• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing between 2 NYC apartments

raley

Reaction score
Hopefully those of you who chimed in on the previous thread about brokers can help me out. I've been looking for places since Saturday, and have put down an application fee for two different places. Now I am just trying to decide between the two.

I'm living with my girlfriend, so space is a consideration. Our two choices are Financial District, studio, really nice full service luxury building with a gym, 24 hour doorman/concierge, free breakfast, roof deck, etc., about 35 minutes to work via subway. We would be the first people living in the apartment, and the furnishings/design/appliances are all really nice. We are getting 2 months free rent in this place, so next year it might be out of our price range which means a possible move and the expenses associated with that.

The next choice is in South Chelsea/Northern West Village (17th St.). It is a walkup 1 bedroom with a loft area also. The loft is kind of crappy since theres only about 6 feet of space from floor to ceiling up there, but you could still store stuff up there or maybe use it as a cramped guest bedroom. Otherwise it is probably what you would expect. It is probably a pretty old building, old appliances, and doesn't have the "fresh" "clean" sort of feel to it that the place in the brand new building has. From this place I will be able to get to work in about 20 minutes via subway. This place is also about $1500 more over the course of the year.

I know Gdl in the last thread said it was great to live in a nice neighborhood, this was my sort of feeling as well. I really love the West Village/Chelsea area and the fact that this is a 1 bedroom. But the amenities are also nice since if we go with that place we will have to pay for laundry and a gym membership. Also not having someone to take packages is probably a pain **********. I am also worried that since it is an old building there might be bugs or something that we have to deal with, not really sure how it works out in buildings like that (anyone have any ideas/experiences with this?).

I know in the end it pretty much comes down to going with your gut feeling and whatever you like best, but if anyone has any advice it would really be appreciated! I'm going to have to make a decision in the next day or so - I hope I make the right one.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raley
I know in the end it pretty much comes down to going with your gut feeling and whatever you like best
well... what is your gut feeling? Where do you and your girlfriend feel more at home (apartment and neighborhood wise) ?

I'd pick the Chelsea one without a doubt but everyone has different priorities. I personally hate full-service new developments and much prefer an older building, even walk-up, but YMMV. Living in the financial district (depending on how you define it) is a depressing thought

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I would say pick the one in Chelsea.

What part of town are you working in?

raley

Reaction score
I'm working in Rockefeller Center, she's going to Fordham Law. This will be my first time living in NYC, and I really like the Chelsea place. True 1BR also which is a plus.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Free breakfast? How does that work?

Chelsea/W. Village over FD.

lefty

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raley
This will be my first time living in NYC

This removes all question. I lived down on Water Street for a year and it was frightening on the weekend. Granted, it's a little different now, but some times I would round silent corners and expect to see the undead.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Oh live in Chelsea.
You can take the E to get you close to Rock Cen and your wife can take the C or 1 up to Columbus Circle to go to Fordham.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Oh live in Chelsea.
Did you move? I thought you lived up in Hell's Kitchen ?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I was telling him to live in Chelsea.

I live by Lincoln Center.

samblau

Reaction score
take chelsea and clean it up....sterile new developments are practically hotels...they will raise your rent a lot and overall the service is not that great

if you can have packages delivered to work, 20 minutes or more saved commuting time is a big deal...buy some weights to keep in the apt. and join NYSC, they are all over the place. Chelsea is a better neighborhood...let us know where youwind up...I am on 31st st.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm inclined to say Chelsea. You'll be in (or really, near) the best neighborhood in the city. Old, rundown apartments are a way of life in NYC.

It's funny to me, though. I went to junior high on 17th St., and 20 years ago it would have been hard to imagine living there. But times have changed, and the pizza place on the corner of 8th Avenue is now a sushi bar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads