• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Down's syndrome "jokes" are not acceptable. But to be honest, I don't see that any GIFs add much to the discussion.

Anyway, back to hydrogen: seriously, I agree. It allows the existing internal combustion principle that we all know and love to continue: all that character and noise and feel that only comes from blowing something up in eight cylinders. It's inexhaustable. Burning it is environmentally sustainable. Hurray.

But, unless some genius new catalytic chemical process is found, it takes power to make. To me it seems logical for that to be solar - perhaps even integrated into the vehicle, recycling your "fuel" all day long in the car park, with stations to top up on really long journeys. Or something.

Either way, the technology is alive in the hands of people smarter than me, and I suspect it will reach the mainstream long before self-crashing cars.

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm marsupialed so I'm allowed to make marsupial jokes. ;) It's not to add anything to the discussion, but there is a point being made.

So many people getting blocked in this thread for not agreeing.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I don't know any of the science in regards to electric vs. hydrogen, it seems like it would take someone like Musk in the hydrogen space to get it moving forward.

The one thing I know is numbers and how management in behemoth companies look at them so hydrogen will not become prominent stuck in some corporate structure. It would only be a pet project with limited funds saying "look at me" while they continue to road of doing what they have done in the past until they are forced to change or die.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the time has come to move from driving beemers and my '17 VW Golf R (Lapiz Blue) will be here next week :happy:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score

While I don't know any of the science in regards to electric vs. hydrogen, it seems like it would take someone like Musk in the hydrogen space to get it moving forward.

The one thing I know is numbers and how management in behemoth companies look at them so hydrogen will not become prominent stuck in some corporate structure.  It would only be a pet project with limited funds saying "look at me" while they continue to road of doing what they have done in the past until they are forced to change or die.

@Jbarwick is exactly on the money. While the major players could bring out a perfect new product? It would destroy the market that makes their dough. Ask Elon. He no doubt knows he got the Japanese in a corner. Because the current old boys are holding market share.(60's) The management is spineless and lacklustre (50's) but the guys who are next to the top? (40's) want to shake the tree. And the new wave of engineers (20's-30's) are ready to play ball. I see it everyday. The enthusiasm. The skills. The teamwork. -In their attitudes. It's great to see. Innovation is stifled by the establishment. Musk has a base walk there. But it is far from over. These young dudes got ideas. And can make it happen. Stay tuned. A great story is about to unfold..

People with a disability are people too. And if one wants to flip the bird at haters? Imma give him a fistbump :fistbump: and back him up.
You can't PC your way out of disabled people being people too.

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tiptoeing around a pissing contest asking for pictures sounds like a good way to make sure you get peed on.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I''ll have you know something @ramuman. I didn't go to high school. I got me a job. (On a production line) And paid my own bills. I have been "Blue collar" since you were still getting dropped off at school in your new kicks. We are the same age. You feel me? I am cotdamn proud of how hard i have worked to get where i am.

Now? I am respected as a Mechanic, a Painter, and a custom fabricator. I have either worked with, for, or hang out with Japan's most elite tuners. Who build cars you see on top gear, youtube, and at car shows.
I personally have wrenched on everything from racecars (asia pacific rally) to Rolls Royces. Worked with the guys who built the "JUN Auto" prelude, and "hyper lemon" R33. Had coffee and regular chats/car talk With Japan's fastest drag car builder(hks dealer). With friends from other major shops.

If you want to call my education and engineering knowledge into question?
You have kicked a rock at Japan's newest underground street car builder.
And i make as much as a medical proffessional. Trying to lock down a buy on the biggest house i have ever set foot in.
-earned blue collar.

So you are buddies with musk? The way you sell it, i'd expect to see a semi stock Tesla at Lemans. If you want real car guys to take notice? Winning at least one race is a start. Mini's had to do it. And they changed the game. Musk wants to change the game? Some wins help.

Nissan is at least backing their tech. Even if Lemans was a fail. They see an electric future. Toyota has a huge market share with their hybrids. And are working on a Hydrogen infrustructure around Tokyo. Long way off. But they are behind Hydrogen. And i am too.

Until then? The most environmentally responsible thing any of us can do is?
Rescue an old car. Restomod it to run on ethanol. :slayer: -Or used cooking oil.

We stand on opposite sides of the table. - i won't ever block you. It takes more than one opinion to have a discussion. But don't take me for a fool.

Because right now i am on an "all expenses paid" vacay at Mitsubishi heavy industries. So ask yourself, how does a whiteboy with no degree, who can't read or write Japanese. find themselves in a room with engineers from across Japan, being taught 1 to 1 by MHI's head engineers? ?

I earned it. And i am a ******* prodigy.
Straight walk. No money, no papers, no tests. This is mine. And silver spooners can't take it from me. Or taint it.
You want me to restomod a JDM hero? Make an appointment.

I've never met the dude, which is surprising because of how often I'm there and he's there. He's never sold them as sports cars. Until they make a new roadster, they'll remain boring but quick in a straight line family cars.

Also, I would never block you as well. You come across an intelligent dude who obviously knows a ton about cars. My high school comment wasn't meant to be taken literally or directed at you offensively. I come from an engineering background, so social skills are not my forte.

I love Tesla because it is an out and out Si Valley company from the culture to the work ethic, which resonates with me. If other manufactures want to compete on any front with them and put out a compelling product, then I think it would be welcomed with open arms. The same can be said about Google, SanDisk, Intel, etc. They come across as dickish in the press because they are publicly traded companies and do have an obligation to their shareholders - which they themselves will admit sucks, but Kleiner Perkins or Sequoia don't fund you otherwise and you're relegated to your dorm room or parents garage (I know this because I'm on Sand Hill Road and college campuses begging for money more than I'd like).

I apologize for my endless defense of Tesla. My only comment is, if someone wants to beat them in any way in their market, it's welcomed (and, again, they've never claimed to make a racing car).

I simply think they make something compelling that is important for the world and will try and continue to do so in good faith.

Last edited:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HooooWeeee Thrift vs Ramu!

You guys are too riled up man. I was never a science guy so no dog in this engineering fight. I can talk fancy about capital markets from work or discuss obscure old wars. Other than that I'm more like Thrift's jpeg on this kinda thing lol.

Suffice to say for me *immediate* Hellcat-level torque is tough to criticize...however Dyson vacuum acoustics and a special green license plate with a little green leaf on it? Certain words come to mind. Lol. However lots of people think Tesla is the **** so who cares what I think. Enjoy away. Nice culo for sure. I'd put that spend towards a new CTS-V mehself but people digging different cars makes driving fun!

*Ramu you should unblock FF. Blocking is like the kid who tattles on the schoolyard bully instead of waiting around the corner from his house with a Louisville Slugger. Also he didn't really deserve it and has posted a big nerdy memo you won't get to read now. Unblock it and see if you can hit it out of the park.

They can't really do much about the acoustics - electric motors will sound like electric motors. Also, when I lived in Georgia, those plates were all you got with an electric car. In California they give you two regular plates and 3 stickers. I chose to not install the front plate or stick on the hideous stickers - all of which are in the small storage compartment in my trunk. Blame the politicians, not the EV makers for those decisions.

I've also never defended Tesla as superior to everything else in all ways by any means. Simply that they're pushing for where we'll all be eventually, like it or not. In fact, for a decent time, I had a Tesla with an M4 and likely will with another gasoline car sometime in the future. The M4 had far more soul and was always more fun to drive, especially on a lazy Sunday on backroads.

My usual drive is boring as hell on the 101 or the 880, or if I'm lucky and have time, the PCH. Occasionally, I might have a few people that want to pop in that I'm picking up/dropping off at the airport with suitcases, and it's fine for that. It's not some sexy supercar that sounds like a bat out of hell, nor has it ever been marketed as such.

I will be nitpicky and say the torque isn't quite instant, but dang near close and you basically have to be looking at the speedo to see how fast you're going (otherwise you'll only hear Paradise City and police sirens.) - which I fully agree removes another degree of romanticism, in a loose way, similar to what SMGs/DCTs did.

Last edited:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well the patron saint was criticized.  He's lucky he wasn't stoned to death.

He's unblocked. Yes - I can be pedantic. Which sort of works in the business world, but not the social world - especially the online social world. :embar: I guess it comes with the territory of being a bullied only child - again :embar: .

Also FF's Tesla post was correct. What Tesla was quoting in the US (and I don't know where else), they clearly stated it was 'combined' and not 'total' in a way that said if both motors ran at full power this is what you'd get, rather than in the real world.

The advantage they have is that they can push firmware updates that bring it closer to reconciling the combined and total figures and 8.0 basically makes it such, however, there was unclear wording.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Wow, missed a donnybrook. Kiss and make up you two as you both bring the good **** to this thread.

In other news, cheering was heard from every male (and some females) between the ages of 15 and 75, south of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anybody else see that theyre also bringing back the ranger?!

Altho i assume it will be a midsize, a la tacoma and the redux dodge pup (name escapes me)

Whatever happened to that category? The world deserves - nay, demands! - a new mini truck

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good question. Those mini pickups are surprisingly useful and give you a big piece of big truck functionality with very few of the drawbacks. Some of them even had crew cabs!

They're still pretty ubiquitous as work trucks, and had a very active modding scene when I was in California

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I had a Ranger back in the mid-90s. Five speed, BBFA package with air. It never let me down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads