• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

Gbg brouge

Reaction score
I may be wrong but I think Church's always mark their shoes with the UK size. But a C fitting suggests that it might be US after all. In UK C fitting is a ladies fitting.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

But a C fitting suggests that it might be US after all. In UK C fitting is a ladies fitting.

Church's (like all English shoe manufacturers) used to produce stock items in a variety of widths. There is nothing unusual about man's shoe in a 'C' fitting, the width would have been routinely produced prior to the 1980s. The shoe in the photograph "Grafton" (although the markings seems to indicate the name as "Cotswold") in "Ranch Oxhide" has been in the Church's collection for yonks.

My guess is the shoe was produced some time between the late-50s to the mid-60s. Church’s will still have the narrow (and other historical) lasts available, if only for re-crafting.

namdaemun

Reaction score
I may be wrong but I think Church's always mark their shoes with the UK size. But a C fitting suggests that it might be US after all. In UK C fitting is a ladies fitting.

Church's (like all English shoe manufacturers) used to produce stock items in a variety of widths. There is nothing unusual about man's shoe in a 'C' fitting, the width would have been routinely produced prior to the 1980s. The shoe in the photograph "Grafton" (although the markings seems to indicate the name as "Cotswold") in "Ranch Oxhide" has been in the Church's collection for yonks.

My guess is the shoe was produced some time between the late-50s to the mid-60s. Church’s will still have the narrow (and other historical) lasts available, if only for re-crafting.
Thank you, gents, for your feedback.

I'm well aware of the variety of widths but I was thrown off because I've never seen a 'C' width for an english shoe and only for American one's.

I looked on the web and it seems like the equivalent to a UK 'C' width would be a US 'A' width.

Thank you again for the feedback and information. It was quite helpful

Cheers

Giannis

Reaction score
I bought the Churchs Ryder III about a month ago. I have worn them only once outside and I m already pretty much satisfied with the comfort. The quality is top notch.
Here is a video I did with the unboxing. ( I dont know what happened and the video is vertical)
0.jpg

Last edited:

Chanklebury

Reaction score
Nice pick up. Church's sure do package their shoes nicely, that's how my Caldecott came. They are the one boot I wish I hadn't sold of everything I have owned. The 103 last is one of the better fitting RTW lasts in my opinion.

Last edited:

Giannis

Reaction score
Nice pick up. Church's sure do package their shoes nicely, that's how my Caldecott came. They are the one boot I wish I hadn't sold of everything I have owned. The 103 last is one of the better fitting RTW lasts in my opinion.
Thank you. Yes the package is nice but not anything special. One problem is that these are very heavy shoes so if you want to exchange them (as I did for the size) the price for getting them back to the seller is huge.

Also as for the price, I find it to be good value as they cost about the same as the inferior quality sneakers from prada, tods etc

belleamie

Reaction score
Hello, is anyone familiar with or has a pair on the 133 last?

Thanks

I have a pair of Grafton. Possibly the most comfortable shoe I have ever owned. Tough, classy, timeless, and very adaptable to different types of pants, including jeans. A classic. I do have C&Js, and EG's but the Grafton is tough to beat. At times, I regret having to them off !!

belleamie

Reaction score
I have a pair of Grafton. Possibly the most comfortable shoe I have ever owned. Tough, classy, timeless, and very adaptable to different types of pants, including jeans. A classic. I do have C&Js, and EG's but the Grafton is tough to beat. At times, I regret having to them off !!
The Grafton's, I think, are made on the 133 last. Now you've got me wondering !!!

Chanklebury

Reaction score
Hey there, I've tried the Grafton - but I actually think they are on the 173 last. It's generous, but more tapered to the toe. Sadly the shape doesn't work for my foot but I agree, nonetheless a great shoe.

I find it curious, and a little ridiculous, how favourable opinion has swung away from Church's while Trickers, C&J, E&G etc continue to be so revered here. Although I think Church have priced themselves out of competition, at a sale price they are every bit as good. Better finishing than Trickers too, which frankly are scruffy in comparison.

Oldguy

Reaction score
Hey there, I've tried the Grafton - but I actually think they are on the 173 last. It's generous, but more tapered to the toe. Sadly the shape doesn't work for my foot but I agree, nonetheless a great shoe.

I find it curious, and a little ridiculous, how favourable opinion has swung away from Church's while Trickers, C&J, E&G etc continue to be so revered here. Although I think Church have priced themselves out of competition, at a sale price they are every bit as good. Better finishing than Trickers too, which frankly are scruffy in comparison.

I am on my second Grafton. It is my favorite shoe. My son has mine so I had to go back to Richard at Shoe Healer and get another pair!

They are my favorite shoe...more than AE, Trickers, Loake...I also have the Diplomat in Burgundy, which I use with suits.

The Graftons go with even more casual pants and it takes a while to break them in but they are worth the effort and time. Great shoes! The comfort is something special.

Last edited:

DrNik

Reaction score
Please take a look at the welt at the instep of both Ryder boots purchased last year and assess what appears to be increasing separation from the dainite sole? There is now a definite ridge of about 2mm. The have been worn very occasionally and stored in bags with trees. Thoughts?

rbny

Reaction score
I have a pair of Ryder III's that I just bought in the Church's NYC store on Madison over a month ago and noticed the same thing on the left shoe these past two weeks. I thought I had rubbed on something and did not worry about it until now. Anyone have any thoughts? Should I send this back to the NYC store?

DrNik

Reaction score
I contacted the UK online store where they were purchased and the acknowledged a definite fault. They covered the cost of return shipping and suspect the factory will send me a new pair. Unfortunately, it took me some time to break these in with a bit of stretching and now I have to start all over again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads