• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can this blazer be saved?

migo

Reaction score
I've acquired this blazer second hand, but I fear the sleeves may be too short to be saved. The shoulders need to be taken in, and I think that will bring up the sleeves higher than they already are. On top of that, I don't think there's enough material to let it out. Anyways, can you guys tell me if the jacket sleeves have enough material for the job. For sake of the pictures, I've buttoned both buttons. The shirt fits me pretty perfectly, so it gives you an idea where the jacket should fall:

IMGP1753.jpg

IMGP1755.jpg

IMGP1760.jpg

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe the sleeves are bit too short, but if I had to choose between what you're showing here and the sleeves I see on everyone (in the real world, not SF) coming down to the second knuckle, I'd take your jacket every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

If you like the sleeve length, even after the shoulder tweaking, go for it! Or maybe they can be let out 1/8-1/4 of an inch and set the tone for all those around you that seeing the back of a hand and a nice shirt cuff is much better than a limp rag hanging down to the fingertips.

englanderjk

Reaction score
Don't think you want the whole cuff exposed, which is likely after the shoulder adjustment. I'd reconsider leaving the shoulder width as-is,...doesn't look bad IMO.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you calculate how much of the extra sleeve material in the sleeve can be used to lengthen it ? For instance if there are 2.5 inches can all 2.5 be used ?

migo

Reaction score
K Thanks guys...just wanted to make sure before I went to the tailor. Guess it's the axe for this one.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I'm not sure about how the shoulder and even chest fits but if those are allright I'd just cut of the sleeves to reveal the wristbone and enjoy the short lenght to wear it with tees and jeans.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
How do you calculate how much of the extra sleeve material in the sleeve can be used to lengthen it ? For instance if there are 2.5 inches can all 2.5 be used ?

You need to feel that how much material is beyond the seam for both shell & lining. Give or take, that is an approximate how much the sleeves can be lengthened.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are one or two suggestions you might try but selling it again or even burning it would seem best.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the B&S forum, there is demand for short sizes

migo

Reaction score
I'm uhh... 5'2"...I'm prettttty sure nobody's going to buy the jacket...unless it's for their kids. It's wide from the shoulders and chest, which is mainly the reason I'm concerned about the sleeves, because they'll be brought up when the shoulders are moved in. Anyway I think I'm just gonna ebay it. It's a BB blazer, so I should fetch a decent amount.

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by migo
I'm uhh... 5'2"...I'm prettttty sure nobody's going to buy the jacket...unless it's for their kids. It's wide from the shoulders and chest, which is mainly the reason I'm concerned about the sleeves, because they'll be brought up when the shoulders are moved in. Anyway I think I'm just gonna ebay it. It's a BB blazer, so I should fetch a decent amount.

well post up the link when u do, im sure some might find it interesting considering its BB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads