• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could anyone help me decipher this?
7E2FD16B-85BE-40AD-A584-6D48A4B78D6B.jpeg

midnightnavy

Reaction score
Sean at Herring Shoes emailed me to say Church's is discontinuing the Ryder III chukka boot. That is sad. It is such a classic chukka boot. I was hoping to get a pair in a size 13UK, which they did make in that size with the Dainite sole before switching over to their branded sole. If anyone has a pair they would like to sell or know of someplace where I might find a pair, please let me know.

letsgofire

Reaction score
That is odd. It seems to be that shoe would be more popular these days as dress codes relax.
There are lots of Ryder 3 boots available from Farfetch, Italist and others. It will probably be a while before supply is out.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked before, without an answer, so if somebody knows, I would appreciate a clarification: Which are the differences between a Ryder, Ryder II, and Ryder III chukka boots?

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked before, without an answer, so if somebody knows, I would appreciate a clarification: Which are the differences between a Ryder, Ryder II, and Ryder III chukka boots?

Hello Mercurio, as far as I saw, the difference is the sole (crepe, Dainite, Church's Sole), but I am not 100% sure. Maybe the nice lads in Herrings can help

Regards

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Mercurio, as far as I saw, the difference is the sole (crepe, Dainite, Church's Sole), but I am not 100% sure. Maybe the nice lads in Herrings can help

Regards
Thank you, Juan Manuel. It makes sense, as mine are simply "Ryder" and they have crepe soles.

lexmann

Reaction score
Recently took delivery of a pair of Consul and found now Church's shoes run about 1/4 size bigger.

El_capitanoo

Reaction score
Hey all, I noticed is thread isn't the largest, so thought I'd mention that I just put up a classified for a pair of Diplomats in size 8UK. Sizing mistake. If this message is frowned upon, just let me know and I'll remove it!

DrNik

Reaction score
Sean at Herring Shoes emailed me to say Church's is discontinuing the Ryder III chukka boot. That is sad. It is such a classic chukka boot. I was hoping to get a pair in a size 13UK, which they did make in that size with the Dainite sole before switching over to their branded sole. If anyone has a pair they would like to sell or know of someplace where I might find a pair, please let me know.
Just to give my 2c worth: I loved the Ryder III, but had to return for repair after minimal wear due to separation of welt from the dainite sole. I initially dismissed this flaw as a rare occurrence but surprisingly and sadly it happened again not long after they had supposedly been repaired at factory. Herring provided great service in assisting with return to factory from Australia and I received them from the factory ostensibly well restored with new laces and shoe bags; but sadly the repair didn’t last more than a few wears. I ultimately retuned for a full refund. This was in 2013/14. I must have be a sucker for punishment as I purchased a pair of Suede Caldecott in 2018, which not long after separated at the heel. I’m happy to report though that these were suitably repaired by the factory so perhaps they have now sorted out their processes.

ijustknow

Reaction score
I went into the Chicago Church's store yesterday and I have to concede that, even as a positive Church's fan, I'm growing more disappointed.

I went to see the Consul 1945 special edition in person and to compare it to the normal Consul shoe. It was disappointingly very similar...unless one looked very carefully (a small red piece on the back of the shoe, a different color on the sole) you would be hard-pressed to observe which is the more expensive one. Why pay a premium to the Consul I wondered.

The pricing then had me shocked. The Special Edition Consul is $890 USD but the regular Consul is now $950. I'm pretty sure the 2020 price for Consul was $790 USD - though I'm not 100% confident of this. This would mean that in Church's move to raise the prices of their core line, they've moved it ahead of one-off special edition variants that were priced at a small premium. This...doesn't make sense.

Church's Dubai model is rather similar to Consul. It's the cheaper variant that used be called the City Line but now I don't know what they are called as they change them too often. This is now priced at $625. It wasn't too long ago that this price level got you the Consul. This type of price inflation is difficult to understand.

The assortment in the store wasn't too interesting. They are over-assorted on the lower price (using that term loosely) lower quality, binder leather type items. I hadn't been into to the store since Covid-19 and I was wondering if they had some interesting boots as holdovers from winter or had some new loafers for Spring. There was nothing interesting for me. I'll check back in later in the Summer maybe.
Pattern wise, what is the difference between Consul and Dubai please?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads