• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jet- Yeah, I can see where you are coming from, cars are everywhere in California so you have been exposed to it for much longer than I have. I finally went on a show and drive in April and a rally in May, and it was pretty fun running the canyons with other people, so I would definitely rather experience those than a static show.

I'd eventually like to try autocross.

bawlin' that black-and-red P1 interior is amazing!

Find Finn- I think I'd get the orange-over-black.

Last edited:

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Test drove a 428 and 435 today and really liked them. C class and a5 don't really appeal to me - c not appealing on the basis of styling and a5 as I tend to think it's may be underpowered (and overdue for a redesign). Am I doing myself an injustice by not driving them? Anything else I should consider in this range? It's a daily driver ~50 miles on the highway per day, no passengers and awd is a must where I live.

Last edited:

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Test drove a 428 and 435 today and really liked them. C class and a5 don't really appeal to me - c not appealing on the basis of styling and a5 as I tend to think it's may be underpowered (and overdue for a redesign). Am I doing myself an injustice by not driving them? Anything else I should consider in this range? It's a daily driver ~50 miles on the highway per day, no passengers and awd is a must where I live.

FYI.... 428 = A5 and 435 = S5.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Edit: even worse up close... Driver is supposedly only 22:

That's about 4 years older than the average Aventador owner here.

Seen that car before. Sucks about the accident. Can't say I care too much though - I'm sure he has a 458 in the garage and a Huracan on order. And a G63. Every Asian in Vancouver has a G63.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Mike, post 13934 was in response to gravitas.

Dude, you were there at Crystal Cove? Those were the days. Nothing better then that when I drove my rattle boxes out on the short ride from Laguna. Damn the Irvine Company for kicking us out. But yes, the head of strategic design for Ford graciously then opened up the parking lot at the Ford design center on Barranca (In these days, the building was the headquarter for the non-Ford brands that they owned: Aston, Volvo, etc.).

Since then, it has been there and is still growing. It was the very first Cars & Coffee on the planet and all the others followed it's lead, though it is still the only one in OC (There are other breakfast cruise ins though). We even made special window stickers for our cars (What can I say, grown men playing with old cars. Same as kids playing with toy cars ...). now, every Sat morning, 6am - ~9am, we have ~300 cars, mostly classics of all shapes and forms with modern exotics and the occasional "Fast and Furious" crowd thrown in. This being Orange County, you usually also see some of the serious collectors bringing out the multi-million-$ iron.

Was not there last weekend, but the previous two weekends. Also did not make it to Rodeo Drive this Sun. It is a bit of an acquired taste. I don't like the setting with the cars on asphalt and roped off. Though, if you are a Chequered Flag 200 member, you can go to Bruce Meyer's personal collection and that indeed is mind blowing (Think significant Ferrari race cars that won Le Mans in the 50's and similar toys in a spectacular loft setting that blows away any "bachelor pad" I have ever seen ... right behind Rodeo Drive ... in BH ...).

Let me know when you plan on going to C&C and say hi. Next up is the big event: Pebble Beach week in August.

Mike

Yeah, I knew a guy with an orange gallardo who then got a carrera GT, kind of shady guy I'm sure you probably know of him. It was a good time then, **** the irvine company nazis. I pretty much stopped going when c&c started. I will let you know or better yet let me know, I'll be the guy with a cigar who doesn't look like he smokes cigars. I was supposed to go to pb the past 6 years but never worked out and I just don't see the value in dropping over 1200 for the weekend (eg renting a house there) just to look at some cars and watch some race.

I hear you - I am more into playing with cars, less staring at them though I still can drool over some rare machinery and participate in the occasional concours (Especially when they have excellent free booze like Greystone or Quail). I am part of a good group of OC and LA classic car collectors and we do a lot of fun stuff together and with our cars (driving, showing, breaking them), so the social aspect of it is fantastic.

I am not so much into the super car thing so I do not know the folks into modern-day Ferraris, Lambos, McLs, etc. unless they also drive some old stuff. If folks have not been at C&C though it definitely is a worth doing it if you are in the area and a car nut.

An older friend of mine has a great bmw something csi rather that I helped restore, great guy some of those newport guys and not the typical oc pricks. I do enjoy the new machinery but enjoy the classics too.

Jet- Yeah, I can see where you are coming from, cars are everywhere in California so you have been exposed to it for much longer than I have. I finally went on a show and drive in April and a rally in May, and it was pretty fun running the canyons with other people, so I would definitely rather experience those than a static show.

I'd eventually like to try autocross.

Oddly enough all my friends used to autocross a long time ago but I never did, it's great for car control I think more so than big tracks like willow. I basically learned my car control in a big empty lot so I never conepacked. I think there is value in doing both auto-x and big tracks, the latter of which I've done with a bunch of porsche guys.

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Eh. I'm over white cars, but Manny Khoshbin did a great job with his (the interior, particularly):

Yeah I have seen that on instagram, I'm not feeling it 100%.

This is still the way to go for me, especially in saphire black.

That's about 4 years older than the average Aventador owner here.

Seen that car before. Sucks about the accident. Can't say I care too much though - I'm sure he has a 458 in the garage and a Huracan on order. And a G63. Every Asian in Vancouver has a G63.

You wouldn't be allowed to insure any of those car here at that age, but it must be nice with a huge trust fund and a G63.

crm1

Reaction score
Not my phot but here's what I'm currently driving! An 05 nissan sentra

And shopping for a Volkswagen Phaeton after graduation

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Graduating from what? Old Man School?

The Phaeton is a pretty dang cool car (at least the couple I drove back after it was first introduced in 2005 or so were pretty nifty), but seems like a pretty odd car for anyone young. Gigantic hunk of expensive metal, which would probably be a pain to park in any of the places young people like to live or visit.

crm1

Reaction score

Graduating from what? Old Man School?

The Phaeton is a pretty dang cool car (at least the couple I drove back after it was first introduced in 2005 or so were pretty nifty), but seems like a pretty odd car for anyone young. Gigantic hunk of expensive metal, which would probably be a pain to park in any of the places young people like to live or visit.

Haha graduating from undergrad with degrees in criminal justice and pre law. I like quirky, interesting cars. As much as I'd love a 60's Camaro, newer Boxster or Any other kind of crazy and exciting car, Sometimes you just want some leather and something different! I was also looking at E90 BMWs as well

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

getting a license plate with the model designation is utterly stupid, so is putting the wheels on from a newer iteration of your car

you might change your mind if you see an E46 M3 with E90 M3 gunmetals wheels.............looks great!

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It seems like they are fairly constant price wise, they have been around the 250k mark for a decade now.

I would go outlaw 356 coupe over the speedster, as there's a shitload of beetle platform speedster replicas around and it just seems foolish to buy a real one (at least to me).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads