• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt Reviews and Fitting

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ Fair comment but ...

The CT wovens are almost identical to a garza fina and would take someone who is very well informed with sharp eyes to be close up to you to be able to tell the difference. 99percent of the general public wont be able to.

Tie Bar grenafaux are not baaad for $15 but they inferior to e CTs IMO, they are closer to emulating garza grossas and as such are more prone to pulls. I have one in burnt orange I can sell on if anyone wants it.

topos

Reaction score
I've picked up a few from their shirt+free tie deals. Never actually wore them though, always sold them, so I can't comment on how they hold up. They do have a nice texture that is similar to grenadine, but it is most certainly NOT grenadine. In fact, the texture looks almost identical to The Tie Bar's "grenafaux" line. I owned a few of those before I stated investing in Hobers. My verdict on the CT ties: decent and certainly wearable if you get one for free or on deep discount, but I wouldn't pay the usual price of $50 for one. Go with The Tie Bar's grenafauxs ($15) if you're on a tight budget, or grenadines from Hober if you can afford a bit more.
I basically agree with this. I have a dark navy woven tie with some texture which I got "free" in one of these shirt+tie deals. It has held up well, ties a decent knot, and I'm basically happy with it. But I definitely agree I wouldn't pay full price (i.e., whatever CT's sale price is) for these ties.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone own their plain woven ties? From the pictures, they look almost texturized, like a grenadine tie. Interested to hear how they look/feel in person and how they've held up, as I'm considering picking up a few of the solid staple colors (burgundy, purple, chocolate brown etc.)

I got the plain navy woven wool and the plain burgundy woven wool (yes, I'm that boring). Despite the similar descriptions the fabric is quite different in each.

http://www.ctshirts.com/Plain-navy-woven-tie-?q=ray||TW306NAV|4770||||||||||||
http://www.ctshirts.com/Burgundy-wool-plain-woven-slim-tie?q=ray||TV350BGD|4770||||||||||||

The navy is heavily textured, but definitely not like a grenadine; it's rather stiff in feel and quite thick and heavy. At 3 3/8 inches it's also a bit narrower than I like.

The burgundy is a herringbone pattern, and is somewhat softer but still quite heavy (it really feels like wool: a bit rough), though it’s not stiff like the burgundy. It’s a lot narrower than I like: 2 7/8 inches.

Both are decent enough, but there’s nothing special about them. Since they were free I can’t complain, and I have worn them both.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Ac

dmass1

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the helpful replies.

Ac - it looks like you purchased the slim burgundy wool tie. There is also a plain burgundy tie that looks identical to the navy one.

These ties will be free with a shirt... I just can't tell which ones I should buy, as I don't really want any of them specifically. Probably will pick up the burgundy or purple.

David23

Reaction score
It's one free tie per order. You can order more than once; that's how I ended up with the two abovementioned ties.

Cheers,

Ac

Really? Tried that 2 years ago when I ordered online and they canceled the second tie and only allowed me to add the shirt to the first order. I think it's one free tie per household until another deal comes along. Never tried it in store but they have your info saved.

JBG89

Reaction score
Can anyone provide the page i will need to show to get the 1 shirt 1 tie for $40 in store? Thanks

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? Tried that 2 years ago when I ordered online and they canceled the second tie and only allowed me to add the shirt to the first order. I think it's one free tie per household until another deal comes along. Never tried it in store but they have your info saved.

Worked for me with the recent sale. Used the same mailing address, but a different e-mail address for the two orders. Perhaps that made the difference.

Cheers,

Ac

BigRob

Reaction score
I bought a white shirt and a tie from CT. The tie is OK, but the shirt is transparent. I can see my nipples through it and it looks bad with an undershirt, too, because the lines are so clearly visible. Colored shirts might be better.

2/10, would not buy again.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a white shirt and a tie from CT.  The tie is OK, but the shirt is transparent.  I can see my nipples through it and it looks bad with an undershirt, too, because the lines are so clearly visible.  Colored shirts might be better.

I have no problems with CT's white twill shirts. Sure, they're not as thick as oxford, but for something formal to wear with a suit, you don't want a very heavy fabric.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a white shirt and a tie from CT. The tie is OK, but the shirt is transparent. I can see my nipples through it and it looks bad with an undershirt, too, because the lines are so clearly visible. Colored shirts might be better.

Surely this is an overgeneralization. CT has shirts in quite a few different fabrics, and not all of them fit your description. None of mine do.

Cheers,

Ac

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can the 40 dollar shirt/tie deal be combined with a $20 certificate that CT sent me a few days ago? Thanks.

sholom

Reaction score

Can the 40 dollar shirt/tie deal be combined with a $20 certificate that CT sent me a few days ago? Thanks. 

It doesn't appear like you can combine. The space to enter a code says an offer has already been applied. Maybe try to give them a call.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batikslot