• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, what? Your “brain” cannot fill-in for a tactile experience you’ve never had. It’s an empirical issue, not just a logical one.

Since you seem to not understand (or probably pretend to for the pleasure of arguing), I'll explicate once again. My point is: even though the addition of some vicuna could result in a better material in matter of feeling, I always would prefer the real thing. If I'm able to spend $$$ for that Louis Vuitton sweater, I will better spend that sum for a genuine vicuna one.

And, as always, this is my stance and preference, not the truth. (If you like to pay the extra charge for the brand, nobody will prevent you)

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, what? Your “brain” cannot fill-in for a tactile experience you’ve never had. It’s an empirical issue, not just a logical one.

cash and vicuna are very similar fibers to begin with . both sourced from small camelid underhair , similar staple length , similar micron , similar processing . cashmere even comes in that golden tan .

i mean it's probably not too distinguishable from a pure cash or pure vicuna version especially as a midlayer but i suppose next-to-skin the difference might be appreciable .

btw folks the best way to read softness in hand is to rub the fiber on the neck

elysiumfield

Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendation for cashmere repair or alteration in Europe where one can send in the items? Thanks in advance.

Xyol

Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendation for cashmere repair or alteration in Europe where one can send in the items? Thanks in advance.
At least for repairs, I had good results with Allude in Munich if you don't mind their turn around time of ~6 to 8 weeks. Very nice people to work with and prices are reasonable in my opinion.

jbie

Reaction score
Don’t have personal experience, but have seen good work if you don’t mind sending to the UK.

elysiumfield

Reaction score
Don’t have personal experience, but have seen good work if you don’t mind sending to the UK.

Thanks, I have read that Begg x co and Johnstons of Elgin are working with them, so it's probably good. Not sure how tax works when sending goods to UK for repair service though.

acconrad

Reaction score
I just grabbed a vintage Colombo cashmere/wool overshirt for $40 on ebay in a classic light charcoal/dark-mid gray. Easily the biggest thrift win of the year

Xyol

Reaction score
After a few weeks of waiting for replacements, I finally got the bounty of my Milan trip and I haven't found anything wrong this time:
IMG_2108.jpeg
IMG_2109.jpeg

The roll neck is in their "comfort fit" which is more relaxed so a size 46 fits pretty much perfectly (~50 cm chest). The navy crew is in size 48. A reminder that fit is important and buying clothes in person is always preferable, in my opinion. The selection in the boutique is also way better than online.
Since I got an additional discount when I initially bought them, I can live with the delay. Strangely, my wallet is still not too happy about it...

acconrad

Reaction score
I just grabbed a vintage Colombo cashmere/wool overshirt for $40 on ebay in a classic light charcoal/dark-mid gray. Easily the biggest thrift win of the year
I lied - only a few hours later I scored a Gran Sasso cashmere rugby polo for $20 shipped. Obviously they don't know what they had

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics