• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think also part is wheelbase length. I agree that the Z06 is no doubt really stable at high speeds but I don't think it would feel as relaxed in terms of smoothness and comfort. It truly is scary the way my DM does not transmit speed to the interior cabin. I'll go to pass someone on the highway and look down to find I'm doing over 100 in total surprise.
Well, in terms of smoothness and comfort, its usually a trade off - with sports cars so that they have incredible handling with little to no body roll....but they also tend to use very low profile tires with much thinner sidewalls...so you don't have as much cushioning. However, modern sports cars have gotten far better in terms of having chassis's (not sure what the plural of chassis is) that are so good that you don't need a punishingly stiff suspension to have great handling.

Besides, if it would just be a fun car for weekends...maybe giving up some of that majesticly plush ride would be a worth while trade off to have a sports car to put a grin on your face and enjoy carving up the back roads on a beautiful day.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

It's too bad ramu's not around anymore to have hysterical disagreements with regarding the M4, but I'm not in favor of this option. Just order the 991.2 GT3 or grab a preowned GT4 from those crazy SoCal owners that bubblewrap their cars and not drive them

When is the mkii coming out and what's sticker? I didn't realize it was coming out so soon just need dat manual gearbox. Man **** gt4 used ones are going for msrp, my buddy keeps bugging me to get one but the market turns me off.

I should drive this ZO6 and see what the fuss is about

My buddy is a bmw guy and just got his second corvette, first was an older c5, new one c6 and he loves it. He talked about some valve train bullshit he had to change out due to some factory flaws in order to have long term reliability I think it was the valves and bushings.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another friend of mine drives a big Chevy Suburban for really bad weather, yard projects, or hauling the family, but he daily drives a 2002 Porsche 996 Turbo all year round (even in modest amounts of snow...to date he has put 450,000 miles on the car).

That's pretty ******* awesome.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

When is the mkii coming out and what's sticker? I didn't realize it was coming out so soon just need dat manual gearbox. Man **** gt4 used ones are going for msrp, my buddy keeps bugging me to get one but the market turns me off.

Talked to my guy while my sister was ordering the Macan and he couldn't tell me yet. I'll ask again when she takes delivery in April but if they follow the 997 lifecycle it will be next year.

I'm not expecting a huge price increase from current because IIRC they've never really hiked the GT3 prices. Actually, they'd better take $5k off because no PDK :D

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Yes and No. i know of a local here in the Subaru groups who went through 3 motors, including a ej207. tuned by Matt Miner. ill leave this discussion at that.
it doesn't matter what a dudes name is, if he is building/tuning engines that fail? you are better off learning the proper way to do things yourself.
i know of a Subaru Forum moderator who talked a big game about big hp "Built" ej's. and he was on his 5th engine, with a few of them failing on Startup. "Built by a professional tuner".
"who the **** builds your engines??? and how dumb are you for paying him??? more than once???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
baldy[1].gif

OMG that gave the lads at the bar a good laugh. i think one of my buddies laughed so hard he cried.
crackup[1].gif

I haven't been in a WRX or Evo manufactured after 2008. Are they still the same or have they grown soft and fat like all the other cars ?
The newest WRX is a 4wd Prius, with a junk motor. from a Toyota.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it doesn't matter what a dudes name is, if he is building/tuning engines that fail? you are better off learning the proper way to do things yourself.

Afaik matt doesn't build the cars/engines. He tunes them. He does make recommendations for that stuff, but most people I know just go to him to have things tuned.

That name is relevant because he's known as subaru jesus around these parts.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Afaik matt doesn't build the cars/engines. He tunes them. He does make recommendations for that stuff, but most people I know just go to him to have things tuned.

That name is relevant because he's known as subaru jesus around these parts.

indeed, might have seen it pop up on a Subaru forum. and you missed the point of my statement. Forums are small ponds. especially for single makes of car. being the only Wizard in town doesn't make you Michael Jordan. (double pun) He might be very good. and my point was not to call out an individual, rather to infer you take responsibility for tuning into your own hands.
a responsible tuner knows a car inside out, and will understand it's capability before turning it up. or tell you what you need to do before he even opens the laptop. engines don't pop if both the owner, and tuner are on the same page. and in the end, the fingers get pointed at the tuner. so therefore, never get tuned buy a guy who can't wrench.
if a guy can hand assemble an engine,- select the parts with a goal in mind. put it together, and then tune it? they will put their rep on the line for it. and you can bet the house, that they will make good reliable power, and not pop. what i'm also saying is: a lot of car forum guys are not mechanics. and will go to the popular guy. forget what you heard, talk to a race team engineer if you get the chance. ask what they recommend.

that said, knowing the software doesn't mean the car can handle your inputs, and just because a guy calls himself an engine builder (hey, it's not complicated) doesn't mean they follow procedures to factory spec, correctly aligning valvetrains, and torquing all bolts to spec. mix the two? = a hefty waste of time and money. the term "built engine" for me is a walk. will never buy a random car with one, or one that isn't tuned/hand assembled by someone who's skills i am in awe of.
and of all the Wizards i know? only 1 would i give the keys to. serious. just 1. you need to find a guy of the same level.or do your research,and be that guy.
fing02[1].gif

which @ridethecliche , i believe you can.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's pretty ******* awesome.
He commutes nearly 200 miles daily round trip during the week so he said his commuter car needs to be fast and fun. With modest amounts of snow he takes the rubber lower lip off the front spoiler of his Turbo and drives it to work. He just had the engine rebuilt and the turbos replaced about 2 years ago when the car had about 390,000+ miles on it. Below is an advertisement the independent shop where he brings it for service was running in the regional PCA magazine last year (showing his odometer).

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads