• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

MB, they make an AMG E wagon, too, but that's not everybody's cup of tea.

I think this year the E AMG is an E43. Damn CAFE.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
E63 AMG is going to be released late 2017. At least the sedan version will be. I'm not sure when the wagon is hitting the US.

gong

Reaction score

indeed, might have seen it pop up on a Subaru forum. and you missed the point of my statement. Forums are small ponds. especially for single makes of car. being the only Wizard in town doesn't make you Michael Jordan. (double pun) He might be very good. and my point was not to call out an individual, rather to infer you take responsibility for tuning into your own hands.
a responsible tuner knows a car inside out, and will understand it's capability before turning it up. or tell you what you need to do before he even opens the laptop. engines don't pop if both the owner, and tuner are on the same page. and in the end, the fingers get pointed at the tuner. so therefore, never get tuned buy a guy who can't wrench.
if a guy can hand assemble an engine,-  select the parts with a goal in mind. put it together, and then tune it? they will put their rep on the line for it. and you can bet the house, that they will make good reliable power, and not pop. what i'm also saying is: a lot of car forum guys are not mechanics. and will go to the popular guy. forget what you heard, talk to a race team engineer if you get the chance. ask what they recommend.

that said, knowing the software doesn't mean the car can handle your inputs, and just because a guy calls himself an engine builder (hey, it's not complicated) doesn't mean they follow procedures to factory spec, correctly aligning valvetrains, and torquing all bolts to spec. mix the two? = a hefty waste of time and money. the term "built engine" for me is a walk. will never buy a random car with one, or one that isn't tuned/hand assembled by someone who's skills i am in awe of.
and of all the Wizards i know? only 1 would i give the keys to. serious. just 1.  you need to find a guy of the same level.or do your research,and be that guy.
fing02%5B1%5D.gif

which @ridethecliche
, i believe you can.

do you see the amount of work involved in having a reliable Subaru then?

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
do you see the amount of work involved in having a reliable Subaru then?

Yes, I do.
I am referred to as "The Almighty" locally for a reason.

so please, read this so i don't need to say it all again.

I only let one other person tune or work on my engine. he isn't on any forums. doesn't have FB or instagram. his shop isn't shiny, with new equipment. and logos everywhere. He's been building fast cars since the 1980's. as both an engine builder, and Japan's highest awarded Tuner for HKS. he is not a fan of Subaru's(at all), but can be trusted to build, and tune. without missing a single step. his engines do NOT fail on startup. and his current RB26 makes in excess of 1,500hp A.T.W.
here he is, at 4:12, leaning on the window of his R32. coaching his driver. (the dude with the grey hair).
0.jpg

you got "Tuners", and then you got the real thing. I am not making jokes, or holding back. He is the best tuner this side of the Pacific.

and lil' old me?

I build my cars clean, and specialize in restorations. cosmetic and mechanical. i dig cars out of their graves. and make them live again.
i have worked alongside former JUN Auto head mechanics, (Who built the JUN Prelude), was taught bodywork by 2 guys with 55 years of experience between them and paint to an "adequate" standard to their eyes. i have worked on 2 international Rally cars, done custom wiring on Alfa Romeo's and Renaults, all manner of Euro's. I recently spent 6 months working on Diesel trucks, for the "Decotora" Dudes, rebuilding Refrigeration systems for 10-20Ton Trucks. and studied at Mitsubishi Heavy industries.(1st Gaijin to do it) as a recommended engineer for their Diesel hybrid refrigeration systems, (Diesel,electric,welding and fabrication,and wiring looms). i have welded Chassis rails on Buses, painted Buses, custom painted a vehicle for Tokyo Auto Salon. (not telling). and have formed relationships with some of the best in the game. With my own car getting the nod from the guys Who Built the worlds fastest Drift car.which was a huge compliment. and a dream come true.
0.jpg

and even have spotted the Mechanics from RE Amemiya looking in my windows. Do you feel me?

Weld,fab,paint,wrench,electrical? I have the Resume` to Support it. I am "The Almighty", or "God hands".- as dubbed by local Japanese Car Guys.
and you have me here everyday to talk to. why not take me seriously?
-Just last week i was offered a full time Job at Isuzu, with sick pay, holiday pay, healthcare, and bonuses. manufacturing machines by hand.
headhunted from the in crowd. another honor.
fing02[1].gif

So. . . . reliable Subaru? Balance it when modding it, as FHI themselves would have.chase performance, not Horsepower. And research it for yourself. if you have knowledge to bargain with when interviewing mechanics/tuners to work on your car. it could save you a lot of money and stress.

furthermore. yeah, i might seem miffed. but i am not out to give you bad advice, and i don't care who does what. if you ask me a question? i will try my best to help you out.

And Subaru's are my Game.
wink.gif

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Best of both worlds...

Build a high revving turbo engine.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im heavily considering picking this up. I barely drive, just around town a few days a week, I work and spend most of my time in the city. Would probably be using this bad boy for errands and groceries, a few out of state trips a year. Dont think id be putting more than 5000 miles a year on it.

tell me anything you think i should know. from everything ive read, with decent upkeep these old Mercs live forever. this seems like a very fair price too. http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/5905473616.html

paging @Thrift Vader you seem to know a lot about older cars.

Last edited:

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone with considerable seat time in a 993 (non-Turbo) care to share their experience(s)? An interesting example has come for sale locally which has piqued my interest.

PorDucMan

Reaction score
Anyone with considerable seat time in a 993 (non-Turbo) care to share their experience(s)? An interesting example has come for sale locally which has piqued my interest.

I've owned a '95 993 C2 coupe for ~12 years. What sort of info are you looking for? Feel free to send me a PM....

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im heavily considering picking this up. I barely drive, just around town a few days a week, I work and spend most of my time in the city. Would probably be using this bad boy for errands and groceries, a few out of state trips a year. Dont think id be putting more than 5000 miles a year on it.

tell me anything you think i should know. from everything ive read, with decent upkeep these old Mercs live forever. this seems like a very fair price too.
The pre-turbo models (anything prior to 1981) are definitely low on power...I think roughly 88 or 90hp...but those old MB diesel power plants are almost indestructible. Sometimes cars that lived in heavily salted areas in the winter, the engines outlive the bodies...but for the most part the bodies are pretty durable and I still see some of these on the roads in New England. My father almost bought the turbo coupe version in 1982 but went with a 6 series BMW instead. Just find a good independent shop that knows these cars and it should give you many years of good use.

I love the 993. Any modern watercooled 911 is quicker...but with vintage cars its no longer as much about 0-60 times as much as the driving experience. That's not to say they weren't quick in their day, but the last 993s produced are nearly 20 years old now, and a lot has happened in 20 years. Still I prefer the 993's size, looks, sound and the way they feel, far more than later (and larger water cooled 911s). They still feel a bit more hand made and more like a cottage industry car, but they have many creature comforts that were missing in the earlier cars, such as an air conditioner that actually worked. They have a very distinctive sound...not a manufactured sound like we get in most modern cars today. One of my friends has a 993C4S that he loves. If I had more time, more garage space, and some extra cash...I'd definitely get one...either than or a G-series 911 (87-89...but those are very quirky, have twitchy handling and are not for everyone). I'm guessing it wouldn't be a daily driver. The slight hassle with the air cooled cars is that they have to work on the engines cold...so you have to bring the car the night before so they can work on it the next day. Still, its the kind of car you have to drive to know if its something you would enjoy. Vintage cars are not everyone's cup of tea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads