• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Two quick shots..something English or so (I'm really a newb w/r/t cars)

Thats a Morgan Plus 4 from maybe the early 90's or so. Really hard to tell because they have made them to look the same for like 50 years. I have one of those in my dream car garage, plus a classic MB G-wagen - both are probably the only cars to have been made the same basic way for so long. True classics.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Yup, it's nice.

What's up with the car that looks a little like this Jaguar, just "modern", non-convertible, more compact design? I've seen it a few times now and have no idea.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That is the Wiesmann, it's a boutique car made with BMW ///M engines. Seems fun but I think they're ugly, and also only avaialble in the EU.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't love nor hate them. They're not very common either.

Last edited:

arced

Reaction score

Rambo's advice here is the advice sites like Edmunds, Carbuyingtips.com, etc give you and it's usually good to follow. I helped my younger sister buy a new Accord about 6 years ago, did this, and got her a fantastic deal. So it can work.
Having said that, I recently found this does not always work. When I first started shopping for my car, I was toying with the idea of buying new. Wanted to compare my monthly payments and overall cost versus buying something slightly used (like I ended up doing). Basically, I found some dealerships simply started sending me automated emails trying to get me into the dealership. A few of the ones that did write me back, expressed confusion over what model I was looking for even after I gave them detailed responses with the specific options. It became obvious they were trying to jerk me around to get me to visit the dealership. Out of the few that were up front and gave me pricing, only two were within range of what a "best quote" should actually be based on the holdbacks, customer cash and other incentives. One actually had the balls to email me a photo he took of the window sticker that had the MSRP on it! :fu:
So why was my experience this time so drastically different then the past? I'm not sure, other then I wonder if dealerships are wise to these strategies now. Everyone has access to the internet and are likely reading the same tips, from the same sources. Maybe they have their own strategies in place, developed over years, to counter them. Now I will admit I didn't press it beyond an initial round of emails or two because I had switched gears back to shopping used, but it was a shaky start to something I expected to be a much more smooth process.
Some other thoughts, based on what I have researched and/or experienced, I want to share.
1. Don't take for granted that the person writing you is the "internet sales manager" or that the dealership even has that. It's a common tactic for sales people to intercept initial emails and pretend they are this, to make you believe you are communicating with the person who can give you the best possible pricing. The same goes for "fleet managers" and your best bet there is to call first and try and get the name from the receptionist who answers the phone.
2. By all means get pre-approved for a loan if you can. It's great bargaining power. Just understand that it may be challenging to get a large, new car, loan from a credit union or bank unless you have A+ credit. Otherwise, it is often easier to score a loan from the dealership because they will fight to secure you one as it makes them money.
3. Know your credit score BEFORE you start the shopping process. Pay they small fee and get a report, with score, from all three companies. That way you don't have any surprises.
4. Keep in mind that the advice Rambo really only works on new car buying. If you are shopping used, you will find pricing all over the place. At best, Edmunds and KBB can give you ranges to base your negotiation on. Even then, be prepared to be surprised at some of the pricing you see while shopping.
5. Common wisdom says don't negotiate based on your payment and only talk the final price of the vehicle. This is almost always good advice. The one exception I have found? If you have already been approved for a loan and know the exact APR you will get. That's how I scored the deal I did on my Mustang. Walked into the dealership having already been approved with Ford Motor Credit for a CPO loan. When the sales guy threw out his "rock bottom price," I countered with my monthly payment ceiling. Using an online payment calculator, I already knew what I would be paying for the vehicle based on that monthly payment and my APR. They met my monthly as requested, and I ended up paying two grand less then the guy was trying to get me to agree to.
6. Don't let them fool you by acting like an extra $5 to $15 per month on your payment is not that big of a deal. It adds up! You could end up giving them hundreds or even thousands more over the life of the car.
7. Don't sign anything until you have read every single number on the contract. Dealerships love to sneak in added fees and or extras that amount to little more then bullshit ways to line their pockets. Mine did this and then pleaded ignorance when I called them out on it.
8. If buying new, the speadsheet here can be your best friend.
9. Finally, don't be afraid to get up and walk on the deal. I did that twice over the course of shopping for my car when they tried to **** around with me at the last minute. The car your are looking at, new or used? There will be other ones. You can always make another deal on a different vehicle another day.

Thanks for the advice! It'll be a straightforward cash deal, so that should cut down on the complications. I'm now trying to decide between a new car or a slightly used one (loaner car, etc.). Unfortunately, the Camry Hybrid is both well loved (consumer reports, NYT, etc.), low stocks, and the 2013s haven't been announced yet. I'm also looking at the Altima which might have better negotiating angles to it.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for the advice! It'll be a straightforward cash deal, so that should cut down on the complications. I'm now trying to decide between a new car or a slightly used one (loaner car, etc.). Unfortunately, the Camry Hybrid is both well loved (consumer reports, NYT, etc.), low stocks, and the 2013s haven't been announced yet. I'm also looking at the Altima which might have better negotiating angles to it.

It might be harder to find a used one with the options/color you want for that vehicle because of the reasons you just stated. I could see the dealer wanting to play hardball with you too. Best bet is to get your pricing figured out and use that spreadsheet I linked to. That website is a wonderful resource, even if it looks dated.

The advantage in paying cash is they may agree to a low-ball offer since they are getting the full amount up front. Just keep in mind dealerships also make money off financing so it could end up working against you too. Honestly, the whole process can be a headache and I understand why some people choose to shop at those "one simple price/no haggle" dealerships even if you don't end up getting the best deal possible. :embar:

Good luck!!!

arced

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement! It's a tiring moment in my life, so the prospect of haggling is slightly exhausting. Does anyone know anything about shopping through AAA or the like (they seem hooked up with Truecar, which used to be ZAG)?

aragon765

Reaction score
I am starting a new job which has a decent commute (30 km's each way) and will require a vehicle. Thus far, we have got by without one, but looks like we will finally have to bite the bullet and purchase something. After narrowing down the many choices out there, we are looking at a VW Golf wagon TDI or a Mazda CX-5. While these are quite different, they are the most appealing of the ~$30,000 models we have looked at interns of efficiency, usability and price.
Wondering if anyone has any input or suggestions in regards to either of these, or something else out there that we should also consider...

PS: thanks for all the recent tips and links on purchasing... Very helpful!! :)

Last edited:

deepitm

Reaction score
Can we please try to stop this thread from derailing into a "How to get the best deal on an ugly car nobody cares about" thread?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn, the CX5 is $30k in Canada?

(Yeah I know Finn, it's $100k over there :lol: )

I think a Tiguan or Rav4 is a better choice but the CX5 is pretty nice too. I was going to suggest the Murano but it's probably $35k-$40k in Canada. I'm sure others would approve of the Gold Wagon TDI here but I am simply not a wagon fan so I'd opt for a crossover over it any day.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Can we please try to stop this thread from derailing into a "How to get the best deal on an ugly car nobody cares about" thread?

The thread has pretty much become "cars we'd like to drive" anyways so I don't see the problem with asking since the thread will pretty much be dead if all we do is wait for someone to post a car they actually drive.

EmJay

Reaction score

Thanks for the encouragement! It's a tiring moment in my life, so the prospect of haggling is slightly exhausting. Does anyone know anything about shopping through AAA or the like (they seem hooked up with Truecar, which used to be ZAG)?

Zero experience w/ AAA, but I do know a fair number of people who have shopped w/ Amex pricing for these very reasons. You simply visit Amex' car site, equip a car, and they'll hook you up with a dealership that is willing to sell said car at a modest pre-negotiated markup over invoice. You may not get the absolute best deal, but you'll get a good deal and won't have to deal with any haggling. Can be a good way to go for a bunch of folks.

For what it's worth, I actually find haggling to be kind of fun. Certainly was when I was purchasing a BMW in December of '09 (first car purchase ever btw). Granted, I live in an area where there are BMW dealers all over the place so it's just unbelievably easy to play them off of each other. And I was also haggling during the last week of December. And I also had invoice pricing sheets as well as other goodies (snagged off of some BMW forums) in hand. At one point I was sitting in one BMW dealer with another on my cell, debating with both managers whether their respective choices of bathroom tissue, high or low wattage light bulbs, dealer decor, and frequency of sweeping, etc. was the reason one was giving me $200 less than the other. As long as you don't come off as a dick and realize that you're the guy with all of the money and ultimate decision making, the process can be fairly entertaining, particularly when the dealer also wants to move inventory. And yeah, got a really great deal on a 3er.

aragon765

Reaction score

If it will make you feel better, I will post a picture of my ugly car that nobody cares about after I purchase it to keep the thread on track.... I just thought it would be better to post the question hee rather than start a new thread that no one would read...

RFX45 - thanks for the comments, I have considered the Tiguan as well, and they offering 0% financing on a new one which helps make it a bit more attractive. It is pricier than than the CX-5, however...

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Doesn't Costco also have a service to buy cars?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads