• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From an academic point of view this thread is like a textbook example of the adoption cycle. Early adopters throwing them selves in, despite drawbacks. The early majority holding back until the drawbacks have been neutralised, and the late majority/laggards not even wading in. I humbly submit Ramuman as the early adopter, GreenFrog and Find Fin as Early and Late majority respectively, and Pio as Laggard.

This whole discussion could be drawn in low quality cartoons in the back of some dusty textbook for first year marketing students.

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score
From an academic point of view this thread is like a textbook example of the adoption cycle. Early adopters throwing them selves in, despite drawbacks. The early majority holding back until the drawbacks have been neutralised, and the late majority/laggards not even wading in. I humbly submit Ramuman as the early adopter, GreenFrog and Find Fin as Early and Late majority respectively, and Pio as Laggard.

This whole discussion could be drawn in low quality cartoons in the back of some dusty textbook for first year marketing students.

100% agree.
Wait until we get to Gartner's "Trough of Disillusionment"

As long as we don't talk about Gartner magic quadrants.

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to work for Gartner. I don't want to look at another Magic Quadrant for the rest of my life.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So most interesting news for me in a long, long time. Rumour is BMW will have a larger SUV in 2018. Maybe I'll join the BMWBlowjobThread.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I'll have you know I'm usually an early adopter, but in the case of vehicles, I'm more early majority. I mean, all I want is a full size SUV and a 500 mile range. Why I won't be an early adopter with cars is they cost a whole bunch more than say a digital camera (had one back in 1999) or a home NAS (can't remember when I didn't have one).

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll take that as a complement. Someone has to do it. It's never cost efficient from a purely utilitarian sense, but it is if you care about it enough.

I feel like I was getting thrown under the bus from a of bunch assholes that likely have never even driven a Tesla, much less lived with one. So thanks man.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ramubrah... This is not a good look.

I'll step back on this and go back to just being a car guy in this thread. My plane just landed and my good friend is getting married tomorrow. I'll chill out, get some good Texas food and go back to being as normal as I can.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll have you know I'm usually an early adopter, but in the case of vehicles, I'm more early majority. I mean, all I want is a full size SUV and a 500 mile range. Why I won't be an early adopter with cars is they cost a whole bunch more than say a digital camera (had one back in 1999) or a home NAS (can't remember when I didn't have one).

I'll take that as a complement. Someone has to do it. It's never cost efficient from a purely utilitarian sense, but it is if you care about it enough.

I feel like I was getting thrown under the bus from a of bunch assholes that likely have never even driven a Tesla, much less lived with one. So thanks man.

It was never meant to be insulting - I'm a laggard with cars (buying at the end of production cycles to maximise reliability), and we each have the areas in which we are early adopters (mine is personal tech, my partner's is cameras) It was just an observation that threw me back a decade to my classes.

Edit: and Pio, I do believe that Mercedes recently dragged you kicking and screaming into the new world order with their engine choices... Nothing wrong with being a late majority - the early adopters are the ones who take all the risk and suffer all the pains. It's not exactly a position to aspire to.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

It was never meant to be insulting - I'm a laggard with cars (buying at the end of production cycles to maximise reliability), and we each have the areas in which we are early adopters (mine is personal tech, my partner's is cameras) It was just an observation that threw me back a decade to my classes.

Edit: and Pio, I do believe that Mercedes recently dragged you kicking and screaming into the new world order with their engine choices... Nothing wrong with being a late majority - the early adopters are the ones who take all the risk and suffer all the pains. It's not exactly a position to aspire to.

Didn't take it as an insult in the least. I seriously am usually an early adopter, early majority at the latest. I agree with the risk and pain as I've experienced it which is why I'm not an EA with them. I'm not sure I'd call the engine thing as part of the whole adoption cycle though. Also, I've been driving GLs since they were the new kids on the block, so I could make the case I early adopted them. ;)

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Oddly I work with a field, where we earn our money by being first movers.

I have been seriously close to buying a Tesla more than once, I mentioned it a while ago, but the lack of infrastructure also came back and punched me in the face (1000 charge points around town, which is too little and the spots are always taken), also I live in an apartment with street parking, so again charging is a huge hassle.

With electric cars now getting taxed, a Model S P90D is pretty much the same as an S500h, instead of having to compare it to a well spec'd A6 3.0 tdi and Tesla's build quality just isn't up to par with an S-Class (I know a bunch of Tesla owners). That together with the lacking infrastructure I'm sticking with fossile fuel, until they either get better build quality, remove the tax (fingers crossed), improve the infrastructure or improving the range. The same goes for hydrogen cars, which I actually prefer as a concept, as you are able to fill them up like a fossile fuel car.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads