• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lol, thanks gentlemen.

(I was hoping someone would say 'reports of unreliability somewhat exaggerated', but c'est la vie!)

cheers.gif

I guess the carmax option with warranty for crazy cars always exists...

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife got an email from The Grand Tour this morning saying they may call for tickets for their Nashville, TN taping soon. Still does not guarantee tickets so I told her to take her phone everywhere.

Something I found I take for granted these days is that my Sat Nav changes the time in my car when I cross time zones or for DST. It is the small things like not having to change the car clock that I enjoy.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
@SirReveller. You want an FR open top. And a car that can go anywhere in winter. Why not a Tractor?
[VIDEO] [/VIDEO]
:slayer:

Last edited:

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bad idea to take the 997 to any old muffler shop to have my Sharkwerks bypass pipe installed? Quoted by several people are being a 1-2 hour job but 2 of my local independent shops are trying to charge me for 4 or 4.5 hours :foo:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bad idea to take the 997 to any old muffler shop to have my Sharkwerks bypass pipe installed? Quoted by several people are being a 1-2 hour job but 2 of my local independent shops are trying to charge me for 4 or 4.5 hours
foo.gif
Yes, pretty much a bad idea. How many 997s do you think the average old muffler shop works on in a year if any? Sorry, but I would only take a Porsche to dealer or a very respected independent shop with lots of brand experience.

I've seen horror stories about expensive cars taken to average shops to get the job done for less money. I've heard of things such as car's coming back damaged (idiot who can't drive stick, puts car into wall), idiot not used to low clearance of front spoiler ripping a chunk out of the front spoiler (then saying the owner brought it in that way), and my recent favorite...someone contacted our office after bringing a Land Rover to an average shop for an oil change...a guy working under the vehicle drained the transmission fluid, then the guy working on the top added 8 quarts of oil, they sent the guy on his way with no transmission fluid but and engine overfilled with oil. Owner got part way to NYC before the car detonated...engine and transmission are toast...nearly $40K to replace.

I don't personally know how much time is necessary to install the sharkwerks bypass pipe. I don't know who quoted 1-2 hours...are those DIYers or other shops? I'm sure most DIY peeps can do lots of jobs in half the "Book time" quoted by many shops. But if you can't do the job yourself and you can't find a reputable place who says the job can be done in 1-2 hours...then I'd bite the bullet and get it done at the most affordable reputable shop willing to do the work. An hour or 2 of labor extra isn't that much compared to the headache of having to get F*cked up car repaired.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had Champion Motorsport install mine while in he process of doing other work, but tbh it looks like a fairly simple job. The thing is basically a replacement muffler can. Not sure if they had to take off the rear bumper, though

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ It's a bolt-on unit and the bumper doesn't need to come off. If I had a lift (and tools), I could do it myself (and I haven't wrenched on my own car since high school)--it's that easy of a job.

Not risking it over $250 though. Taking it to the indy and having them do everything at once (suspension, short shifter, etc.). Thank you Dino for being the voice of reason (as always).

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not risking it over $250 though. Taking it to the indy and having them do everything at once (suspension, short shifter, etc.). Thank you Dino for being the voice of reason (as always).
Smart choice!!! You have a car your love, its well worth spending a little extra for peace of mind. I've found over the years, I've easily spent an hours labor on less important things that matter little today. In the grand scheme of things, you will thank yourself for spending a little extra and not worrying about your car.

When our Porsche arrived at the dealer, I used a detail shop to install paint protection film on our Porsche (because they were ranked within the top 10 detailers in the country), and it was about 50 miles from my dealer to the shop. I could have driven in there myself, and maybe nothing would have happened to it. However, I had heard a story of a local guy driving a new 997 Turbo for a weekend before putting ppf on his car and he took a stone to the hood leaving a big nasty chip in the paint. I didn't want to risk that with our perfect new dark metallic blue paint, and there was a chance of light snow and salting in some areas...so I spent $200 having the car flat bedded to the detail shop. Then by the time the car was coming home it had snowed and although the streets had been plowed and were drive they had been salted, so I spent $400 and had the car transported in an enclosed trailer to my home. Sure it was money I didn't have to spend, but I had peace of mind about what the car would or wouldn't be subjected to. It was definitely worth it for me. Cheers!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads