• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chinese translation needed

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a text inlaid in mother-of-pearl in the stock on a flintlock fowling-piece that I have my clammy hands on at the moment...the value is more or less a given, unless the inscription is particularly interesting...any takers? TIA, LS
DSC01437.jpg
DSC01435.jpg

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but heres a general idea (in mandarin):

First photo:
Two lines here, the first being the right-most side (being read from Top to Bottom): qi yi ke xiang
Honor/Loyalty to be emulated (hard to translate the first bit directly. Basically a concept of an honorable quality combining honor and loyalty in friends or your gang/army/group/triad)

Second line
Left-most side (read from Top to Bottom): qi wei ke wei
Aura of Force to be feared (again hard to translate the meaning - we use this word "wei" to describe someone who exudes an aura and feeling of power, grandness)

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2nd photo (from right most line to left most line, read from top to bottom)

Brings lightning out of the ordinary,
making everyone cover their ears
Thundering into the scene,
with everyone knowing his name

2nd photo paints a small picture of majestic/grand this person is (a very flattering picture) - describing the commotion, force and ruckus when he arrives/passes and that everyone knew him

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Toiletduck! I will, of course, present the translation as my own.
smile.gif
It's a European-made gun of not bad quality, and apparently decorated with the MOP inlay in China, and then given as a sort of honorary gift. I'll post pics of it when they're taken. Brings lightning out of the ordinary, making everyone cover their ears Thundering into the scene, with everyone knowing his name I'm considering this as my new signature.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
You have a fun job, don't you LS?
Fun, but overly busy sometimes. I've had three sixty-hour workweeks in a row now. Compared to the Wall St types it may not be much, but for an art historian with a lazy disposition it's a full plate.
Originally Posted by LabelKing
It looks like some sort of rosewood?
I don't have it handy here, but I think you're right.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
"The blue-haired lady will make a good sacrifice."

flylot74

Reaction score
Dear lad, what fine piece you have there! Coul you provide a closer shot of the checkering? Is the left side lock plate wood or is that engraved metal? Who is the gunmaker? Inquiring minds want to know!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The entire wooden piece looks like it was carved in China as the style is typical of the Chinese taste for Western ornament. It appears a late 19th century piece?

A very lovely piece of work.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LS - no problem
smile.gif
Wow. that is a beautiful piece of work, perhaps in a few years I shall start looking at purchasing expensive artwork (once I can afford heheh)

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flylot74
Dear lad, what fine piece you have there! Coul you provide a closer shot of the checkering? Is the left side lock plate wood or is that engraved metal? Who is the gunmaker? Inquiring minds want to know!
I'll see if the photographer can be pestered into taking a few more...
smile.gif
It's a late 18th/early 19th century fowling-piece - smooth-bored, very long, narrow barrel, short fore-end on the stock. Oddly, there's a primitive diopter-type back sight, which contradicts the use as a fowling gun, which would, of course, be shot in the same manner as a modern shotgun. It might have been intended for hunting water-birds, say duck or wading birds, which can be shot sitting, and can actually be aimed at. The side plate is just a screw throught the left side of the stock, as is often the case with late flintlocks and early percussions. There are no markings whatsoever, but the quality of the hardware is fairly high.
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The entire wooden piece looks like it was carved in China as the style is typical of the Chinese taste for Western ornament. It appears a late 19th century piece? A very lovely piece of work.
I think your theory is right - the wood does look like rosewood, and the inlaid and carved decoration is without doubt Chinese. The buttplate and trigger-guard/grip is bronze, which makes me think it was made in China as well. I'd say the age is around 1800, judging from the type of lock, barrel and other European hardware.
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
LS - no problem
smile.gif
Wow. that is a beautiful piece of work, perhaps in a few years I shall start looking at purchasing expensive artwork (once I can afford heheh)

These guns are surprisingly cheap - say $1.000 to 2.000. (Few people collect these types.) A Chinese buyer might be willing to pay a bit more for the Chinese aspect, of course.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
I'll see if the photographer can be pestered into taking a few more...
smile.gif

It's a late 18th/early 19th century fowling-piece - smooth-bored, very long, narrow barrel, short fore-end on the stock. Oddly, there's a primitive diopter-type back sight, which contradicts the use as a fowling gun, which would, of course, be shot in the same manner as a modern shotgun. It might have been intended for hunting water-birds, say duck or wading birds, which can be shot sitting, and can actually be aimed at.

The side plate is just a screw throught the left side of the stock, as is often the case with late flintlocks and early percussions. There are no markings whatsoever, but the quality of the hardware is fairly high.

I think your theory is right - the wood does look like rosewood, and the inlaid and carved decoration is without doubt Chinese. The buttplate and trigger-guard/grip is bronze, which makes me think it was made in China as well. I'd say the age is around 1800, judging from the type of lock, barrel and other European hardware.

These guns are surprisingly cheap - say $1.000 to 2.000. (Few people collect these types.) A Chinese buyer might be willing to pay a bit more for the Chinese aspect, of course.

Wow, how do you attain this type of knowledge.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads