leather.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Drummer

I also avoid polished leather, I live in a very dry city so rain is not a concern, as far as I know polish binder (aka corrected leather but is not exactly the same) is very usefull in rainy places if you don´t want to apply dubbin every now and then. That´s why is used more frecuently in "country" style shoes, but the plastic look is horrible. I am saving a couple of pairs (not giving them to charity) for pub affairs (watching football matches drinking beer) or places where suede would be damaged.

In my bucket list there is a pair of black Grafton, they are really substantial, when you walk inside a place with a hard floor surface people turns to give a glance to them.

I will polish my Grafton in cordovan and return with pictures. Does any body know where I can found a pair of Cowes in brown or Lancaster in Mahogany?

Cheers

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads