• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carmina group MTO interest check

booyaolian

Reaction score
I was going to buy Wholecut, Navy Shell rain last from Carmina.
However, I got Betty's response about sizing. If you are a D go for Simpson since Rain last is too roomy.

Unfortunately MTO is out of my price range, $651 euro exclude VAT and $50 euro shipping.
I am wondering if there's an interest on

=============================
Last: Simpson

leather: Navy Shell Cordovan

style going for:
Slick Oxford with Navy shell Cordovan, open for suggestion.

ie

captoe - http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/wp-c...18/GhYc9FtpWmY/s640/small_STC-10808-Pose1.jpg

or

http://www.leatherfoot.com/shop/shoes/carmina-shoemaker/car-910-902
=============================

Not sure how many people we need for price to be around $500-600 USD, the non MTO price, if that's even possible.
However, it's 6 people to start the MTO groupbuy

Last edited:

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think organizing a group MTO without going through established retailers (ie, Gentlemens Footwear, Epaulet, Unipair, Skokie, etc) will be difficult. Also, if you go through the retailers then shell MTOs are generally about $800.

That said, I am a navy shell whore and would generally be interested in any Simpson last configuration with a preference for the captoe in your examples (or thinking outside the box, a single monk split toe...).

booyaolian

Reaction score

I think organizing a group MTO without going through established retailers (ie, Gentlemens Footwear, Epaulet, Unipair, Skokie, etc) will be difficult. Also, if you go through the retailers then shell MTOs are generally about $800.

That said, I am a navy shell whore and would generally be interested in any Simpson last configuration with a preference for the captoe in your examples (or thinking outside the box, a single monk split toe...).

Thanks for the heads up, I am gonna use retailer.
I don't think people would trust me enough to paypal me their money. I only created this thread so it won't get buried in that 400 pages thread.
However, $800, hm..killer. I'd say still doable if it's shipped price. Even though not far off from the 650 euro Betty quote me.
Not gonna be interested in Monk. I personally think it's a fad and not rich enough to buy into trends.

Can't go wrong with Captoe though, we'll see how it turn out.

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the heads up, I am gonna use retailer.
I don't think people would trust me enough to paypal me their money. I only created this thread so it won't get buried in that 400 pages thread.
However, $800, hm..killer. I'd say still doable if it's shipped price. Even though not far off from the 650 euro Betty quote me.
Not gonna be interested in Monk. I personally think it's a fad and not rich enough to buy into trends.

Can't go wrong with Captoe though, we'll see how it turn out.

Good luck on your MTO quest, I will be watching.

WRT monks being a fad we will have to agree to disagree. They might be more in currently but they will never be out. No skin off my back either way.

booyaolian

Reaction score

Good luck on your MTO quest, I will be watching.

WRT monks being a fad we will have to agree to disagree. They might be more in currently but they will never be out. No skin off my back either way.
They were always there, but never in till now. At least not I know of, before my time if there was a time..
While Oxford will never be out! That's a fact

Last edited:

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
most of the retailers will ask for 50% up front which helps big time because a $800 shoe becomes $400 now and $400 in about 3 months. Makes life a little more affordable. I have a few pairs of Bontonis that cost me upwards of $1400-$1600 a pair and it hurt when 2 came in at a time.

Good luck and I know monks have made a resurgence but they had always been around and a very interesting style.

I disagree with your logic for going oxford style which is more conservative with a navy shell which is the opposite of conservative. If you are going to do something conservative stick with brown or black calf and if you are going to go with something opposite of conservative going with a derby, brogue, monk, or split toe is probably a better fit.

Again I dont really follow any "style" rules but thats my .02

booyaolian

Reaction score

I disagree with your logic for going oxford style which is more conservative with a navy shell which is the opposite of conservative. If you are going to do something conservative stick with brown or black calf and if you are going to go with something opposite of conservative going with a derby, brogue, monk, or split toe is probably a better fit.

Again I dont really follow any "style" rules but thats my .02
You are right, that's why I feel the wholecut with brogue at the tip would work well, conservative with enough casualness.
I already have a grey wingtip, so don't want another full brogue. I think Navy wholecut brogue would work with navy, brown, grey suit, darker casual pants, and jeans.
On the other hand, unsure how navy monk would fair with suits after the current trend fades, might be too casual especially with the navy shell.

Anyway, that's my mentality and due to the fund I would rather spend on the more conservative choice.
After the shell I'll most likely go with a black JLobb or G&G when they are on sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads