• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i wonder if it's not *spontaneous* but more like exposure to errant rock skips etc , side windows are also tempered afaik and they no go boom
They very much go boom. That's why the spark plug ceramic trick works so easily for smash-and- grabs

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
Tempered glass can have 'inclusions;' tiny bits of crap in the glass when it's made up, that can cause these issues down the road--no pun intended-- over time is the better expression. Temperature or vibration can set them off. BOOM! Don't ask me how I know.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happened to me too because of an improperly installed window track. Window edge gets torqued beyond the breaking point, and boom! I thought someone shot at me with a sniper rifle

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my recently damaged wheel is now relegated to winter use.

DSC04201.jpg

@otc You were spot on about the comprehensive policy covering the damage only if it fell from a vehicle or was flung into the air by another vehicle. Had I simply run over an object, it would have been a collision claim (which would impact rates much more than comprehensive my agent tells me).

I ordered wheels/tires from Neuspeed directly. They arrived mounted and balanced in four separate boxes so fairly easy to manage. I put them on in the driveway yesterday before the rain hit. I knew that big ass torque wrench was a solid investment.

New wheels are 19x9 vs 19x8.5 for stock and they sit about a half inch closer to flush than the OEM setup. Looking at it really makes me want to lower it but I won't mess with it. It rides so well stock. Forgive the dirty car, we are in the midst of a hurricane/tropical storm (and it was parked on the top floor on an airport parking garage all week).

DSC04219.jpg
DSC04221.jpg
DSC04222.jpg

OEM (19x8.5) wheels for reference.

DSC03318a.jpg

I didn't dislike the look of the stock wheels but they were a horrible pa1n in the @ss to clean. I ceramic coated the new wheels and also have lower dust pads now so hopefully I won't go mad trying to keep these clean.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice, what did insurance do for you?

I assume they didn’t spring for 4 new rims :D, but maybe they could eat the cost of 1 OEM rim plus some depreciated value on 4 new tires since it is AWD.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume they didn’t spring for 4 new rims :D, but maybe they could eat the cost of 1 OEM rim plus some depreciated value on 4 new tires since it is AWD.
Exactly right again. Do you do insurance consulting on the side? We need to shop our homeowner's and auto renewal this year if you have some time for a quick zoom meeting :-D.

Not surprisingly the OEM rim was just over $1000. With the tires it subsidized a purchase I was likely going to make at some point.

Even though I have dedicated winter tires, I decided to go with the Pilot Sport A/S instead of the PS4S. I loved the PS4S on the GTI but for my daily driver I wanted something that will last a bit longer and not have to worry about a summer tire when temps can drop unexpectedly in the fall and spring.

Incidentally, is this your side gig??

00liby.jpg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nope, no insurance experience! I wasn’t qualified enough to take the farmers exam.

I did the same on my GTI. I have dedicated winter wheels, but especially around here I thought it prudent to stick with a performance all season. Easy to have a long period where the high temps are enough to melt through snow tires but can still get evening temps that drop too low/precipitation plus mountain passes.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Exactly right again. Do you do insurance consulting on the side? We need to shop our homeowner's and auto renewal this year if you have some time for a quick zoom meeting :-D.

Not surprisingly the OEM rim was just over $1000. With the tires it subsidized a purchase I was likely going to make at some point.

Even though I have dedicated winter tires, I decided to go with the Pilot Sport A/S instead of the PS4S. I loved the PS4S on the GTI but for my daily driver I wanted something that will last a bit longer and not have to worry about a summer tire when temps can drop unexpectedly in the fall and spring.

Incidentally, is this your side gig??

View attachment 2028209
Yes, but he's actually the emu.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FL is only #5 on that list but I bet we’re #1 if you factor in the spectacular-ness of the crashes

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The other uniquely great thing about FL is that even though 1 in 5 cars on the road are going to have an accident, you can very easily identify which one it is, and distance yourself accordingly .

They are:
- cars driving way too fast or slow for the traffic conditions (I’m talking about 100+ and 50- on the highway)
- it’s really obvious when someone is lost/on their phone/high
- left lane campers (although they’ll cause the accident for someone else, not themselves
- cars that weave and in and out of traffic
- Altimas

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Probably Southern states are more lenient in what can be driven legally.
I'm not sure that explains it. California doesn't give a flying f*** about your car's roadworthiness as long as it passes smog and you pay your registration fee.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads