• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap Shoes too Shiny

Jack2000

Reaction score
I got a pair of chukkas from Banana Republic--- before you trash me for buying crappy shoes let me say they were $34 on sale and I like the fit and the shape of the last very much. They look like the Loake Kempton. They are however made of cheap, pebble grain leather that has a shine on it that looks like a coat of polyurethane. Is there anything anyone can suggest short of stripping the leather like all he antiquing project that might improve the look and feel of this leather.

samurai

Reaction score
I had a pair of Cole Hahns like that which I bought on sale last year. They had a clear coat on them that resisted every effort to remove it. Finally I got it off with stripper, spent a few days restoring the finish.

After much effort I finally took an objective look at them and realized that they were just a cheap crp. pair of shoes and pitched them...

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried stripping the finish off a pair of Grenson Feathermasters I picked up off ebay. Got the shine off with acetone, but couldn't get a decent finish to replace the shiny one. Trash can...

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might be out of luck.

falsestart

Reaction score
I recently took the shine off a pair of thrifted shoes using denatured alcohol. Needed a bit of elbow grease and two tries, but it worked. I then repolished the shoes with a darker polish, they are still thrifted shoes but look better.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try leather conditioner, and wear the shoes...the finish should wear off, and if you don't polish and condition instead, I'd imagine it would continue. Of course, I don't know how much the low quality leather will absorb conditioner.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ripped the plasticky finish off a pair of Bostonians with acetone and built it back up with shoe cream, polish and conditioner. They are now decent looking (but not great).

Make sure you're wearing gloves when you're using the acetone. I did not and my fingertips on my right hand are still numb a month later. I'm kind of afraid I'd given myself permanent nerve damage.

Jack2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Irond Will
I ripped the plasticky finish off a pair of Bostonians with acetone and built it back up with shoe cream, polish and conditioner. They are now decent looking (but not great).

Make sure you're wearing gloves when you're using the acetone. I did not and my fingertips on my right hand are still numb a month later. I'm kind of afraid I'd given myself permanent nerve damage.

When you say acetone do you mean nail polish remover or are you getting industrial acetone from somewhere?

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jack2000
When you say acetone do you mean nail polish remover or are you getting industrial acetone from somewhere?

Nail polish remover. Still fucked my fingertips right up.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
34 bux to learn your lesson isn't all that bad - I've done far worse.

Nicholas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Irond Will

Who wants decent looking shoes? Not that I'd expect anything better for 34 bucks, but still.

riwa1

Reaction score
i guess nothing u can do bout it except to enjoy the $34 shoes. worst case, you can sell it back here when you had enough of the shoes
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads