• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Turbo made it worse. Not slower, not a worse sports car or GT. But still worse

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can we turn this back into the Euro ** thread? Porsche just updated the GTS and you can get it in a 7-speed manual with RWD. 450hp, 406tq. I'll have mine in Mexico Blue please. I've loved every version of the GTS and it would be my choice if I were to pick up a Porsche at some point.
I noticed they had back-pedalled a bit regarding the end of manual gearboxes and clutch pedals when they announced the 911R Great looking car and giving customers what they want. Great article in EVO magazine, where it won car of the year followed by....,,,,,,,,,,in second place...............VW Golf GTI clubsport S (also available in manual) :)

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed they had back-pedalled a bit regarding the end of manual gearboxes and clutch pedals when they announced the 911R

Great looking car and giving customers what they want.
Definitely some back pedaling, with the R and talk of the GT3 or GT3RS possibly becoming available with a manual again.

Still, on a car like the GTS, unless a customer specifically orders one with a manual I'd guess almost all the dealers will spec them with PDK transmissions. Most dealers say with the exception of very focused products like Cayman GT4 or 911R its too hard to move cars with manual transmissions so they don't order them that way. Still its nice to know its there if someone chooses to order it that way.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Definitely some back pedaling, with the R and talk of the GT3 or GT3RS possibly becoming available with a manual again.  

Still, on a car like the GTS, unless a customer specifically orders one with a manual I'd guess almost all the dealers will spec them with PDK transmissions. Most dealers say with the exception of very focused products like Cayman GT4 or 911R its too hard to move cars with manual transmissions so they don't order them that way.  Still its nice to know its there if someone chooses to order it that way. 

It's good when a manufacturer actually acknowledges what drivers want I think.

I'm sure the engineers are dumbfounded that customers would want a marginally slower car than they can ultimately produce with PDK and aero parts.

Respect to Porsche for doing the 911R it's just a perfect sports car with all their heritage kind of packed into it in my humble eyes

I'm pretty sure they looked at what Singer in California were doing :)

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RTC, do you want to be a doctor? It might be a stupid question, but walking out into the cold air and asking yourself seriously, might straighten a few things out in your head.

If the answer is "yes", then I'm with the consensus on taking a year: the other way you suggested would be sensible if you issue were just that you are a little behind and need some extra study time. But taking that route puts a new set of deadlines on you and doesn't, I suspect, give you quite enough room to breathe.

If you are taking the year, go and do something completely different for a couple of months somewhere. Seems like the walls are just closing in a bit and you need a walk in the wind, a bucket of water over your head and a kick up the arse. Take it, it will do you good. :)

Nemo, I know that this is what I want to do. I've seen weird glimmers of interest over the last year. It wasn't like the drudge that comes along with working etc. It affected other areas of my life more than I realized until I started taking meds. And yeah, there's a decent chance I'd take a trip or go do a roadtrip this summer if things pan out. I'm probably going to take some time to finish building the car up and spend some time alone getting it working and driving it around and visiting family before holing up again.

Had a meeting with one of the directors of the main course today and talked to him for about an hour. Even when I've been in an unfortunate circumstance, I've been pretty lucky to have pretty fantastic people available to me. We talked for atleast an hour and the conclusion was basically that we were both sure that I could pass, but how does 'just passing' affect my future goals and practice and how does it play a role in putting together the foundation for the rest of my education. He talked a lot about how he has seen everyone from medical students, to residents, to fellows, to attendings try to get through things without the full foundation they needed and how they're always kind of chasing their tail to some degree.

I honestly don't think I made the connections I wanted to make in the material this year. I have spent the last year staring at everything I'm doing through a haze and it is blowing my mind how much more quickly I'm able to understand something or how much longer it takes me to get lost. We both agreed that given how things have gone for both classes this year, my dedicated period would involve a significant amount of time devoted to making sure I had learned all the stuff that is supposed to be fresh from this year. We agreed that it was essentially akin to cramming for the boards.

Part of me knows that I can do this given how I feel, but I'm not sure I can rely on that feeling lasting. I feel like this entire plan is predicated on a schedule and plan working perfectly without any wiggle room for error, or getting sick, or needing a few more days to get something down, or the scariest of all of these... the haze returning for a bit.

Yesterday I felt like I'd made a decision to stay the course and now I'm second myself after talking to someone that I trust and respect.

Yes, I'm aware that the first 2 years are all book learning and the last 2 years are largely clinical, although there is always book stuff to know and learn. My Dad is a retired physician. He thought if you make it through the first 2 years the last two years are much easier. Anyway, wishing you luck with whatever you decide.
cheers.gif

Thanks Dino!

There's always stuff to learn, but the way you learn is very different. I've heard that as well, re: the last two years being easier. I've heard everyone say that they're a lot more fun. Here's to hoping!

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts about cars this week. It's interesting for me to see the Brand loyalty and the reasoning behind individuals choices.

I've worked in the automotive industry for a long time.

For me I like all cars, even the crappy unloved ones. I always seem to able to find something about them that I enjoy.

The Miata: It's a reliable Lotus Elan

Subarus: Low centre of gravity and symmetrical 4x4

Porsche: I like that they stubbornly stick to the rear engine layout despite the competition

Hondas: I love those vtec motors

Citroens: I just like that they do crazy French **** and occasionally stumble into genius

:)

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Porsche customers voted with their wallets. Andreas and the GT division got a metric shitload of feedback about the move from manual, but I'm sure they also noted the meteoric rise in 997 GT3 prices, the success of the GT4, and the number of 991 GT3 owners who traded their cars in for GT4's

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Porsche customers voted with their wallets. Andreas and the GT division got a metric shitload of feedback about the move from manual, but I'm sure they also noted the meteoric rise in 997 GT3 prices, the success of the GT4, and the number of 991 GT3 owners who traded their cars in for GT4's

Yep I would agree with that.

It's got to be tough deciding how cutting edge or retro to go on your "flagship" production car with a 50+ year history though. I'm sure everyone has a slightly different idea of a perfect 911.

The 911R is very cool fast road car

But I totally get why people love the more extreme track orientated cars too

I love them all really but I'm really liking the slightly retro stuff like the latest Targa

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Miata: It's a reliable Lotus Elan

Subarus: Low centre of gravity and symmetrical 4x4
You probably missed this because you're new to this thread, but I daily a 2002 Impreza Wagon and also have a miata that was bought after lots of crowd sourcing with this thread. It's my first manual and it's a blast.

It's getting a makeover right now. Maintenance stuff is almost done and then the next step is engine management, then boost. Have almost all the parts already.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You probably missed this because you're new to this thread, but I daily a 2002 Impreza Wagon and also have a miata that was bought after lots of crowd sourcing with this thread. It's my first manual and it's a blast.

It's getting a makeover right now. Maintenance stuff is almost done and then the next step is engine management, then boost. Have almost all the parts already.

We call the Mazda an MX5 over here

I still get to work on the odd Lotus Elan from time to time, the sprint version is still a quick little car.

I've got a bit of admiration for Mazda as I think they copied (and in a lot of ways improved a good design). On the old Lotus the pop up headlamps were vacuum operated (until they started to leak :))

Are you going to supercharge your Miata??

Look at the spec of the "Sprint" if you can replicate the balance of that car you're on to a winner :)

http://www.lotuselansprint.com/index.asp?pageid=41824

note the 13" wheels and 3000ml service intervals ;)

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We call the Mazda an MX5 over here

I still get to work on the odd Lotus Elan from time to time, the sprint version is still a quick little car.

I've got a bit of admiration for Mazda as I think they copied (and in a lot of ways improved a good design). On the old Lotus the pop up headlamps were vacuum operated (until they started to leak
smile.gif
)

Are you going to supercharge your Miata??

Look at the spec of the "Sprint" if you can replicate the balance of that car you're on to a winner
smile.gif

http://www.lotuselansprint.com/index.asp?pageid=41824

note the 13" wheels and 3000ml service intervals
wink.gif

Going for a turbo setup and trying to build it up so it spools early on. Should make for a more mellow driving experience when not on the gas. I'm ambivalent about the supercharger whine. I like that turbos quieten down a car.

Re the Sprint... holy moly it weighed less than 1600 lbs!

mike1445

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they looked at what Singer in California were doing
smile.gif
Absolutely, video because I like the "fork in the road between lap times and experience" metaphor and I can't help but go ogle this car when I think of it..
0.jpg

On a slightly more attainable note, I'm liking the new A/S5 sportback that's finally coming stateside

0.jpg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the engineers are dumbfounded that customers would want a marginally slower car than they can ultimately produce with PDK and aero parts.

Yes, my salesman for our last Porsche purchase said, the engineers find it difficult to justify putting a roughly a 100 year old designed component into their most modern vehicles.

But as mentioned, he and other sales people told me unless a customer orders a car with a manual, the dealership will not on their own spec any of their cars to have manuals because they just can't move them (with the exception of the specialty cars like GT4s and 911Rs).
Yes, well with the GT cars it is a very focused group of buyers...but its not quite the same with their other cars.

There was an interesting article on this topic in the January 2017 BMW CCA Roundel magazine, by Tom Plucinsky, discussing the demise of manuals in several models of BMW. In short if people want manuals to be available he said, as you did, speak with your wallet and order them in new cars. Help companies justify making them. The article reminds us that the 7 Series E23 from the late 70s through the E32 of the early 90's (I think only the 6 cylinder not the 8s) were available with manual transmissions. However, there was a drastic drop off in sales of manual 7s that made it impossible to justify offering it with a manual, and sadly this is a trend that is happening with other models...even M cars. He goes on to mention the first M3 100% were manuals, the next generation was nearly 100% manual, but that with the e92 number has since slipped to 25%, and that number continues to shrink. He says [and also I have hear people say the same thing] that "They are happy that BMW [or Porsche, Lotus, Aston etc.] still offers a manual, but then they buy a car with some form of automatic transmission, citing wanting a wife/girlfriend to be able to drive the car or saying there is too much traffic on their commute. So its up to the buying public to purchase new cars with manuals if they want them to be available in future generations of cars.
On a slightly more attainable note, I'm liking the new A/S5 sportback that's finally coming stateside
Meh...I can't say I've ever been a fan of the A7/S7 and this new A5/S5 sport back isn't doing anything for me either.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
ok @gong
Round 2.

If you wanna do the Hondabangbang
This is probably the best place to start.
https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/5955284218.html

shopping list:
Project Mu Big Brakes front and back, with lines and the best Brake fluid you can put in it.
Greddy Coilovers
Volk Rims, Federal 595RR tires.
Kakimoto Exhaust.

Bride seats, Nardi wheel. weighted gear knob.

then the hard stuff pro's can be consulted.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads