• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Large luxury sedans, regardless of propulsion method, occupy similar space, no? You're the one who brought up the car's aesthetics. The way a car looks are one of the most subjective qualities about them and honestly one of the most important factors for consumers. You think it's boring and for boring consumers, that's fine. I honestly think the new 5 is better looking than a Model S and at par or better than any of the other mid level large lux sedans.

My singling out of the Tesla was easy bait to get some polarizing action in this thread. A ploy which obviously works every, single, time.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haha I don't mind ramu having an opinion because there have been a few great discussions on this thread. I just don't understand why he's so seemingly worked up about things whenever it comes to Teslas!

Don't go dude. Just chill a bit!

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seriously ramubrah, you need to chill the f out when people don't sing anything that's not remotely positive about Tesla.

It really hampers your credibility when you emotionally lash out and throw ad homs to people for simply disagreeing with you.

Not a good look at all.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I suspect there are Tesla fans and people who are interested in care who own a Tesla. Having owned Porsche, Maserati, Caterham, etc I am a car person who will own a Tesla and a Land Rover Defender and an Audi TT. I am with Thrift and SirR lets celebrate cars whatever they are

First, you seem like classy dude.

Second, I won't apologize for the stuff against w/a. I posted something about the new 5 being boring and he brought Tesla into that with no relevance to what I posted about. I was super tired, two days, came back from a short trip to India (~16 hours) after my grandfather died and yesterday a drive to the north bay, which was 1.5 hours each way.

The drunk comments pissed me off further. However, I got a solid nights sleep and Hroi, FF, Thrift, GF, Piob et al :cheers:.

Just don't expect me to not be opinionated. :)

Last edited:

mike1445

Reaction score
Ramuroast over here. Sorry to you loss, man, hope the family's holding up.

I'm gonna have to agree that 5 series looks boring, but this coming from a guy that likes the 5 GT, so **** me, right.

https://electrek.co/2016/10/12/tesl...uxury-sedan-market-beating-mercedes-bmw-audi/

Tesla is eating up market share in the luxury sedan segment so I think it might have to be the new benchmark... personally, the A7 is the only car in that lineup that does anything for me visually.

Last edited:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It wasn't me asking for sympathy, more so explaining being sort of a dick (again). Last family member I respected (that includes my still alive mom). WWII vet under British rule, teacher turned farmer.

Last edited:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Large luxury sedans, regardless of propulsion method, occupy similar space, no? You're the one who brought up the car's aesthetics. The way a car looks are one of the most subjective qualities about them and honestly one of the most important factors for consumers. You think it's boring and for boring consumers, that's fine. I honestly think the new 5 is better looking than a Model S and at par or better than any of the other mid level large lux sedans.

My singling out of the Tesla was easy bait to get some polarizing action in this thread. A ploy which obviously works every, single, time.

Lebron James is a traitor turned redeemer, anything about the Yankees, also works - on ESPN.com. The level of intelligence behind it - well that is debatable.

You did jack **** to spur an intelligent convo. Are you going for clickbait on The View clips?

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First, you seem like classy dude.

Second, I won't apologize for the stuff against w/a. I posted something about the new 5 being boring and he brought Tesla into that with no relevance to what I posted about. I was super tired, two days, came back from a short trip to India (~16 hours) after my grandfather died and yesterday a drive to the north bay, which was 1.5 hours each way.

The drunk comments pissed me off further. However, I got a solid nights sleep and Hroi, FF, Thrift, GF, Piob et al
cheers.gif

Just don't expect me to not be opinionated.
smile.gif

Haha, we like that you're opinionated. Just don't like when you get needlessly ragey. You left me out of that list you loser!

Good thoughts to you and yours. My grandfather had a stroke last year and it's a bit surreal to have grown up in the motherland and realizing that I'm halfway around the world and probably wouldn't be able to make it back if something were to happen.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha, we like that you're opinionated. Just don't like when you get needlessly ragey. You left me out of that list you loser!

Good thoughts to you and yours. My grandfather had a stroke last year and it's a bit surreal to have grown up in the motherland and realizing that I'm halfway around the world and probably wouldn't be able to make it back if something were to happen.

Grr....you and Dino. Total system failure from old age or cancer is the invariable end.

To keep the thread on track :p:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Step out of the thread for a few days and find all the fireworks are here and not in the Trump thread!

Rambrauh, sorry to hear about your grandfather. Time is the illness we can never cure (no matter what Harv says.)

I promise to give Tesla a go as soon as they reach my parameters. ;)

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lebron James is a traitor turned redeemer, anything about the Yankees, also works - on ESPN.com. The level of intelligence behind it - well that is debatable.

You did jack **** to spur an intelligent convo. Are you going for clickbait on The View clips?

I disagree that bringing Tesla into the conversation was something that had no relevance. You passing judgement on a comparable $, size, and class (propulsion aside) as boring brings your other related judgments and opinions into play. No one would take your 5 series opinion in vacuum, it's weighed against what you've very vocally posted throughout this forum, at least by anyone who is familiar with Cars We Drive.

Nvidia cards stomp AMD in almost every category, sadly. I'm a fan of the underdog but they just haven't been able to put out compelling products for me, choosing to focus on mass market and enterprise options for their shareholders (can't blame them) than give enthusiasts what they want. Aesthetics and looks of the units are usually less important for GPUs as they're fairly homogeneous.

I'm sorry for your loss and know how that related emotional and physical exhaustion can be draining. I like your stories, that you're a true car guy to your core who has his heart in the right place, and have a lot of helpful things to add here, but the rage replies are getting pretty tiresome especially since they're so easily provoked. RTC hit the nail on the head with "needlessly ragey".

Honestly I think Tesla has awesome tech, is a precursor to the way we will drive in the future and all that, but I personally don't like the way any of their cars are styled. That would be a pretty big hurdle for me to get over if I were looking at picking up something in that price range right now. The 5 series an interesting option with the 550xi packing quite the punch in a style that I'm fine with; doesn't set me on fire but it works. If MB had something between the E300 and AMG E63 that would probably be my preferred choice. Maybe I'm just, as you say, boring but I won't just roll over on my opinions just like you won't on yours.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ramuman sorry for your loss my friend. Hopefully good memories of him will get you and your family through this difficult time.

On car related matters, we were invited to drive the new 718 Boxster and Boxster S on an auto cross course, and we to drive the new turbocharged 991.2 S (911S) and Macan GTS, Macan S, a Cayenne, and a new base Macan, on a race track. I didn't have much time behind the wheel of the new 718 Boxsters...so I didn't form much of an impression (other than at idle they sound like my neighbor's WRX, but when someone is really on it, they do sound better). But I'm also not really in love auto cross courses so maybe it wasn't the best way for me to experience a 718.

Although, I am a big fan of Porsches, I've never really had that much interest in the newer 911s (other than the 911R and the 997 GT3RS 4.0). However, the latest 911s were pretty impressive on the track. It was definitely the hardest I've ever pushed any 911 in corners. Would have liked see what I could do with one of their mid engine cars on the track, but still I had an absolute blast. The Macan GTS and S were both fun to play with on the track...the Cayenne didn't do much for me (too big and too much body roll), but I'm not an SUV person. Then they sent us out for a "Hot lap" as a passenger in the 911s with a professional driver at the wheel and it was awesome! I had a great time, but just looking at the cosmetic condition of these relatively new 911s that were being tracked, helped reinforce the idea that I'd never track a car I really cared about and intended to keep for a long time.

Below are a few pix from the Porsche event.

We also started researching and looking at new cars for the Mrs (not Porsches). It will be interesting to see if she makes the switch from a 4 door sedan to a coupe.

The 718s

The Fleet of 911s

The SUVS on the track

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads