• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

tobiasfunke19

Reaction score
i also have a question about Ballantyne

i remember blue dragon is made in 1970s, and i just saw two different blue dragons.

so are they both from 1970s?
View attachment 2093977

View attachment 2093979

You can find information about the labels here

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion on the Ballantyne Raw Diamond line? Is this sweater worth $300?. It is definitely heavy and 100% cashmere. Not nearly as soft as my Malo sweaters of a similar weight.

View attachment 2093965 View attachment 2093963 View attachment 2093961

i got curious and read the marketing copy ... they say it is 'raw' but i think what that means is they didn't wash the yarn after they made it , they knitted it straight off and then didn't wash the garment after it was made .

i well remember dww going on about natural lanolin somehow being a part of the 'milling process' but that's nonsense . what really happens is all that stuff gets washed out of the fiber and then it gets treated with carding oils , spinning oils , etc as it gets processed into yarn and then on to knitting or whatever .

machine knitting is hard on yarn and those additives are helpful in protecting the yarn as it gets made up , some folks will further treat a machine knit yarn . it's a bit like sizing a warp on a loom , your sweater is much like raw denim in that way , from the copy and your description that seems to be the concept .

that's why it feels harsh and why it seems heavy . if it's cash i think you did good for 3 hundo and it should get better and actually weigh less as you wash that crap out . it may also change dimension .

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can find information about the labels here

thank you!

i know the site and check it before, but only one kind of blue dragon there.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion on the Ballantyne Raw Diamond line? Is this sweater worth $300?. It is definitely heavy and 100% cashmere. Not nearly as soft as my Malo sweaters of a similar weight.

View attachment 2093965 View attachment 2093963 View attachment 2093961

I have a couple of them and confirm your impressions. It's their goal to recreate that fabulous cashmere so unique and distinctive of the old Ballantynes. In my opinion it's definitely worth $300.

Here my cricket sweater.

20231219_115651.jpg

Johnny80

Reaction score
I had this JoE for work this week this Aran seamless double ribbed neck ...Very nice, well put together, mid weight, slim fit,
-size S- chest 47cm, body length 64cm, uArm length 48cm, shld to shld 41cm
-size M -chest 50cm, body length 66cm, uArm length 49cm, shld to shld 42cm Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 14.59.23.png Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 14.59.34.png

Last edited:

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am floored by the knowledge here, but it must be recognised it is just clothing. 2ply or 8ply, clothing; etc.
FFS, I’m Scottish and I don’t care about which mill my sweaters come from! Believe, me, family is the opposite, Grandma and mum knew them all.

My mantra: recognise quality; buy quality.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
since i became a fan of Scottish sweater (NOS actually) some years ago, i wouldn't pay attention to Italian one anymore.

but everything have exceptions, last time was a fedeli alpaca shawl cardigan in last year , and this Giorgio's just arrive.

i really like the pattern and the MoP zipper head which has a curve on one side... and the MSRP :facepalm:

anyone know who makes it? i think i check all the main makers, but don't find a same tag.
1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

CoolM

Reaction score
To add to this repository of knowledge

Gran Sasso gets its yarns from Todd & Duncan

Still doesn’t say much about the cashmere quality but it’s a data point
I was in Paris a few months ago and came across this shop called L’Officine Paris. It seems that they carry Italian brands, which at the item included some Fedeli and Gran Sasso pieces. The shop owner himself showed me what he had available and I ended going with a Gran Sasso turtleneck. I saw the same Todd & Duncan tag on the garment. Other than that though, there was no Gran Sasso anywhere on the label and it just said L’Officine Paris. I’m thinking this is somewhat common? I did see this shop as a recommended shop in another thread somewhere.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in Paris a few months ago and came across this shop called L’Officine Paris. It seems that they carry Italian brands, which at the item included some Fedeli and Gran Sasso pieces. The shop owner himself showed me what he had available and I ended going with a Gran Sasso turtleneck. I saw the same Todd & Duncan tag on the garment. Other than that though, there was no Gran Sasso anywhere on the label and it just said L’Officine Paris. I’m thinking this is somewhat common? I did see this shop as a recommended shop in another thread somewhere.

Some shops commission their knitwear to producers with their own label. Already said, it would be much preferable to see always the producer label.

insolentpup

Reaction score
Hi all, i'm in europe and i'm wondering what is the main difference between cashmere and merino wool? also, where do you guys buy from? budget up to 500 euro. I have been looking at nomanwalksalone, hard to find stuff in europe

edit: or even just a recommendation for shetland sweaters, if these are better value

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
Some shops commission their knitwear to producers with their own label. Already said, it would be much preferable to see always the producer label.
Sooo many of the established boutiques across Europe have a house label - unless you chat with the owner you’ll never know who made it or to what specifications. It’s a wonderful example for of non existent transparency, mill/yarn spinner - producer/knitter - brand

Hi all, i'm in europe and i'm wondering what is the main difference between cashmere and merino wool? also, where do you guys buy from? budget up to 500 euro. I have been looking at nomanwalksalone, hard to find stuff in europe

edit: or even just a recommendation for shetland sweaters, if these are better value
Cashmere is warmer than merino, and softer - even when the diameter is the same ime, but it’s also a bit more fragile

It depends on the brands you’re looking for, LVR, Giglio, Ahume, Balzar, Spinnaker, MyTheresa, Mr Porter, Tiziana Fausti, all carry brands that are discussed on this thread - if you don’t want to buy direct from a brand

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads