• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

Wrenkin

Reaction score
I’ve noticed that retailers are heavily discounting Church’s shoes at sale time. Discounts in excess of 50%, for example.

That's a real advantage of shopping for Church's, since they're carried so widely, and in particular at more fashion-focused retailers that do heavy seasonal discounting. However, Church's have raised prices so much over the last couple of years that a deep discount just gets you back to where full price used to sit.

rakuskus

Reaction score
Does anyone has experience with churchs’ version of dainite sole? Are they made by dainite also?

LouisDavout

Reaction score
I have a pair of Grafton's with dainite soles. Hard to break in but these will last me for decades

Last edited:

rakuskus

Reaction score
Before the price hike the soles were Danite soles with Church’s branding on them. Who knows nowadays!
Do you mind taking a picture of the sole? I'm very curios which are mine
I have a pair of Grafton's with dainite soles. Hard to break in but these will last me for decades
I will buy a pair of Grafton one day. Since the price hike I cannot see it happening soon.

rakuskus

Reaction score
Just one thing
Bookbinder is not the leather it is the finish. The shoe in either the bookbinder or regular finish is the same full grain calf.They sell for the same price.
Some people like the bookbinder because it holds a glossier shine. Many times you can just quickly brush it and it's good.
Was reading about the differences between the polished binder and book binder, and decided to email church's about this.

This is their respond,

"Essentially the polished binder and bookbinder are the same corrected grain leathers, the difference is in the finish of the leather. The polished binder features a solid high shine finish, whereas the bookbinder fume, has a rub off finish, which is polished to give a depth of colour, showing highlights."

sad to hear that they are not full grain leather. however my shoes holding up really well.

shoefan57

Reaction score
Do you mind taking a picture of the sole? I'm very curios which are mine

I will buy a pair of Grafton one day. Since the price hike I cannot see it happening soon.
These Graftons were made in 2016. You can see the Danite sole with the Church’s logo on it.

IMG_1863.jpeg
IMG_1864.jpeg

PeterHH2024

Reaction score
@rakuskus Those shoefan57 looks very similar to Church's Dainite I once had. It looks very regular Dainite sole.

hollandn

Reaction score
While we are on the subject of Grafton's I always assumed my pair were this model but on closer inspection they are called Bantry with a commando type sole. Can’t see any other reference to Bantry but look a match for Grafton. I bought these in 1993 and wear them when I go shooting as a going to the shoot and leaving for home pair of shoes. So get about 20 days use per year. Smart but rugged. Not bad for 30 years old.

Attachments

• IMG_2336.jpeg
    IMG_2336.jpeg
    303.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2337.jpeg
    IMG_2337.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2338.jpeg
    IMG_2338.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 130

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to wear my bookbinder Graftons double leather soles for pub crawling. Indestructibles!!.

shoefan57

Reaction score
While we are on the subject of Grafton's I always assumed my pair were this model but on closer inspection they are called Bantry with a commando type sole. Can’t see any other reference to Bantry but look a match for Grafton. I bought these in 1993 and wear them when I go shooting as a going to the shoot and leaving for home pair of shoes. So get about 20 days use per year. Smart but rugged. Not bad for 30 years old.
In those days Church’s would give a shoe a different name depending on the type of sole

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads