• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cavalry Twill Trousers?

alebrady

Reaction score
I am thinking about having some traditional, cavalry twill trousers made for wear with my blazer (and other coats for relatively casual/business casual situations).

I am curious, are trousers in cavalry twill, covert cloths, cottons, etc. (basically military and riding inspired trousers) traditionally done with flat fronts and plain bottoms or is pleated and cuffed the more typical/traditional configuration? Any type of particular pocket confirgurations that were traditionally applied?

Many Thanks!

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(suggest you add the word 'trousers' to your title, to differentiate this from the other cavalry twill thread currently going)

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit>Go Advanced

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My twills have flat fronts and cuffs.

Mr. Tweed

Reaction score
Dear alebrady,

Flat front plain finished hem would be the traditional choice for Cavalry Twills in line with their British military/equestrian heritage. You would not like turn-ups in the field, catching dirt and debris.

Today it is of course a matter of taste. Turn-ups would perhaps add a little American trad to the ensemble...

Yours,
Mr. Tweed

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Mine are pleated and cuffed.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alebrady
hmmm, maybe there is no 'traditional' configuration?

I don't know, I just like pleats and cuffs.

alebrady

Reaction score
do you prefer them on your khakis too? ive never been able to find a pair that pulled off pleats well and always assumed it was the thickness of the material that was the obstacle (and was thinking it might be a similar issue with the cavalry twill?)

Mr. Tweed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alebrady
hmmm, maybe there is no 'traditional' configuration?

I think I gave you the answer to that question. I might add, that the heavy weight and excellent drape of cavalry twill make turn-ups a bit superfluous.

Yours,
Mr. Tweed

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One pair ultra heavy has a single pleat and is cuffless.

Second pair lighter weight and different shade is pleatless and cuffless.

dasai

Reaction score
Are there any "traditional" colors for cavalry twill other than the requisite khaki/tan? I'm trying to stop wearing chinos with odd jackets (a bad habit I picked up in college), but I only have one pair of tan dress trousers at the moment and would rather not get the exact same as I have now. If not, perhaps something in flannel would be better...

Mr. Tweed

Reaction score
Dear dasai,
Khaki/tan is indeed the most traditional and most common cavalry twill colour. Apart from that, olive and charcoal are frequently seen. Olive for the countryside, charcoal for the city and tan for where ever you happen to be...
Yours,
Mr. Tweed

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads