• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to walk girls by my house promising that I was going to be driving it in a few short years (18 to drive in NYC). I even got a girl or 2 to hump me because that car was sitting in our driveway.

Wow, pretty impressive!!! When I was in my late 30s, my 328GTS got 2 high school girls to wave and blow kisses at me, as I was backing the car into our driveway. I told my wife, "Wow, that car is like the fountain of youth. It shaves 20 years off my age, makes me 20 lbs lighter, and gives me a full head of hair again." :wink:

Our Porsche only results in other guys asking questions about it at gas stations when I stop for fuel. I'm thinking if I were single again, I'd go find one of those Fila Thunderbirds :wink:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
@Thrift Vader I know the VIP style though it doesn't seem nearly as popular in the US as it is in Japan. I have a friend who has a bubble eye Lexus GS with the VIP treatment with air suspension treatment.
Yeah, VIP can be a hard pill to swallow first time you see it.
it's Chavvy as fawk.
but i grew up reading magazines of modified muscle cars. with crazy 80's paint jobs, and into the late 90's. with the auto salon scene. when looking at the VIP scene from the outside?
a tamer, more muscle car theme can actually add visual bass. to all the visual treble.

you could say the Japanese VIP culture keeps muscle car modding alive. instead of restoring to stock and locking away.
what we knew growing up continues, only in widebody Toyota's and Honda's.
the formula stays the same. -slammed, nice paint, interior.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thrift, you know how I feel. Everything you've done EXCEPT for that Gucci **** has come out good - even better than I'd imagined to be honest. Or from what I can tell from tiny pictures on my phone.

All the rest of that "VIP" nonsense...please don't. The star lights, underbody neon...shudder.

Be the huge black lowered sedan with tons of road presence but a minimalist approach. You don't need to grab people and say hey look at me! Let them wonder who is that person who doesn't feel the need to call attention to himself...

slyguyWT2

Reaction score
Topic relevant. I have been busy..
View attachment 793186 View attachment 793187

only doing the Door trims, and seat belt pads. putting in fresher steering wheel & seats. keeping the grey/black tones.

Gucci Celsior, made by me.:) still waiting on paint....

Gucci used to make a jib arm cover. I am not sure what length of arm you're running, but a Gucci print arm cover would compliment the doors nicely.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift, you know how I feel. Everything you've done EXCEPT for that Gucci **** has come out good - even better than I'd imagined to be honest. Or from what I can tell from tiny pictures on my phone.

All the rest of that "VIP" nonsense...please don't. The star lights, underbody neon...shudder.

Be the huge black lowered sedan with tons of road presence but a minimalist approach. You don't need to grab people and say hey look at me! Let them wonder who is that person who doesn't feel the need to call attention to himself...

I wouldn't do any of the things he's planning for this car, but I can sort of get the appeal of what he's doing. When we bought my daughter's 1995 VW GTI a few years ago, it had this horrible, dated upholstery--very '90s graphics on a black background. After a while, though, it sort of grew on me in an ironic way--we call it the "Duran Duran" interior and it's part of the quirky character of the car.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Topic relevant. I have been busy..
View attachment 793186 View attachment 793187

only doing the Door trims, and seat belt pads. putting in fresher steering wheel & seats. keeping the grey/black tones.

Gucci Celsior, made by me.:) still waiting on paint....

This was NYC in the 80s. Cars were retrofitted with Gucci, MCM, Louis Vuitton, Coach interiors and sometimes ragtops as well. Rappers, hustlers and wannabe hustlers loved them. Google Dapper Dan of Harlem.

f629d73576d31d9a90bae9b05940891c.jpg

Edit: The NY Times just did an article about Dapper Dan

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/03/fashion/dapper-dan-harlem-gucci.html

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I have spent all day, thinking about what you guys have to say.

@HRoi i understand, this on paper would startle you. you are going to have to trust me.
your post reads like "I know you got skills. and can build beautiful stuff, why are you doing this????!!!!"

-Texture, immersion. to see what the fuss is about.
There are large Black Toyota Sedans everywhere, 40% are modified. to some extent. but they are locals. my car is built from the outside looking in. they never had the exposure to the western car custom culture. i want to try Hot rodding paint & custom techniques in the VIP arena.hence the metalflake, and i am looking into pinstriping and leafing.

the interior was something i picked up in San Francisco, meeting a member. we were in traffic. and a lady pulls up next to us. her whole interior was brown Gucci, her car was beige. i rolled down the window, and said "hey, you. what? Your car is dope. she smiled and waved" she was straight out of an outkast video. sassy, charming. and her car had identity. kind of put a bookmark in my mind for something to try later.

@slyguyWT2 maybe. but it's hard to say, i am going for the black/gray 2-tone. so black floor mats, gray console... hey, it might happen. contemplating painting all the woodgrain to match the exterior. but like the contrast.. gah. hard to choose.

thanks to @jbarwick ,@VaderDave and @Rumpelstiltskin for giving me some rope. you know the scene this car is for.
let's see if they approve of it. ;)

been working on it today also. few weeks to go.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks to @jbarwick ,@VaderDave and @Rumpelstiltskin for giving me some rope. you know the scene this car is for.
let's see if they approve of it. ;)

been working on it today also. few weeks to go.

In those days there were only a couple degrees of separation between "regular people" and those who earned income via unconventional means. Some of my friends and associates weren't the most upstanding members of society yet I'm the son of a professor and a career NYPD officer

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
In those days there were only a couple degrees of separation between "regular people" and those who earned income via unconventional means. Some of my friends and associates weren't the most upstanding members of society yet I'm the son of a professor and a career NYPD officer

surely you all know me by now, i am in a similar boat. Teacher to families by day, teacher to less scrupulous types at bars in the evenings. and have a rep as "The car guy" by all.
locally, am known as "God Hands".

- and all these folk. are waiting to see what i do with this car. there is a lot of local pressure on it. the car is a test to see if i really "Get it". and can fit in. it has to be Jaw dropping. but able to street. with details that grab the eye.

if you had an entire city looking at your car, in a foreign country, how would you build it?

Edited for ranting.

Last edited:

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my father is retiring and really should replace his DD (which is coming up on 350k miles). Not being made of money, he is looking to buy something outright for <10k. I am thinking an '06-'09 328 or 335, as they seem to be available in that price range at around 75-100k miles. What do the BMW cognoscenti think about that? 530s are available in that price range as well, but '06s or earlier. Also some X5s.

Can someone decode the 318, 328, 335 thing? What do the damn letters and numbers mean? I get that x is for all-wheel drive, and that 318->325-->328-->335 means bigger engines, but that's about it..

~ H

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
318 =1.8 liter
320 =2.0 liter
4cyls.

325 =2.5 liter
328 =2.8 liter
335 = 3.0 twin turbo.
6cyls.

from the bunch? 320, or the 6cyls. with all the options.
looks and feels sporty enough. clean one can be had for less than a beat up M3.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads