• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I disagree. All the Porsche models are significantly distinct from each other. The same can be said about Audi. BMW, less so, especially with the new 3 and 5 series and how their tail lights are essentially the same. Even then, show me any car from them and I can immediately tell which model it is.
When I see any type of Aston, I can never, ever tell them apart. The new Vanquish does look significantly different, both in comparison to its old body style, and relative to the other models.
But overall, I don't think Astons are particularly beautiful either. I'm getting tired of their tail lights (same can be said for Maserati). Not saying they're ugly cars. They just don't evoke the kind of response I get from a Ferrari, for example.

:facepalm:

A4

A6

A8

I believe Audi even made a statement owning up that their cars look too similar and are looking to distinguish them from each other soon.

That said, I have zero trouble differentiating any Porsche, Audi, BMW, or Aston for that matter from one another...I'm surprised any of you fellow car nerds would have trouble...

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I disagree. All the Porsche models are significantly distinct from each other. The same can be said about Audi.

Remove the Cayenne and Panamera, randomly pick 10 Porsches and put it in a line-up and let's see how many people could identify which is which. They have practically 20 different 911's and the Boxster & Cayman will easily blend in with 911's if you remove the badge. No other brands in the world has the "all looks the same" theme than Porsche, even from gen to gen people could barely tell the difference.

As for Audi, they barely started changing the headlight and taillights shape but really one is just a bigger version of the other. Look at the last gen Audi's, just look at the front and you won't be able to tell the A3, A4, A5, A6, etc... from one another. They all have their brands distinct look and Lexus is getting in on the game with their spindle grill expanding all through their vehicles too.

Of course enthusiast and owner will be able to tell a Turbo 911 from the standard 911 but you really can't say those cars are all distinct from each other unless you memorize every little detail on each model/car to differentiate them.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
it's pretty easy to tell the difference between a 911 Carrera S and a 911 Carerra 4S. If you look at the rear, there 4S has the emblem of a 4 right before the S, thus distinguishing it as the 4S. Everybody should know this, it makes the models clearly distinguishable.

Last edited:

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Porsche sports cars do all tend to look alike, and BMW's also going back to the one sausage, different lengths model, too (for the better).

But one way to tell cars apart, or at least how much power they make, is to look at how much actual radiator (ie. the stuff that has cooling fluid going through it instead of the shiny chrome bits for branding) you can see. Once you start looking for this, cars all look very different, even between the same body but different engines (550 vs. 535).

BTW, the Turbo 911 has air intakes between the doors and the rear wheels like most mid-engined cars. The NA cars don't.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

The Porsche sports cars do all tend to look alike, and BMW's also going back to the one sausage, different lengths model, too (for the better).
But one way to tell cars apart, or at least how much power they make, is to look at how much actual radiator (ie. the stuff that has cooling fluid going through it instead of the shiny chrome bits for branding) you can see. Once you start looking for this, cars all look very different, even between the same body but different engines (550 vs. 535).
BTW, the Turbo 911 has air intakes between the doors and the rear wheels like most mid-engined cars. The NA cars don't.

if given the current Aston Martin lineup, could you tell that they're different?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

if given the current Aston Martin lineup, could you tell that they're different?

Is anyone denying that they all look alike?

I think I could easily tell the Vanquish from the Vantage to the Zagato to DBS/DB9.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can easily tell apart every single model of Audi, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, etc.

The only one I can definitively not distinguish, and frankly, not care about, is Aston Martin.

That's all I was saying.

And W/A, I KNEW someone was going to call that bolded part out with Audi, which is why I phrased it that way. At least someone took the bait. You linked all the models of Audi and yes, I see the point you're trying to make, but they all look significantly (significant, not as in radically different, but different enough) different to the point where I wouldn't hesitate in being able to distinguish any model from another.

I'm 100% positive that if I liked and cared more about Aston Martin, I would know the different design elements unique to each model and easily be able to tell the difference between their cars, but I just don't.

No need to get y'alls panties in a bunch, jesus lol.

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No need to get y'alls panties in a bunch, jesus lol.

No one is getting mad dude, just because people pointed out your mistake doesn't necessarily mean people are mad. You said it yourself, you aren't interested in Astons so you can't tell it apart and if you liked it then you'd probably be able to.

In your initial post though, you generalized w/o mentioning that it is only to your point of view so understand it if people are mislead by your post.

All the Porsche models are significantly distinct from each other. The same can be said about Audi.

If you simply posted that to you, you can't tell Astons apart because you don't care about them but could tell Audis and Porsches apart because you like them more and more familiar with them, then the conversation ends there.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i, too, can distinguish between all the car models from a company that has one car model.

I guess you've never heard of the huayra.

No one is getting mad dude, just because people pointed out your mistake doesn't necessarily mean people are mad. You said it yourself, you aren't interested in Astons so you can't tell it apart and if you liked it then you'd probably be able to.
In your initial post though, you generalized w/o mentioning that it is only to your point of view so understand it if people are mislead by your post.
If you simply posted that to you, you can't tell Astons apart because you don't care about them but could tell Audis and Porsches apart because you like them more and more familiar with them, then the conversation ends there.

Fair enough. I wasn't clear in the beginning.

And getting your panties in a bunch doesn't mean you're mad. You and I are able to have a civil conversation. Gomestar, on the other hand -- his panties are in a bunch.

^ watch him now call me out for including Pagani despite it having only two major model line ups. He's so freaking predictable and I'm actually enjoying kinda saying troll-ish things to elicit a response from him :laugh:.

Last edited:

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i, too, can distinguish between all the car models from a company that has one car model.

lulz

I knew you were baiting. True you can tell the difference (oh that one is bigger or has more chrome on it and fancier wheels!) but the general lines (much like with Aston) are cohesive in a way that might be considered too much of a carbon copy and increase/decrease in scale...

Almost all car manufacturers are falling into this design pigeon holing (look at Lexus for god's sake!) and I actually am not the biggest fan of it.

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lexus' spindle grill is growing on me, I am starting to like it but probably not to a point where it's a must own if I were in the market. I'm interested to see how the new IS looks and performs though. Hopefully they come out with a coupe version too, not just some terribly shaped convertible.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member