• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Career Advice-Three Choices

aglose

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First thread I've started over on this side of the forum, and I'd like to get some advice from all of you. I'm in my junior year and I have three current opportunities for second round interviews with companies. They are in three very different industries as well. The first option is a beer company. The second is a large food and organic beverage company and the last is a solar energy company. Just off of industry, do you feel one would be a better choice going forward? What advice would you give to someone about to enter into the labor force?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was a Marketing Manager in solar.

It's a very strange business. So much of solar is backed up by politics and government money, and there are low barriers to entry in the industry. What this spawns is business that has some money in it, but there is less incentive to weed out the idiots. I was in it when I was a lot younger and there were people above me in the company that felt insecure just because I had been to college. My story is not unique either. I've met many people who've worked in solar and it's been the same story.

That said, if I could do it again, I would do it because it really toughened me up. The nature of my work was very important to the company(lead gen) and a lot of eyes were on me, so I was in a pressure cooker from day one. This was stressful, but also exciting. I loved the glory of a job well done more than anything. It was also a political bloodbath, and surviving the targets on my back in that job has proved to be invaluable to my career since.

My favorite memory was early on the job. Just got hired and they wanted me to make a radio campaign. I did lots of market research to choose the right station, and a lot of work to get a good contract with the radio station, wrote good copy, and a few other things. I knew if the campaign launched and it did not meet the numbers I would be fired ~2 weeks into the job. I found myself in my car at 4:30am in my bath robe and a mug of coffee waiting for the very first ad of mine to play over the radio, then frantically calling in on multiple cell phones to test the phone lines. The calls flooded in. Sales were made. Revenue increased. As David Ogilvy would say that's the first time I "tasted blood."

aglose

Reaction score
I was a Marketing Manager in solar.

It's a very strange business. So much of solar is backed up by politics and government money, and there are low barriers to entry in the industry. What this spawns is business that has some money in it, but there is less incentive to weed out the idiots. I was in it when I was a lot younger and there were people above me in the company that felt insecure just because I had been to college. My story is not unique either. I've met many people who've worked in solar and it's been the same story.

That said, if I could do it again, I would do it because it really toughened me up. The nature of my work was very important to the company(lead gen) and a lot of eyes were on me, so I was in a pressure cooker from day one. This was stressful, but also exciting. I loved the glory of a job well done more than anything. It was also a political bloodbath, and surviving the targets on my back in that job has proved to be invaluable to my career since.

My favorite memory was early on the job. Just got hired and they wanted me to make a radio campaign. I did lots of market research to choose the right station, and a lot of work to get a good contract with the radio station, wrote good copy, and a few other things. I knew if the campaign launched and it did not meet the numbers I would be fired ~2 weeks into the job. I found myself in my car at 4:30am in my bath robe and a mug of coffee waiting for the very first ad of mine to play over the radio, then frantically calling in on multiple cell phones to test the phone lines. The calls flooded in. Sales were made. Revenue increased. As David Ogilvy would say that's the first time I "tasted blood."

Thanks for the insight, I will have to feel out the company when I go for a visit next week. Do you feel that it is a technology that could be the future for power generation? And if you don't mind me asking, how long ago were you in the industry?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think the solar industry is very healthy right now. There has been a glut in supply for years and some high profile companies have gone out of business. Anyway look up the companies you are interested in. Do a news search on the companies and the industries. When you meet with them try to apply some of what you learned from the news to ask well thought out questions to get an idea of what the company may be facing in the short and medium term. Good luck!

aglose

Reaction score
I don't think the solar industry is very healthy right now. There has been a glut in supply for years and some high profile companies have gone out of business. Anyway look up the companies you are interested in. Do a news search on the companies and the industries. When you meet with them try to apply some of what you learned from the news to ask well thought out questions to get an idea of what the company may be facing in the short and medium term. Good luck!

Appreciate the advice, and I always do some research and ask a question about the company, which usually lands me the next interview as long as it is either something that takes some time to answer or something that the person interviewing me can't answer. That is one of the easiest things I think interviewees can do to differentiate themselves from everyone else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads