• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canada Goose

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

OK, it is an investment. My question now is; why does Bain Capital invest in Canada Goose & why does Canada Goose need to be invested?
I'm imagining something like stock though. Can you explain me a little more? Sorry for my ignorance. 

Because they were asked to

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/12/10/canada-goose-sells-majority-stake-to-bain-capital/

A little something about how they work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_equity_firm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_equity

There could a number of reason, why they would need it, but it sounds a lot like they are trying to expand (build new factories etc.)

you should be lol

huh....

Especially with their crazy rising labor costs.

What does international sales with in the last 5-10 years and labour costs have to do with each other?

Their retail pricing was just homogenized, so they cost the same all over the world, which they didn't 5+ years ago. The large difference in msrp., showed their hand, which really wasn't a good idea, as some buyers f.x. in Europe would feel ripped of paying double of what the US or Canada payed.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i meant he should be sorry for his ignorance

Because they were asked to

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/12/10/canada-goose-sells-majority-stake-to-bain-capital/

A little something about how they work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_equity_firm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_equity

There could a number of reason, why they would need it, but it sounds a lot like they are trying to expand (build new factories etc.)
huh....
What does international sales with in the last 5-10 years and labour costs have to do with each other?

Their retail pricing was just homogenized, so they cost the same all over the world, which they didn't 5+ years ago. The large difference in msrp., showed their hand, which really wasn't a good idea, as some buyers f.x. in Europe would feel ripped of paying double of what the US or Canada payed.

Wo Cao

Reaction score

Apologies, this was a case of me not reading far back enough to understand the context. The post you had previously replied to, in which you wrote "that was 5-10 years ago", was a response to someone saying "if they blow up internationally, and need more manufacturing, China may come into play." I was under the assumption that you meant that the attractiveness of clothing companies moving to China is in the past, and was much more common 5-10 years ago, which is true because of China's rising labor costs. Even the Chinese are starting to outsource their clothing production to places like Bangladesh because the costs are so high!

Last edited:

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

chet31

Reaction score
I think I want a Canada Goose, but they are hard to buy. Are there any stores in the USA or Canada carry a large stock? I see a lot of interesting stuff on the Canada Goose website, but can only find smatterings of Canada Goose here and there - usually a Chilliwack or Expedition, usually in black (e.g. Nordstrom in Chicago). In fact, it's even difficult to find it online. Does anybody know of stores in the USA or Canada that carry a large stock of Canada Goose - several different models and colors? I routinely get to Chicago, Minneapolis, and New York, but for the purposes of my question, I don't care about the city.

Sidebar, I also like Arc'Teryx stuff, same deal as Canada Goose, it's hard to find a selection anywhere. Anybody know of an Arc'Teryx "superstore?"

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you tried the website under stockists?

Arcteryx has an online store their website

Last edited:

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I want a Canada Goose, but they are hard to buy. Are there any stores in the USA or Canada carry a large stock? I see a lot of interesting stuff on the Canada Goose website, but can only find smatterings of Canada Goose here and there - usually a Chilliwack or Expedition, usually in black (e.g. Nordstrom in Chicago). In fact, it's even difficult to find it online. Does anybody know of stores in the USA or Canada that carry a large stock of Canada Goose - several different models and colors? I routinely get to Chicago, Minneapolis, and New York, but for the purposes of my question, I don't care about the city.

moosejaw.com, altrec.com, backcountry.com all carry CG. If you have a Nordstrom's in your town they also carry CG. not very hard to find

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are a number of reasons why Bain Capital would have invested in Canada Goose. Their balance sheets could have been bad, their market share could be in jeopardy, or they could simply be looking to expand and become a larger company. Venture capital firms have a bad reputation for no reason. Most of the time, they try to revitalize the companies they invest in so that they can make more money.

I do not think it's wise to assume that just because a venture capital firm invests in a company that said company will move its production overseas. It's certainly possible, but Canada Goose is a luxury brand with a very particular customer base.

but in this case you're talking about Bain Capital, a venture capital firm notorious for offshoring labor and/or liquidating companies. this doesn't bode well for CG imo

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nothing is forsure. they have an manufacturing setup in canada already, if they blow up internationally, and need more manufacturing, china may come into play. i could see them doing some lines or products there, but keeping their flagship pieces at the canadian factory, as a "heritage" or "classic" collection or something.

I have a hard time imagining CG would move production overseas. I mean, they're called "Canada Goose" for a reason.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score

Sidebar, I also like Arc'Teryx stuff, same deal as Canada Goose, it's hard to find a selection anywhere. Anybody know of an Arc'Teryx "superstore?"
Blue in Green has Canada Goose (as a side note, Self Edge has a 900 fill power down jacket, and they're in NY), and Barneys has both Canada Goose and Arc'teryx Veilence.

chet31

Reaction score
Most places, including Nordstrom, carry the Chilliwack and Expedition in black. I have also seen the Chilliwack in red, the Burnett in gray, and the Chateau in black. The CG website has 16 different coats, each available in 8-16 colors. I don't mind buying on-line and exchanging a few times, but it would be fun to see more models and especially, more colors, before taking the plunge. But I get it, they are expensive for retailers to stock and a gigantic selection in one place is not going to happen. Thanks for the suggestions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads