• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Catastrophic loss and/or gradually replacing your wardrobe

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Travel is a concern of mine, too, especially international flights. In a few months I'm traveling to Europe for two weeks and am thinking about how I can pack only a carry on. I had luggage lost on an international trip a few years ago and don't want to go through that scare again. Last year on a flight I packed nonessentials in my checked luggage but I don't want to bother with that this time.

If you can fly carry-on only do it. Unless I absolutely have to take more things (or stuff I cannot put in carry on) that is all I will do anymore.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montesquieu
On Friday, Air France lost a bag with all 5 of my brand new Vass shoes.

Makes me wonder what was comparatively more important to go in the carry-on.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On Friday, Air France lost a bag with all 5 of my brand new Vass shoes.

crazy.gif

Yikes. I don't travel more than a half dozen times a year, and when I do, I don't bring too much of the better stuff with me. But I guess if you're coming back from Budapest...

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On Friday, Air France lost a bag with all 5 of my brand new Vass shoes. They also lost a second bag with a haul of new Incotex/Zanone pants and sweaters.

Should I keep relying on God, rather than insurance, for protection?

Maybe buy and book everything on an Amex Centurion.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I would be most upset about losing my ties and pocket squares in a fire (and maybe a few of my shoes). All the rest can more easily be replaced assuming you are willing/able to pay retail prices with the insurance payout but replacing a collection of 80-100 ties + squares accumulated over many years is going to be very difficult even if you have unlimited funds.

Biscione

Reaction score
I once lost a suitcase with a Burberry trenchcoat, a tailor made cashmere coat, a tailor made suit, several very good pairs of shoes, cashmere sweaters, shirts, etc. I got some money for compensation, but it didn't come close to the actual cost (one I suppose the airline hadn't expected). It's a real blow. My lesson to you? As tempting as it is to do otherwise, do not travel with anything you'd be devestated to lose. As for your household, hope for the best and cook carefully.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Some tips about insuring your clothing (and other personal property):

1. Get cost of replacement coverage. This pays for the cost of replacement if the property cannot be repaired. This is an optional coverage.

2. If you do not obtain "cost of replacement" coverage the standard coverage is "actual cash value" which means that the insurance carrier will pay whichever is less: a) cost of repair; or b) cost of replacement; or c) its depreciated cash value. Under this standard the carrier pays much less because the property is depreciated and would only be sold for "X" on the used market. E.g., the $4,000 Savile Row suit of 3 years of age (relatively new!) would bring only $400 if you're lucky.

3. Look to a high quality carrier which is more liberal and reasonable in paying losses. Of course, that means that the premium is higher. Chubb is the top of the line carrier and is known for insuring wealthy households. If Chubb is beyond your reach or doesn't write in your area, then get the best quality carrier that you can afford. Talk to your insurance agent. Avoid the low priced carriers, such as Allstate which writes "direct" to the public. Insurance carriers which write "direct" to the public without agents or brokers generally write policies for low income households. Generally, the Allstates of the world will fight you on your claim. Low price equals low recovery.

4. Keep as many receipts as possible and where possible.

5. Keep in mind that insurance only pays for property that is currently in use and is not obsolete. E.g., insurance will not pay for your 286 computer that you are keeping for sentimental reasons. Similarly, if you never throw-out any clothing, you may only recover for your working wardrobe. Therefore, don't expect to collect on your Bar Mitzvah suit. Again, a Chubb will be more reasonable than an Allstate if you're a collector.

6. As far as I know clothing is personal property and gets included in your personal property limit. Personal property includes furniture, electronics, books, etc. You do not have to get a special endorsement or appraisal for clothing even if its value is high. Talk to your agent.

Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads