• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap alterations in Atlanta

Ringo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I've never tried Mario's shirts and quite honestly, didn't even know he made shirts.. Post the results, always interesting. Check out the newspaper story on the wall about him, its pretty neat and offers a glimpse into a true gentleman.
Mario himself does not make shirts. His main assistant runs his own little business within the shop. He'll do either "MTM" shirts where you pick the fabric, he takes basic measurements, and then sends it over to some shop in TN, I think. I think he also does bespoke shirts in house himself. Obviously the latter costs more. The same guy also does bespoke suits.

I'm not sure how much work Mario does himself anymore. I imagine it's a few alterations here and there (aside from basic work like hems, I'd imagine), and maybe some bespoke suits?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ringo
I'm not sure how much work Mario does himself anymore. I imagine it's a few alterations here and there (aside from basic work like hems, I'd imagine), and maybe some bespoke suits?

That was my impression also, which is why I told the OP to make sure Mario was doing the work. I had a couple of issues where I had to take things back for some minor problems and it was apparent the work was done by somebody else. I will say though, Mario went out of his way to make things right, which is why he is always my first choice..

SeaGriffin

Reaction score
Hi, An update to an old thread: Mario Bosco appears to have retired. He "still associated" with the current tailor at that location. I may check him out for some alterations. See the new guy's website...he's a tailor not a web designer: http://www.tflor.com/otherpgs/makesuit.html I picked a page showing his work so you'd have sort of a clue about what his stuff is like.

3dials

Reaction score
Thread resurrection part deux. I go to Perfect Stitches, literally a mom (Sia) and pop (Tim) shop for all of my alterations. I iron all of my clothes, so I don't dry-clean anything there, though of course they offer that service as well. Sia's the tailor and she has been in the business for over 26 years.

I have had fairly basic alterations done to my suit jackets (hemming sleeve length, taking in the back, shortening jacket length, jacket arm circumference reduction, pant leg circumference reduction, taking in pant waist, hemming pants) and all have been done with a cheerful attitude. Sia knows I am particular about how my suits look and is more than willing to work with me to achieve the look I want.

She has also helped with shirt alterations (reducing arm width circumference on a J. Crew Baird McNutt Mill linen shirt).

They can be a little disorganized on the dry cleaning end (see 2 Yelp reviews) but I would chalk those up to the adage, "Good service warrants high praise but often gets none, and bad news travels fast." Kudzu has solid reviews of them as well.

Prices are very cheap, and they often provide me with a volume discount. I love being a regular there, even if what I TRULY want are well-fitting (read: bespoke) suits. Maybe one day!

TintinATL

Reaction score
Glad to see this thread come back to life. Regarding Mario Bosco, he is still working – or at least he was a couple of months ago. I stopped in to have functioning buttonholes put on an RL blazer, expecting to see only the other guy (whose name I don't know), but there he was. The buttonhole work was beautiful (as I'd expected, since it wasn't cheap). The only problem was, he used black thread and it's a navy blazer.

For everyday alterations – hemming, waist, slimming shirts etc – I have had excellent experience with Q Tailors in Phipps. They're on the second level at the Belk end. The main guy, Estaban, is very helpful and they do a good job.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so now I'm confused. I assumed I took my jacket to Mario -- short Italian guy dressed in khakis and a Brooks Brothers polo? Did I get an explanation of my erect shoulders from someone else?

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Hong Kong gave me the "hard sell" about buying a suit from it.
Brooks Bros. suggested I try Star Alterations on Piedmont Road accross from the old Gold Club location.
It is not very friendly, but it does good work, and is fast and reasonable.

Last edited:

TintinATL

Reaction score

Ok, so now I'm confused. I assumed I took my jacket to Mario -- short Italian guy dressed in khakis and a Brooks Brothers polo? Did I get an explanation of my erect shoulders from someone else?

If he was in his late 60s/early 70s, smelled of tobacco and was listening to Rush Limbaugh, that was Mario.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I use Gill's at Around Lenox for most of my small stuff. They are good and can chain stitch denim, if you request it. However, they can be very quick to make everything skinny, so I don't really trust them with anything other than hems and closely advised tapering.

TBH I bring everything to Sid's. I know the thread is "cheap," and Sid is far from cheap, but he seems to be the only one in Atlanta with any consistency. While I would consider Mario a close second, he's basically just as expensive and, as alluded to in this thread earlier, you're never sure who's actually doing the work.

TintinATL

Reaction score
Yes, I use them fairly regularly. They do a great job. I know several sales associates from Saks and Niemans take their own alterations there. Also, I believe (but I'm not sure) they do the alterations for Bill Reid. I think they are excellent. The man to ask for (who you will probably get anyway, but he really is "the guy") is Estaban. I've always been very happy and the one time I wasn't quite sure he sensed it before I said anything, and kept the pants and changed them and the're my favorites to this day.

Luvwine

Reaction score
I have had excellent work done by Al Kleber's folks at Custom Clothiers f Atlanta on Barfield Road in Sandy Springs. He has done alterations as well as asking several suits, shirts, etc.

btatedash

Reaction score
I took a suit over to Q Tailors before I saw your post Tintin, but I'm glad to hear that Esteban is well thought of. He's shortening the sleeves from the shoulder, so I should be able to add my opinion about his work by next weekend.

I am optimistic, as is my wife, who said "he did that Sid Mashburn thing, where as soon as you put something on he starts tweaking and adjusting it to get the fit right before you look in a mirror."

TintinATL

Reaction score
Hope it works out well for you Btate. Neat tumblr by the way!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads