• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

between NY and LA, I have seen maybe 3 or 4 8-series over the past 3 weeks. Really awesome.

I saw an 8 series in the philippines of all places.

I also remember visiting a cousin in Riverside California in the late 80's when I was 8 and some random neighbor of his had a white BMW M1 inside his open garage. I told my dad and uncle and they didn't believe me until I dragged them out to see it. I think they talked with the owner for about an hour about that car - my dad has a fetish for the older BMW's and Landcruisers.

Last edited:

Outlaw 06

Reaction score
Yes most BMWs are heavy, but 5-Series and above BMWs are intended to be high-speed autobahn cruisers rather than nimble sport sedans. 3-Series cars with sport-tuned suspensions, manual gearboxes and rear wheel drive are still blasts to drive (regardless of the engine displacement). Just look at how many teams are racing 3-Series BMWs and the occasional Z4M these days (ALMS GT, Gran Am GT, SCCA Club Racing classes, etc.). How many racing teams are driving 5, 6 or 7 Series chassis? There are probably many very good reasons why they aren’t.

Luckily for BMW enthusiasts, we’re living at the pinnacle of high-performance (in my opinion) and BMW has done an excellent job of giving us a wide range of choices between hardcore performance cars and well-appointed luxury cars. Like all profitable businesses, BMW is supplying what consumers demand (within the confines of onerous regulations issued by a multitude of governments from around the world). As long as BMW keeps producing at least one (naturally aspirated) car that meets my criteria, I’ll continue to be a satisfied and loyal BMW customer.

Last edited:

MSchott

Reaction score
Yes most BMWs are heavy, but 5-Series and above BMWs are intended to be high-speed autobahn cruisers rather than nimble sport sedans. 3-Series cars with sport-tuned suspensions, manual gearboxes and rear wheel drive are still blasts to drive (regardless of the engine displacement). Just look at how many teams are racing 3-Series BMWs and the occasional Z4M these days (ALMS GT, Gran Am GT, SCCA Club Racing classes, etc.). How many racing teams are driving 5, 6 or 7 Series chassis? There are probably many very good reasons why they aren’t.

Luckily for BMW enthusiasts, we’re living at the pinnacle of high-performance (in my opinion) and BMW has done an excellent job of giving us a wide range of choices between hardcore performance cars and well-appointed luxury cars. Like all profitable businesses, BMW is supplying what consumers demand (within the confines of onerous regulations issued by a multitude of governments from around the world). As long as BMW keeps producing at least one (naturally aspirated) car that meets my criteria, I’ll continue to be a satisfied and loyal BMW customer.

Does BMW currently build a normally aspirated car that meets your criteria? I guess the 128i and the M3 are still sans turbo but there is no normally aspirated 3 series. I drive a 2011 328i with the N52 NA inline 6 and it's sweet, smooth and mellifluous. I have also driven the F30 with the new 4 cylinder turbo and while different in character, it's a great engine.

Outlaw 06

Reaction score
Does BMW currently build a normally aspirated car that meets your criteria? I guess the 128i and the M3 are still sans turbo but there is no normally aspirated 3 series. I drive a 2011 328i with the N52 NA inline 6 and it's sweet, smooth and mellifluous. I have also driven the F30 with the new 4 cylinder turbo and while different in character, it's a great engine.

You're correct. With E92 M3 production ending this year, there won’t be any naturally aspirated 3-Series cars in the lineup anymore.

BMW introduced the V8-powered Z4 GTE for the 2013 ALMS season, but (unfortunately) they were granted a waiver so they don’t have to build the required 100 production cars and 1,000 production engines in order for the car to qualify without penalties (unlike the E46 M3 GTR in 2002).

It’s a real shame, but I guess I’ll be keeping my E46 M3 for a long time (it's a 2004 with only 33k miles on it). CPO E9X M3s will be an option for a while too. Then I guess I'll have to either embrace forced induction or move on to another brand...

MSchott

Reaction score
You're correct. With E92 M3 production ending this year, there won’t be any naturally aspirated 3-Series cars in the lineup anymore.

BMW introduced the V8-powered Z4 GTE for the 2013 ALMS season, but (unfortunately) they were granted a waiver so they don’t have to build the required 100 production cars and 1,000 production engines in order for the car to qualify without penalties (unlike the E46 M3 GTR in 2002).

It’s a real shame, but I guess I’ll be keeping my E46 M3 for a long time (it's a 2004 with only 33k miles on it). CPO E9X M3s will be an option for a while too. Then I guess I'll have to either embrace forced induction or move on to another brand...

Your E46 M3 is a Bimmer enthusiast's dream car. Especially those who think the brand has lost their way since the advent of the E90. Even Cadillac thinks the E46 sets the bar for handling in this class.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
10-15 years from now an e46 m3 6spd in pristine condition should be worth quite a bit of money.

I need to pick one up before the price inflation begins.

Last edited:

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a Lexus LF-A today. May have been the most spendy car I have ever seen. Definitely distinctive.

Also, props to whomever used the word 'mellifluous."

~ H

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I apologize if you already know this as I haven't read all the previous pages in this thread but there is already a 4 door 6 series, the lovely Gran Coupe.

yes. the first time I saw one I spit on it

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
let's see if we can make the next couple of pages all about BMW's

10-15 years from now an e46 m3 6spd in pristine condition should be worth quite a bit of money.

I need to pick one up before the price inflation begins.

i think it's unlikely. BMW made what, 80-90,000 of these things? too many

if anything, it's probably the '65 Mustang of my (our?) generation (not rare, but holds some value because of its looks and nostalgia effect), but not as valuable as the rarer cars of its generation like the Chevelle SS or the GTO Judge

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It won't be hard, the previous 150 already are without a concerted effort.

Again: http://www.styleforum.net/t/348236/bmw-only

I think the new thread makes sense. Depends on whether posters want to be dickheads or not but I've created the thread in the interests of the forum. So hopefully it works but around here the trolls usually win the day.

Last edited:

MSchott

Reaction score
i think it's unlikely. BMW made what, 80-90,000 of these things? too many

if anything, it's probably the '65 Mustang of my (our?) generation (not rare, but holds some value because of its looks and nostalgia effect), but not as valuable as the rarer cars of its generation like the Chevelle SS or the GTO Judge

Had no idea BMW made that many. Still, pretty rare in the US these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads