• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any reason why S4 vs S5? (not a fan of the sportback? or just wanted something smaller)

Pretty much both though the size difference is closer than I thought. Now that you mention it, I never even considered or drove the S5, I was looking at S3 vs S4. I prefer the classic sedan vs the sportback and think the S4 is the right size for a sedan. I remember loving the B5 era S4 from the early 00's. Obviously cars have gotten bigger since then which is why I thought the S3 would be the right car with go kart like agility, lightweight, sportier, etc.

However, the S4 was more comfortable, quieter, has a bigger engine w/50 more HP, more amenities, better tech and it's not that much bigger than the S3 (10"/25cm longer and an 1"/2.5cm wider) but feels roomier inside.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Pretty much both though the size difference is closer than I thought. Now that you mention it, I never even considered or drove the S5, I was looking at S3 vs S4. I prefer the classic sedan vs the sportback and think the S4 is the right size for a sedan. I remember loving the B5 era S4 from the early 00's. Obviously cars have gotten bigger since then which is why I thought the S3 would be the right car with go kart like agility, lightweight, sportier, etc.

However, the S4 was more comfortable, quieter, has a bigger engine w/50 more HP, more amenities, better tech and it's not that much bigger than the S3 (10"/25cm longer and an 1"/2.5cm wider) but feels roomier inside.

It is a shame that a lot of auto manufacturers don't allow the best tech features on the smaller cars.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I would get it if there were single product offerings and they wanted to push you to higher end vehicles.

But cars today can have a ridiculous array of trim packages and options. There’s no reason you couldn’t offer all the fancy bits in a premium package for those who want the small car with loaded features.

Unfortunately the real reason at this point is just that Americans love big cars or at the very least are unconstrained by them (low fuel prices, ample parking spaces, no real licensing/insurance/registration differences). The average small car is bought by someone shopping on a budget, even in the luxury case, and so there’s little demand for packages that make them as expensive as the larger models. If offered the upgrade at the same cost, 95% of US s3 buyers would probably take the s4. Ditto for something like a q3 vs q5.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I was just thinking about how Europe helps dictate speed by narrowing roads because I drive by a sign that said "narrow road ahead" and a better definition would have been "slightly more narrow road ahead."

Could we even implement they here? With such massive cars it might be more dangerous to try.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking about how Europe helps dictate speed by narrowing roads because I drive by a sign that said "narrow road ahead" and a better definition would have been "slightly more narrow road ahead."

Could we even implement they here? With such massive cars it might be more dangerous to try.

this does happen in the us , sometimes it's striping ( a la 'road diet' ) sometimes it's with curb bump outs or wholesale realignment i'm sure there are other schemes

of course outside of a vacuum these types of improvements don't necessarily translate to intended outcomes

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
**** your parking "suggestions". And apparently **** the brand new premium Scottish hides also -- let's let them bake in the California sun for a few hours while the seagulls **** all over.

🤷‍♂️

1658528581297.jpeg

Last edited:

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** your parking "suggestions". And apparently **** the brand new premium Scottish hides also -- let's let them bake in the California sun for a few hours while the seagulls **** all over.

🤷‍♂️

View attachment 1814997
You sending this to the wife as inspiration?

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was interested in the EV Hummer until I saw how big it is. It has a lot of cool features, decent range, removable roof panels, etc. but the reviews all mention that it is absolutely massive and feels like you’re taking up more than one lane while driving. I like the idea of an SUV that has the removable panels like Bronco/Jeep, but more space and storage. I’m sure more will come as SUVs continue to sell and people want new features.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was interested in the EV Hummer until I saw how big it is. It has a lot of cool features, decent range, removable roof panels, etc. but the reviews all mention that it is absolutely massive and feels like you’re taking up more than one lane while driving. I like the idea of an SUV that has the removable panels like Bronco/Jeep, but more space and storage. I’m sure more will come as SUVs continue to sell and people want new features.
apparently the battery alone weights 2,900lbs... wonder at what point the cost/use of the precious metals outweighs the 'greenness' of not using gas

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads