• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

epb

Reaction score

BBS-style wheels (like the CSL) work on a lot of cars. But that teardrop wheel just doesn't look good.

Thanks for your input, and impolyt-one's. I like them and will be keeping them for a bit, but I'd have to say reaction has been mixed and that's food for thought. :cool:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I didn't see the first pic the first time around, but those CH's would look much better re-painted back to regular silver in Wurth or Einszett or something. :devil: Probably the best look for that car. The open area between the spokes, mild concave center, and fairly flat face design of the CH melds nicely with the Z3 design elements, they repeat the car's design elements somewhat - and they're of the same time period as well, I'm a fan of period-correct mods on cars.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For example, another BMW with OEM wheels that just don't match - the car itself and the wheels themselves are both pretty cool, and are of successive generations - but German car design just leaps pretty far forward each generation since they take like 6-8 years to really refresh them.

Ian_Sepia_Sig.jpg

Just doesn't look right, and it's kind of obvious.

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im kind of a newb when it comes to terms on bmw's (raised a vw guy..family owned a perf. vw shop etcetc) what is "bangle era" I've read some of you mentioning? I just got a 325i a month or so ago so much more lowered end power and smoother band than vw's for sure. ..(my 2nd 325i...the other was a e30 when i was in Europe..awesome ride)

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got rid of the STi last year and picked up this in January. Spent the summer at the track, although not as often as I'd like.

I'll try to get a better picture. This was taken when I picked it up from the seller.

Here is some video of me sliding around on a very damp track: [VIDEO][/VIDEO]. This was the first non-rainy session of the day, so I was feeling out the grip levels while showing my passenger my line.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
nice brian

epb

Reaction score

Im kind of a newb when it comes to terms on bmw's (raised a vw guy..family owned a perf. vw shop etcetc) what is "bangle era" I've read some of you mentioning?

Chris Bangle was the controversial head of BMW design for about 10 years, and moved BMW's design towards its current "flame surface" aesthetic. The first car released under his reign was the 2002 7-series, the last the 2006 3-series. HIs protege Adrian Van Hooydonk is the current head of design.

He's seen as controvesial because the old-school BMW enthusiasts hated the departure from the more conservative look the cars traditionally had (often referred to as "the same sausage in 3 diferent lengths"), but he achieved record sales (and they continue to rise) and moved their customer demographic to ~10 years younger.

In my opinion, both parties were right. The BMWs before are masterpieces of understated design, especially the E39 5-series and E38 7-series, but the company needed to move forward on the design front and the sales results speak for themselves. Even the debate is a positive - there was little to talk about as far as BMW design after the 8-series debuted. The Z3 coupe, while funky and interesting, doesn't reflect a design aesthetic, as it was simply cobbled together by engineers that wanted a Z3 that could be raced.

Last edited:

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bangle's term was 17 years: 1992 to 2009. The E46 and E39, widely considered to be two of the best-looking recent BMWs, were done under him. The E65 7 series was the first car of his new design language.

--Andre

epb

Reaction score

Bangle's term was 17 years: 1992 to 2009. The E46 and E39, widely considered to be two of the best-looking recent BMWs, were done under him. The E65 7 series was the first car of his new design language.

Bangle worked for BMW design that long, true, but when people refer to Bangle-era cars (as the other poster was asking) they're talking about the E65 forward when his design philosophy was in control of the entire model range. I've never heard anyone call an E46 or E39 a "Bangle" car. His detractors frequently don't acknowledge he worked on anything they liked.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bangle worked for BMW design that long, true, but when people refer to Bangle-era cars (as the other poster was asking) they're talking about the E65 forward when his design philosophy was in control of the entire model range. I've never heard anyone call an E46 or E39 a "Bangle" car. His detractors frequently don't acknowledge he worked on anything they liked.

That's unfortunately true, because the guy really elevated design in the car industry. I still remember some videos BMW used to have where Bangle talked about the various features of an E46 with as much enthusiasm and energy as when he's going on about the flame-surfaced cars.

--Andre

foulard

Reaction score
this is a picture of my daily drive. Same as mine but not my photo.[ATTACHMENT=762]3200gt.jpg (49k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. I enjoyed the 3 series up until the e46..I'm still not keen on the newest ones, maybe it'll grow on me? I just prefer the clean lines of the older ones to the more curvaceous new ones..the back on them are kind of hideous to me. As far as the z3 I loved my friend's Z3 coupe but not so fond on the soft tops. My other friend had a m5 (06) it was fast but just didn't appeal to me (or him) but now he's got an 8 series..the thing is pure sex. Okay enough rambling. Thank you for clearing that up.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the E9x 3 series is not as pretty as the e46 for sure, which is a shame because the x35 tt versions really are brilliant cars

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reincarnation