• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can these pink shoes be dyed to oxblood?

Cooporilla

Reaction score
ququ2a4e.jpg

These shoes are hideous. However, they are nice construction and very cheap. Any ideas on if they could be dyed to oxblood or even a brown? Thank you in advance for any input.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ququ2a4e.jpg

These shoes are hideous. However, they are nice construction and very cheap. Any ideas on if they could be dyed to oxblood or even a brown? Thank you in advance for any input.

I have no words...
wow.gif

It looks like somebody grabbed some terrible pink paint and painted these, I would imagine they were for a professional clown. I doubt you could overcome the dye or paint in the leather to make it worth the effort.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its not often i lol at an pic of clothing. So that was nice

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are ugly, hideous of colour and I can only assume that some form of inexperience or desire to take up a job as a clown prompted you to buy them.

Learn the obvious lesson, burn them. It will be a blessed relief.

nmfa

Reaction score
Instead of trashing the pink look...

If they are very cheap I suspect that the leather is of "less" quality, "painted" or "corrected" with a "plastic" finish that probably is impossibly to get rid of.

But if the leather is not "corrected" I do not see any problem to clean/strip them with acetone or some other solvent and then dye them with any appropriate dye. As oxblood is very dark color with a reddish base, the light pink should not be a problem. Color wise!

Though my worry is that the leather is of such low quality that it is impossibly to dye !

Cooporilla

Reaction score
They were originally $350 but since no one bought them they're on sale for I'm assuming how much it cost them to make them, $50. And no I have not bought them. I just wanted to see if dying was possible. Either way I'm sure others had as good of a laugh as I did.

Xenon

Reaction score
Any shoe or leather is extremely dye-able. Fiebings and other companys make dyes just for this very purpose. The pink would also be extremely easy to dye and very appropriate as a base for any browns or blues or blacks. Just go to any cobbler and this will be any easy task.

If the leather is very corrected with a heavy coating than this can be easily removed with paint stripper or lacquer thinner-very doable with good results possible.

So you see the color is not any issue and to be honest that pink is the least of your worries as is. The underlying boot shape is very blobby and the toe spring is a complete joke truly only fit for a clown's clown. And for these 2 things there is nothing that can be done.

nmfa

Reaction score
If the leather is very corrected with a heavy coating than this can be easily removed with paint stripper or lacquer thinner-very doable with good results possible.

I can say that all corrected leather can not be stripped! I have a pair of black Herrings that I can not take away a horribly coating. I have tried acetone , terpentine, lacquer thinner and almost every solvent I could find in the chemistry laboratory at work. (I worked as an associate professor and have a Ph.D. in organic chemistry soo I know how to handle solvents.) I had access to most solvent you could ever think of. Some made some serious damage but none realy dissolved the "plastic" coatings .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads