• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you put on your Uber hat this weekend for st patty's day festivities? I don't know that its as big of a celebration time down there...but the uber drivers around my 'hood must have been making bank.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sounds like a more expensive BRZ

Handling may be close, but I can't say, given that I haven't driven a BR-Z.

Acceleration will not even be close.

Did you put on your Uber hat this weekend for st patty's day festivities? I don't know that its as big of a celebration time down there...but the uber drivers around my 'hood must have been making bank.

Nope. Went to Austin to meet up with some friends for SXSW.

In retrospect, I should have. SXSW this year kinda blew and I'm pretty sure I could have made over a grand Uber-ing. Was getting emails from Uber about how insane activity is during St. Patty's. Constant surge pricing.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
GF does the M235i have that infernal "active sound" **** too? The guys at Cobb and their competitors must be frothing at the mouth to get their hands on this for R&D

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, later this year I may need to get a large(r) performance sedan. I actually wanted to go with another sports car, but certain business and wifely considerations most likely will change all this.

I don't want something a step down from my current M3, so I guess the standard M, AMG and Panameric suspects will be looked at. I realize I've been critical of the M5 in these pages previously, but it still bears looking at.

Oh well, the fun is in the search sometimes, isn't it?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

GF does the M235i have that infernal "active sound" **** too? The guys at Cobb and their competitors must be frothing at the mouth to get their hands on this for R&D

It does. And quite frankly, it sounds good to me, objectively speaking. Ideally, it would be real induction noise from a purist POV, but what can ya do?

I saw a youtube video where a guy unplugged some wiring in his car (I forget which model) to disable active sound and there was virtually no induction noise upon acceleration. His cabin was quiet and it sucked.

Also, later this year I may need to get a large(r) performance sedan. I actually wanted to go with another sports car, but certain business and wifely considerations most likely will change all this.

I don't want something a step down from my current M3, so I guess the standard M, AMG and Panameric suspects will be looked at. I realize I've been critical of the M5 in these pages previously, but it still bears looking at.

Oh well, the fun is in the search sometimes, isn't it?

Will you be selling the M3?

I'd honestly consider a Tesla Model S P85.

**** the Panamera. Too ugly.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GF does the M235i have that infernal "active sound" **** too?

Still hung up on moot **** that has nothing to do with performance, eh? :embar:

FWIW, I was critical of the M5 during the first week aka dating phase but once we entered the honeymoon phase all bets were off and I really came to love the thing. So much so that I am doing everything in my power to place and order by the end of the year (Monte Carlo Blue/Sakhir Orange for me). I wish I could elaborate on what I liked about the car, but it's something you have to experience first hand. And unfortunately not too many people have the opportunity to put in a solid month behind the wheel one without actually owning it. While I was very critical of the size, once you get used to it, it becomes a very easy car to drive and it almost shrinks in size if that makes sense. Performance doesn't even need to be addressed - it's a rocketship, simple as that.

BMW is putting some major lease support behind the M5 and you can get behind the wheel of one from pretty damn close to what the M3/4 is going to cost. So if you're looking for a new car, and it fits your budget, it's a no brainer. E AMG is supposed to be a better car but the payment is way more.

Good luck!

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm hung up because I still remember what M used to stand for. Not a huge difference between active sound and the fake blow off valves that the rice boys put on their cars. But thanks for the review :)

the M5 is still objectively one of the best cars in the segment - I'm sure many will say it is the best. So I can't dismiss it. I also agree they you tend to get a lot more for your money with M over the equivalent AMG. But I've got 6-7 months before I need to get this next car.

What I really wanted was an orange superleggera :cry:

Last edited:

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to go look at the thing, but what are your thoughts on putting people in the back of the m235 (on rare occasion)? A baby seat? I don't have kids or people for the back seat right now, but I'll probably still have the car when I do.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're gonna need a machete in the backseat to chop off your passenger's legs if you want them to fit.

I could maybe see a baby seat fitting back there but the tight space will make it difficult.

Would not recommend as a practical family car, tbh.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm 6'2 and have ridden in the back of an old 911 (maybe there were even 3 people in the back?)...it wasn't comfortable, but it was doable for a few miles.

Can't be worse than that!

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It does. And quite frankly, it sounds good to me, objectively speaking. Ideally, it would be real induction noise from a purist POV, but what can ya do?

I saw a youtube video where a guy unplugged some wiring in his car (I forget which model) to disable active sound and there was virtually no induction noise upon acceleration. His cabin was quiet and it sucked.
Will you be selling the M3?

I'd honestly consider a Tesla Model S P85.

**** the Panamera. Too ugly.

Having driven both extensively, the Tesla is vastly superior in almost every way. I hated the giant center screen in the Tesla, but there was no denying it was a better car then the Panamera. If they redesign the Tesla interior and increase the range a bit I will buy one.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member